Stormlight Novella

maxal

For those who had not have time to see it, Brandon has announced he would start on SA3 on June 15th :lol:  He plans the release for Christmas 2016, which is quite far :( , BUT he also said he may squeeze in a novella based on one of the side characters in between :D . It would be release next spring to make us wait patiently until SA3  -_-

So, should we speculate on who will be the star of this novella? Thoughts? Ideas? 

The Stick :P (Obligatory guess.)

Personally, I'd like to see a bit following Adolin's childhood, but I get the feeling that Adolin cannot really count as a side character. So I'd be happy enough with something following Rock or Teft, even Ym :)

I would like to see events set sometime after the Recreance when society was going through a big cultural shift (eg the strong male/female role split). Star could be some scholar or person referenced in some in-world book we've already seen.

Whereas it would be widely interesting, he did say it would follow one of the side character... So I assume someone we already know of.

The Stick :P (Obligatory guess.)

Personally, I'd like to see a bit following Adolin's childhood, but I get the feeling that Adolin cannot really count as a side character. So I'd be happy enough with something following Rock or Teft, even Ym  :)

Oh YES, Adolin's childhood  :wub: I keep feeling there is so much we are missing out buried within the boys early years, but sadly won't happen. Adolin hardly is a side character so I sincerely doubt the book would be about him. I do hope however Brandon will give us glimpses of how he won his Blade, especially if he plays the "revive his Blade" story arc, but I may be dreaming in colors here.

Rock, Teft or Ym would be awesome, but I get the feeling it would read as a side story and not a flashback.

Rysn is another one I have given some thoughts, so she would be a likely candidate. Other ones that sprout to mind are Reddin and Moash. I guess it would need to be a story arc not too spoilery, so someone who evolves far away from our main cast...

How about Szeth? He sure is going to Shinovar, he sure is going on with his own stuff now, his path is sure separating from our main crew, so would he be a good candidate? I think his path to get revenge over the Stone Shamaans may fit nicely into a novel format. Any takers?

I hope for a Rysn Novella, as she learns to operate trades despite her inability to walk.

This please, thank you.

Though Lift seems more likely. I imagine she's being set up for the back five books, so Brandon might want to squeeze some more of her adventures in now.

I am begging for Brandon Sanderson to give us some more background on Heleran Davar! I only met him for five minutes and even so, I really liked him! I need to know more!!!! Please?!?!  :o

Redin, the half-eye bastard of Highprince Valam, ordered by his own father to kill him, lost in a land destroyed by the greatest war of its time, a war that pales before the terrible destruction that will follow. May Honor aid him in his journey.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

Zahel... for reasons....And if it's a prequel, you guys would get some Adolescent Adolin!

Oh yes Zahel. I'd love that one. And teenage Adolin, the hopeless fop nobody though any good of until he won himself a Shardblade  :wub: I am dying to read that plot line, especially Dalinar's reaction to his young son fashion sense and upon hearing he had just wager his brand new Plate in an unmatched duel. Priceless.  It won't happen :( , but still I can entertain the silly dream it may. 

He has his own series already, he doesn't need a novella :(

He does, but a novella within SA world would still be awesome. I agree though, it probably won't happen, but we can dream, huh? 

Jasnah.

I am with this, Jasnah is one of the best characters. I could read a whole book about her.

Well, I could read an entire book from any character if Sanderson writes. in fact I would buy a cookbook for chouta if Sanderson writes it... But Jasnah is a truly great character

PD; i dont like the word truly, ¿a synonym in this context?

I am with this, Jasnah is one of the best characters. I could read a whole book about her.

Well, I could read an entire book from any character if Sanderson writes. in fact I would buy a cookbook for chouta if Sanderson writes it... But Jasnah is a truly great character

And the best part is Brandon already wrote part of a Jasnah chapter. It wouldn't fit in Stormlight 3 since it's set during the events of WoR, so it's perfect for a Jasnah novella.

