UK cover released

mycoltbug

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmm, I like it! I admit I wasn't that impressed by the US cover art, it never struck me as particularly unique or distinctive. I'm not sure though that I really like the idea of using this style of art for all his books. I wasn't at all a fan of the UK WoK cover and the Mistborn ones are only so-so. I feel like the Elantris cover manages to say a lot more about the book, while still keeping that same stylization (I guess because it shows something happening, rather than just someone).

I'd love to see a cover in this style for Warbreaker.

It reminds me a lot of the Guild Wars novels' covers, which is not a bad thing, but I don't think it fits the style of Elantris. But then I don't think the American cover really captures the feel either. It strikes me more of a science fiction cover than a fantasy cover. But I still really like the American cover.

• 6 months later...

Personally, I vastly prefer the British covers for Mistborn and I think the same about this one for Elantris.

That's not saying much as I don't care much for the original Elantris cover. And by Mistborn covers, I mean the mass market paperback editions, not the American hardback ones, which are actually quite nice.

However, Way of King's American cover is much, much better than its British counterpart. Like, part of my excitement for new Stormlight Archive books comes from anticipating the covers that will arrive alongside them.

I hope we see a Warbreaker edition in this style.

I have the Mistborn Trilogy and The Way of Kings in this UK edition. However, my Elantris is the US cover. I think I may go looking for this edition because I can be a little O.C. with my book collection. :D

I admit I do like the art for the US editions, but these have a minimalist appeal. :)

Personally, I vastly prefer the British covers for Mistborn and I think the same about this one for Elantris.

That's not saying much as I don't care much for the original Elantris cover. And by Mistborn covers, I mean the mass market paperback editions, not the American hardback ones, which are actually quite nice.

However, Way of King's American cover is much, much better than its British counterpart. Like, part of my excitement for new Stormlight Archive books comes from anticipating the covers that will arrive alongside them.

I hope we see a Warbreaker edition in this style.

There is a Warbreaker edition in that style:

Warbreaker%2BUK.png

I like the US and UK Mistborns both pretty much equally, but I think the US cover for Warbreaker is far more evocative than the UK. It honestly looks like Hermione Granger with a sword and wacky colors in the background...

I think the Elantris UK cover is okay, though I like the US one better. I can understand why the UK Elantris would appeal to people. That Warbreaker? Not so much.

I was expecting that Warbreaker would have the best cover in the UK style, but... ummm... :unsure:

I kinda see Hermione now, Chaos. :lol:

And here I was wishing it'll be good so I can get one so all my books will match. Oh well. *shrug* I think I'll stick to looking for the UK Elantris.

yeah, i saw that too. And honestly, i dont like it too terribly much. I think the old US cover is better

Yep, as I've said before, Brandon is one of the very few authors who has worse UK/World English covers than US covers. The Night Angel-style covers worked okay for Mistborn, but they don't seem well-suited to Elantris or WoK.

edit: Just to be clear, I know this is out of Brandon's hands and is the decision of his UK publisher. It just seems derivative and not suited to actually selling his books.

Edited by Ari

Yados, I completely agree with you. Also, darn, the Warbreaker cover isn't as good as the others! The US cover of that is one of my favorites, though, probably right after Way of Kings, which is my favorite.

I agree. The UK Warbreaker is gorgeous. Right behind Way of Kings for me.

• 2 months later...

MMM i wonder if it goes by nationality, americans prefer the american style covers and the english the english.

Because I HATE all american fantasy fiction covers, and adore the english varients and I am english.

Brent Weeks and Tom Lloyds American covers are awful compared to the English, and i feel the same with BS. :lol:

And the Warbreaker cover is fantastic, I like how each series has its own colour scheme, Mistborn Blue, Elantris Green, Stormlight Red and Warbreaker Purple.

Its cool!

• 1 month later...

As to the guy who said Sanderson is one of the few authors with worse UK covers than USA covers, I find the majority of UK covers disgusting. I think it does have something to do with nationality. Most British people I know say they prefer the hardcover Mistborn design, but I actually prefer the mass market paperback.

I don't much like either Elantris cover. What I really want to see is a leather-imitation cover with a gigantic aon Aon in gold on the front, and an aon Rao on the back. Maybe some others on the spine (Shao would fit well). I really like simple, powerful looking books. But that's just my preference.

• 6 months later...

Warbreaker%2BUK.png

This makes me :(

I actually really like the majority of the covers in this art style (I actually prefer this version of Elantris, less... I dunno, generic fantasy?) but the Warbreaker one just looks like no effort went into it.

And as much as I love the WoK versions with these covers, I wish I had the hardback just so I had a copy with the Surgebinding diagram inside :P

As someone else suggested, I'm pretty sure it's a cultural thing - publishers on each side of the pond will choose the art style they think will sell more books, and they have a lot of experience at making these kinds of decisions. I like the fact that I could buy all my Cosmere in a unified art style (although most of them I have on Kindle, I only actually have print copies of WoK in 2-part paperback). I've actually considered re-buying all China Miéville's stuff in the new cover styles (old ones are quite battered anyway :P )

I don't know if this is because I'm British or just a personal preference, but I like the UK covers more. The American cover seems pretty generic fantasy style to me, which I think is totally wrong for portraying the worlds in the cosmere. Brandon's books are pretty unique, and I wouldn't want to compare them to the normal 'knights, wizards and dragons' style book.

I don't know if this is because I'm British or just a personal preference, but I like the UK covers more. The American cover seems pretty generic fantasy style to me, which I think is totally wrong for portraying the worlds in the cosmere. Brandon's books are pretty unique, and I wouldn't want to compare them to the normal 'knights, wizards and dragons' style book.

Agreed.

With the notable exception of Way of Kings, I prefer the UK cover art over the american ones.

Even Warbreaker. Especially Elantris.

I really love that series seem to get specific colors highlighting the white. Stormlight is red. Mistborn is blue. Elantris is green. Warbreaker is purple.

In 10 years, that's going to look mad distinctive on the mammoth bookcase marked Cosmere.

The UK Wheel of Time has the same impact over the US ones too. Great books like this need to be defined clearly for those few window shoppers that haven't taken the time to join discussions on authors like we do. I find myself doing it sometimes aswel, more out of social habit, judging the quality of the content based on the cover of authors I've not heard much about.