TwiLyghtSansSparkles

I couldn't make up my brother's love of guns if I tried. Trust me on this. :mellow: If I create a character with a love of guns, rest assured that this character is based in part on my brother. 

Does he hug them and squeeze them and call them George?

Does he hug them and squeeze them and call them George?

No, but he does take care of them. :P When he cleans them, he'll always walk me through the proper method, and tell horror stories about guns jamming for lack of proper cleaning. I don't own one, but I do want to get one for when I move out. 

How much do you feel "in charge" of WHIO? And what's your least favorite book/series?

I don't know that I consider myself "in charge" of that game. I mean, I'm the GM, and I know that comes with both authority and responsibility, but the atmosphere among players in the Question threads is more relaxed and collaborative than "Oh, Twi, let me ask your permission on this." And I like it better that way. I don't know everything or catch everything, so I'd rather have an environment where players feel free to voice their concerns and make suggestions than one where I'm "in charge" and everyone knows it.

I've been involved with free-form RPGs where the GM was very much "in charge," and at least with the games I played, they weren't much fun. I wound up dropping out of one Incredibles RPG because the GM kept trying to railroad every character, even if his suggestions didn't make sense. What's the fun in that? The players in the Oregon RPG have created some truly memorable characters, and part of what makes them memorable is that they act and think in ways I wouldn't expect. Those are characters that I doubt I could have created, and I'd rather trust their arcs to their creators. We've created a game where the characters drive the plot, and I wouldn't change it for the world. 

My least favorite book or series….let's see….I had a series, but after strolling through my one-star Goodreads shelf, I realized I don't have a least favorite book. I do, however, have a least favorite type of book. 

My least favorite type of book is one that does not deliver on its premise, or one where the story is derailed, hijacked, or mishandled by the author. 

Take The Scarlet Letter as a well-known example of both. First, we have an intriguing setup: A young woman, Hester Prynne, has been branded and shamed by her strict Puritan community for bearing a child outside of wedlock. Although the child's father is seemingly untouched by the scandal, the supernatural meets everyday life, and his secrets begin to unravel. How much of the strange events are real, and how many are projections of Hester and Dimmesdale's guilty consciences? 

This could be a fascinating story. We could see the perspectives of Hester's Puritan neighbors, as they wonder whether or not this kindhearted woman really deserves to be shamed. We could hear from her ex-husband and ponder what drove him to such lengths. We could hear from little Pearl and wonder whether or not she really is possessed, or if she's simply acting out. 

But it isn't. 

Rather than give us a good story, Hawthorne uses far, far too many words to rant and rave against his Puritan ancestors. Members of a flawed and fascinating religious movement are reduced to one-dimensional stereotypes who treat Hester like dirt because OMG SHE CHEATED ON HER CREEPY HUSBAND. Dimmesdale takes no initiative whatsoever. Hester is praised by the narrative for being a doormat. Pearl tears through the novel like a bad-tempered kitten on a caffeine high. I'm no scholar, but I can tell you that I've done more research on the Puritans than Hawthorne ever did, and he was descended from a Puritan minister. (My ancestors, if you were wondering, were Quaker. Kind of the opposite of the Puritans.) By the end of the story, I was sincerely hoping that Chillingsworth would reform and he and Pearl would team up to fight crime back in London and save us from this horrible, boring tract. 

Twi, assuming we would live in a distopian version of our world, which lacks pugs, what kind of pet would you choose to take with you once you move out?

Also Joe ST, because I know your reading this, I thought I might as well tell you that your passionate appeal to other people has caused me to go and start editing the Coppermind. :ph34r:

hey Edge, that was a great edit you made :D thank you for joining in, and I hope you continue XD

*uses this as another avenue to encourage Twi to start wikiying*

I plan to, I just have the habit of tripple checking the relevant book passages before I make an edit, which slows me down considerably. :P

Comic books come under a lot of criticism for the shallow and sometimes exploitive way they depict female characters.

Who, in your opinion, is an example of a female comic character whose characterization is handled well by the narrative and art work?

Twi, assuming we would live in a distopian version of our world, which lacks pugs, what kind of pet would you choose to take with you once you move out?

Also Joe ST, because I know your reading this, I thought I might as well tell you that your passionate appeal to other people has caused me to go and start editing the Coppermind. :ph34r:

No….no pugs? 

pug20141011224705.jpg

WHAT KIND OF A HORRIBLE WORLD HATH MANKIND WROUGHT

Okay, okay, I'll stop pondering the *shudder* reality of that world….

If I absolutely could not have a pug, I think I'd still go for a smaller dog breed. Call me strange, but I tend to like smaller dogs, and they usually like me. So I think I'd pick either a terrier or a Pomeranian. In my experience, those two have the second most personality of smaller dog breeds, and I like dogs with personality. 

hey Edge, that was a great edit you made :D thank you for joining in, and I hope you continue XD

*uses this as another avenue to encourage Twi to start wikiying*

I'll get on it, I promise. :P 

Comic books come under a lot of criticism for the shallow and sometimes exploitive way they depict female characters.