Edited by skaa

And the best part is Brandon already wrote part of a Jasnah chapter. It wouldn't fit in Stormlight 3 since it's set during the events of WoR, so it's perfect for a Jasnah novella.

Brandon already wrote a Jasnah novella to work out some things she was doing. But it's internal/just for himself to help him work out her timeline and such, he mentioned it on reddit, also said were never going to get it.

Also remember people, the blog Maxal mentions is talking about a SIDE character. Jasnah is NOT That she is one of the main ten viewpoint protagonists. An Interlude character or someone like Amaram or Elhokar is what we might get if he does it.

I personally would like one for really any of the severest societies, just give us a peek into there goals and how they work.

Actually he did write a whole novella length sequence, but it's not getting published:

WeiryWriter

What are your current plans with regards to the Jasnah novella you wrote last summer?

Brandon Sanderson

Jasnah Novella is for my eyes only, unfortunately. It was needed so I could work out mechanics of what was happening, but I don't like releasing it for various reasons.

(source)

Edit:  Also here is a comment Brandon made about the possible novella a while back on reddit:

One of my goals for this book is to see if, while I'm in the mindset, I can slip in a novella length stormlight story (perhaps about someone like Lift or Lopen) that I can release in the spring to tide people over.

(source)

Edited by WeiryWriter

Actually he did write a whole novella length sequence, but it's not getting published:

(source)

Ah. I had been looking for that earlier (because I vaguely remembered reading something about a Jasnah novella somewhere) but couldn't find it. Thanks!

Edit: Also here is a comment Brandon made about the possible novella a while back on reddit:

(source)

That settles it, then. Still, I hope he changes his mind about the Jasnah story. :)

Brandon already wrote a Jasnah novella to work out some things she was doing. But it's internal/just for himself to help him work out her timeline and such, he mentioned it on reddit, also said were never going to get it.

Also remember people, the blog Maxal mentions is talking about a SIDE character. Jasnah is NOT That she is one of the main ten viewpoint protagonists. An Interlude character or someone like Amaram or Elhokar is what we might get if he does it.

I personally would like one for really any of the severest societies, just give us a peek into there goals and how they work.

In that case I choose Axies can I? xD

I did not see the last one. I must say I am not excited about Lopen as he seems to be more of a comical relief than a serious character. I am not sure how I feel about reading a whole novel on him... I tend to cringe whenever he speaks  :ph34r:  Lift would be great, though since perhaps premature? I love Lift, but an entire book of her being "awesome" may be too much. I see her as a potentially great character, in 10 years from now, once she ages a little. 

I prefer other suggestions made on this thread  -_- but it is Brandon story, so whatever he writes, I have faith it'll be good. Though as a mere insignificant fan, I have other preferences for the side novella. Jasnah, Szeth and Eshonai are choices I personally prefer, but I guess as you say, Brandon probably does not consider them as side characters, even if they have very little POV.

Am I the only who has issues with this "10 main protagonists" Brandon keeps talking about? I mean... I get it Jasnah is a very important character and I do like her, but she has had close to no character development in both books and has had all but two POV... How am I supposed to view her as anything else than a side character? The same goes for Szeth and Eshonai, though they have had more POV, but how is it I am suppose to view them as major? I hardly know anything about them... So I keep being baffled as to who is supposedly a major character and who isn't.

So this is usually a hard one for me, personally to swallow. Jasnah, Szeth, Eshonai, Renarin, Lift are all side characters for me as a reader. So when Brandon tells me no, no, no they are major, I cringe. I just cannot, as a mere reader, consider a bunch of characters which close to no POV time as major... I can gather they may become such thing in the future, but to picture them as such in present time? 

So when Brandon mentions a "side character", I do put them into the lot. A Jasnah novel would be amazing, but I understand it is probably not what Brandon envisions. So this issue is purely me, my perception and my personal incapacity to call characters with a limited presence "major".