WOR Interludes - Rysn

gbazz4

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum, so if this was covered please point me in the direction of the post covering it.

I get what is going on in most of the interludes and feel like I see the point of Ym, Lift, or Eshonia. When i read the Rysn interludes about the trade mission in the Reshi Sea i struggle with figuring out how this is playing into the overall story of the book. I know i am missing something. Can someone enlighten me and explain how this is important and how it connects with the rest of the book? 

Thanks and Much appreciated in advance.

We don't have any Concrete evidence Rysn does relate to the events of Stormlight Archive.

Her original Interlude in Way of Kings gave backstory for Szeth, but the only thing of importance in her second Interlude is the acquisition of the Larkin. Some people believe that Larkin will play a role in upcoming books, 

Others think Rysn is a Proto-Dustbringer and will be a radiant in the second half of the series.

The most likely answer though, is simply worldbuilding. Many of the interludes in Way of Kings and Words of Radiance have no effect except to explain things about the various places.

And Welcome to the Forum!

Welcome to the forum!

In the second interlude with Rysn, it is said that the original plan for trading in the Reshi Isles was to obtain a dead larkin. At the end of that interlude, Rysn receives a live one instead for her boldness. It is confirmed that a larkin is the creature in the Lift interlude that sucked the stormlight out of Lift. It is also believed that there is some kind of relationship between radiants and larkins. My guess is that the Rysn interludes will continue showing us the different parts of Roshar, explaining the world, and presenting the larkins into the world, so we can learn more about them. I speculate that they will have some kind of implication on later books.

The original idea behind the interludes was to give Brandon a way to explore the world of Roshar without having to dedicate time to developing new characters.  Basically they serve to counteract the problem of "epic sprawl" that a lot of epic fantasies like The Wheel of Time and A Song of Ice and Fire run into in later books.  The point of that interlude is to visit the Reshi Isles, 'cause the main characters aren't going there anytime soon.  Also keep in mind that the interludes of WoK were largely divorced from the main plot line, that should be treated as the standard.

I wondered the same thing about Axies the collector-  the guy cataloguing all the spren.  I get that it's part of the world building, but descriptions of him was so interesting- I'd really like to learn more about the Aimian and their "curse of kind".  The wiki says they aren't even human?  I guess it's similar to how the parshendi aren't human?

Edited by Aizhen

As the others say, it gives us a better viewpoint of the lands of Roshar, which is important since (had we stuck to the main characters) all we would have seen were the Shattered Plains and... whatever you call Taravangian's kingdom. (Name escapes me right now). And while those are important locations, they are also atypical for what "normal" Roshar is like; since Rysn is a trader, she has a built in excuse to visit both "exotic" locales like Shin and the Reishi Isles, and mundane ones if Brandon feels we need it.

Add in the possibility that the Larkin will become important later, and that Rysn might be a proto-knight radiant, and while he plot may not have an immediate pay off, I'm sure it will eventually.

Besides, Rysn is one of my favorite characters. Any excuse to spend more time with her is welcome.

I suspect that Larkin is either going to end up with Taravangian, or it is going to be an unaccounted for variable in the diagram that causes Taravangian's plans to go sharply sideways.

Thanks for all the comments. They have given me some stuff to think about. I get the idea that the interludes are showing other areas of the world as part of world building. It just seemed to me like there was also a point to all of them beyond just showing other parts of the world that the main characters weren't visiting. Lift and Ym show other KR are starting to show up around the world and they show that Nalan is hunting down KR  that break the law to uphold justice. Eshonia shows the process by which the Parshendi become the Voidbringers.

I just couldn't see what the point of Rysn was. The point brought up about the Larkin being important makes sense. until it was pointed out i didn't realize the creature was the same one that sucked stormlight out of Lift. I could also see the idea of Rysn being a proto-radiant. She is broken by her fall off the island (broken physically, as opposed to emotionally as Kaladin and Shallan are broken. I am not sure being broken to become a KR is limited to emotional breaking, physical breaking could i suppose also allow one to become a KR), so i guess it could make sense that she might find her way into a KR order in subsequent books.

Thanks for giving me a lot to think about and for your responses.

Welcome, gbazz4, to the 17th Shard!

The WoR Rysn interlude also provided an opportunity to introduce the islands (no spoilers here), which is a whole new level to the Rosharan ecosystem.

Perhaps whoever gave the larkin to Rysn - or their kin - will have a part to play in the bigger story? I really hope so.