Who, in your opinion, is an example of a female comic character whose characterization is handled well by the narrative and art work?

Good question. I don't read a lot of comics, and I've read even fewer lately, but of those I have read, I think Storm tends to get the best treatment. 

Now, this isn't to say that the artwork doesn't accentuate her *ahem* finer features. In the Ultimate X-Men series especially, she seems to have a deep-seated need to bare her midriff. (Which, to be perfectly honest, doesn't make a whole lot of sense. She can control the weather, including cold weather like snow and freezing rain. Why would a bare midriff be an advantage in a snowstorm I don't understand this somebody please help me) And, like her male comrades, she does usually show her prowess by kicking butt and taking names. 

However, many comics writers have a tendency to give kick-butt female protagonists kick-butt personalities. They equate "strong" with "assertive" and "female" with "flirty." Storm, however, in most of the incarnations I've read (we don't talk about the run in the 80s when she had a mohawk and kind of talked like Mister T) is somewhat shy, a little naive, but also confident. She was worshipped as a goddess by some in her home country, and anyone can see why. Storm doesn't have the Standard Comics Heroine Personality ™, and I think that makes her a stronger character. 

If you could play any instrument, which one would it be?

Drums. 

I don't know why. I really don't. Drummers rarely get the acknowledgement they deserve, and the drum line is rarely written in a song. But then again, maybe that's why I'd want to play drums. All of the drummers I've met (and, my brother formerly being in a band that gained some local acclaim before breaking up, I met quite a few) had a good deal of natural talent, which they channeled into their music. A good drummer can make or break a band, in my opinion, and I've always wondered what drumming was like from the inside. 

Drums. 

I don't know why. I really don't. Drummers rarely get the acknowledgement they deserve, and the drum line is rarely written in a song. But then again, maybe that's why I'd want to play drums. All of the drummers I've met (and, my brother formerly being in a band that gained some local acclaim before breaking up, I met quite a few) had a good deal of natural talent, which they channeled into their music. A good drummer can make or break a band, in my opinion, and I've always wondered what drumming was like from the inside. 

Awesome! I've actually considered trying to learn the drums for various reasons, one of which actually being it sounds like an interesting way to let off steam. Hit things and make cool music at the same time.

Good question. I don't read a lot of comics, and I've read even fewer lately, but of those I have read, I think Storm tends to get the best treatment. 

Now, this isn't to say that the artwork doesn't accentuate her *ahem* finer features. In the Ultimate X-Men series especially, she seems to have a deep-seated need to bare her midriff. (Which, to be perfectly honest, doesn't make a whole lot of sense. She can control the weather, including cold weather like snow and freezing rain. Why would a bare midriff be an advantage in a snowstorm I don't understand this somebody please help me) And, like her male comrades, she does usually show her prowess by kicking butt and taking names. 

However, many comics writers have a tendency to give kick-butt female protagonists kick-butt personalities. They equate "strong" with "assertive" and "female" with "flirty." Storm, however, in most of the incarnations I've read (we don't talk about the run in the 80s when she had a mohawk and kind of talked like Mister T) is somewhat shy, a little naive, but also confident. She was worshipped as a goddess by some in her home country, and anyone can see why. Storm doesn't have the Standard Comics Heroine Personality ™, and I think that makes her a stronger character. 

Fascinating answer! You get a cookie.

Pug-Cookie-1920x1200.jpg

Yeah... I'm not a woman, so correct me if I'm wrong, but last I read the fairer sex didn't possess magic belly buttons that radiated heat. So comic!Storm would be in for a rough time trying to wade through a snowstorm of her own creation. :P (And I kind of want to see a WHOOC now where Khione and Storm get into an argument about this, just for the record. :ph34r:)

Oddly enough--and apologies if this isn't appropriate for conversation--there are some women in African societies who genuinely prefer certain kinds of clothing we regard as immodest. Although in the cases I've read about, it was mostly breasts rather than midriffs. :mellow: The anecdote I read about was about a missionary who gifted the women of a tribe t-shirts, because traditionally they went topless all day. The women were delighted with the t-shirts, but upon taking them home immediately cut out holes in the chests so their breasts would still be visible. I'm not sure whether it was a cultural quirk of theirs or whether the women simply found it more comfortable that way, but it's still an interesting (and somewhat amusing) case of clashing cultures.

Still doesn't excuse Storm not wearing more pragmatic clothes, though. 'Cuz I doubt the comic artists had in-depth cultural commentary in mind when they drew her. :P

As for female characters in general: yes. Ugh. I hate it when "strong female character" is presented in media as "can beat anyone in a fight, and is completely contemptuous of the male characters, often threatening to do physical violence on them for small transgressions." That, Hollywood, isn't called being strong and independent. That's called being a thug, regardless of sex. <_< I wish Storm's identity as an African weather goddess had been explored in the movies, since I haven't read any of the comics.

What do you think of Halle Berry's portrayal of Storm in the X-Men movies?

Edited by Kobold King

Fascinating answer! You get a cookie.

Pug-Cookie-1920x1200.jpg

Yeah... I'm not a woman, so correct me if I'm wrong, but last I read the fairer sex didn't possess magic belly buttons that radiated heat. So comic!Storm would be in for a rough time trying to wade through a snowstorm of her own creation. :P (And I kind of want to see a WHOOC now where Khione and Storm get into an argument about this, just for the record. :ph34r:)

Oddly enough--and apologies if this isn't appropriate for conversation--there are some women in African societies who genuinely prefer certain kinds of clothing we regard as immodest. Although in the cases I've read about, it was mostly breasts rather than midriffs. :mellow: The anecdote I read about was about a missionary who gifted the women of a tribe t-shirts, because traditionally they went topless all day. The women were delighted with the t-shirts, but upon taking them home immediately cut out holes in the chests so their breasts would still be visible. I'm not sure whether it was a cultural quirk of theirs or whether the women simply found it more comfortable that way, but it's still an interesting (and somewhat amusing) case of clashing cultures.

Still doesn't excuse Storm not wearing more pragmatic clothes, though. 'Cuz I doubt the comic artists had in-depth cultural commentary in mind when they drew her. :P

As for female characters in general: yes. Ugh. I hate it when "strong female character" is presented in media as "can beat anyone in a fight, and is completely contemptuous of the male characters, often threatening to do physical violence on them for small transgressions." That, Hollywood, isn't called being strong and independent. That's called being a thug, regardless of sex. <_< I wish Storm's identity as an African weather goddess had been explored in the movies, since I haven't read any of the comics.

What do you think of Halle Berry's portrayal of Storm in the X-Men movies?

Storm: Why do you even bother with the polar bear cloak anyway? I thought you were impervious to cold.

Khione: There IS such a thing as presentation, dear. A woman wearing the head of a predator strikes fear into the hearts of her enemies. What does your belly button do?

Storm: It...um...makes me cold. And attracts...catcalls.... Hey, can I borrow your cloak?

At a church I once attended, the youth group went on a missions trip to Swaziland. When they got back, they said that it was a major cultural taboo for women to expose their elbows (and knees, if I recall correctly). Just a different sort of mindset, that I highly doubt comics writers were referencing. <_<

Her portrayal was....good. I liked it, but there was nothing about it that made me sit up in my chair and go "Oh my gosh! That's perfect! Halle Berry IS Storm and no one can bring what she brought to the role!" It wasn't like David Tennant or Matt Smith's runs as the Doctor. Those two had 50 years of show history backing up their own theories about who the Doctor was and how he would act during their respective regenerations, and it showed. They WERE the Doctor. Ask them why they acted a certain way in a certain scene, and they'd probably have a well-thought out reason for why the Doctor would act that way instead of another way and how that particular regeneration informed his mannerisms and how a different Doctor would have acted in the same situation.

Halle Berry, on the other hand....well, I could tell she liked Storm, and understood her motivations, but I didn't get the sense of history I get with Tennant and Smith. I could tell Berry didn't have her own theories about why Storm chose to fight against Magneto or why she chose to stay with Senator Kelly as he died besides "script said so and it makes sense for her character." It was a good performance, but there was nothing definitive about it.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

On the topic of female comic book characters: Have you heard of the Hawkeye Initiative, and if so, what do you think of it?

I have heard of it. I have found the images submitted to be equal parts hilarious and disturbing.

On a more serious note, I like what they're doing. My personal standard for strong female characters is "If a male character did what she just did, would he be a hero or a psychopath?" The Initiative asks, "If a man struck this pose, would he break any bones or just look silly?" As many artists have commented, the poses struck by characters like Rogue or Jean Grey would cause permanent injury IRL, and putting Hawkeye in those poses shows how ridulously sexist they are.

*cuddleswarms* for the new day. and as a slightly different kind of question, how was your weekend? (spent *cough*not wikying*cough*)

As good as a weekend spent packing for a trip, comforting the pugs, and cleaning can be. :P

Do you mind if I bother you with further superhero related questions?

Of course not. ;)

Just ask her about Fantomah to spice p the superhero questions. :P

Just don't ask me why Ant-Man is getting a movie before she is, because I have no clue. <_<

As good as a weekend spent packing for a trip, comforting the pugs, and cleaning can be. :P

I suspect the middle part of that was fairly ok with you? *retroactively sends you cuddleswarms to help with the other things*

Oh and, with that question, where are you headed (again)?

I suspect the middle part of that was fairly ok with you? *retroactively sends you cuddleswarms to help with the other things*

Oh and, with that question, where are you headed (again)?

Yeah, it was fine. I had two pugs sleeping in my bed instead of just one. :P

Portland and Vancouver (WA, not BC). One of my friends is getting married.

Awwww, see that's the problem, the wiki really needs a lot of (your ;)) help, so you can use it to help you out and stuff yesssss ;):);) ;) ;)

do you have any favourite, unpopular, video games? like, not necessarily frowned upon but ones that you loved to play even when nobody else (you knew?) did?