The Reshi Sea & Islands are so close to Purelake ... aren't we suspecting that something is going on in that area?

I agree with Aizhen too - I'm hoping to see more of Axies and other Aimians.

Once a Larkin absorbs enough stormlight it binds a radiant and becomes shard plate.

Can you point me to where you learned that? I must have missed it in the books but it sounds fascinating. Thanks.

Yes, since all magics in Roshar, except maybe old magic, seem to be bond based it wouldn't be shocking to see Rysn gaining something from the bond. Plus, they come from Aimia, and everything that tells us more about there is welcome.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

I could also see the idea of Rysn being a proto-radiant. She is broken by her fall off the island (broken physically, as opposed to emotionally as Kaladin and Shallan are broken. I am not sure being broken to become a KR is limited to emotional breaking, physical breaking could i suppose also allow one to become a KR), so i guess it could make sense that she might find her way into a KR order in subsequent books.

My understanding is that is has to be a spiritual injury/break of some type, because that's how the Spren gets in to form the bond. That said, a severe enough physical injury could cause a spiritual injury if the person ends up paralyzed/mangled/severely scarred.

• 1 month later...

My understanding is that is has to be a spiritual injury/break of some type, because that's how the Spren gets in to form the bond. That said, a severe enough physical injury could cause a spiritual injury if the person ends up paralyzed/mangled/severely scarred.

Yes.  Just yes.  Many people I know have spiritual injuries because of physical injuries.  Especially if it is something along the lines of paralysis, and if it happens later in life, when the person was already accustomed to the life they had.

Yes, since all magics in Roshar, except maybe old magic, seem to be bond based it wouldn't be shocking to see Rysn gaining something from the bond. Plus, they come from Aimia, and everything that tells us more about there is welcome.

Aimians creep me out a little bit, mostly because they are so shrouded in mystery.  Nobody really seems to know much about them, and that really doesn't help.  And anything about the Larkin might help, too. :)

I wondered the same thing about Axies the collector-  the guy cataloguing all the spren.  I get that it's part of the world building, but descriptions of him was so interesting- I'd really like to learn more about the Aimian and their "curse of kind".  The wiki says they aren't even human?  I guess it's similar to how the parshendi aren't human?

I think part of the reason for that interlude is to show off that large spren Cusicesh. It will probably be important sometime.

I think part of the reason for that interlude is to show off that large spren Cusicesh. It will probably be important sometime.

I suspect that Cusicesh is a Spren on par with the Stormfather, stuck in his own pain cycle because his Nahel Bond(s) were broken.

I prefer the theory he is made of what was left of the minds of the spren killed during the recreance. Fits his many faces and his title of "The Protector". Of course, whatever it is it is probably something else, and your theory explains better why it is locked to one location.

I prefer the theory he is made of what was left of the minds of the spren killed during the recreance. Fits his many faces and his title of "The Protector". Of course, whatever it is it is probably something else, and your theory explains better why it is locked to one location.

Maybe we're both half-right. Maybe he was unbonded, but tried to protect the Spren as they broke. The sheer number was to much and it locked him into his own pain cycle.

Wait! I thought i was the only one who believed that! Or did i steal it from you, but forgot?

I do also like LabRat's theory, tho. Both are so interesting, and such a spren deserves something a bit crazy and different.

No, I learned it from you while I was a lurker but forgot your name probably. Happens all the time, sorry.

No no, don't be sorry.  Just fun to see weird, fringe theories that I like referenced (and I'm not sure anymore if it was mine originally or not.)  

Maybe we're both half-right. Maybe he was unbonded, but tried to protect the Spren as they broke. The sheer number was to much and it locked him into his own pain cycle.

If he was bonded to a Bondsmith, who was trying to hold the orders together (and maintain the Nahel bonds of other Radiants), it could have pulled together their physical and spiritual aspects, if not the cognitive as well, as those bonds were ripped apart forcefully by the Radiants abandoning their oaths, and fused the Bondsmith's spren together with the spren of whatever Radiant's were near (possibly not even physically, but in a spiritual or cognitive way), forming this sad, pained proto-spren that has ever-changing faces.

Since in that scenario the Bondsmith wasn't abandoning his/her oaths, perhaps that drove the Bondsmith to madness and despair, even suicide or death by other means, permanently locking the spren into place in the city where it's Radiant died (perhaps by plunging into the depths of the bay?).

jW

• Chaos locked this topic