Release Dates

Zas678

• 4 weeks later...
On 20 May 2016 at 3:43 AM, jaimeleecee said:

The anticipation is killing me!! It's like waiting for a song to download in the early 2000's but SO MUCH WORSE!

the stormlight novella is 100% now for first draft.  Assuming that it'll come through around October now.

Oathbringer though has barely moved to 54%.

Edited by axcellence

• 3 weeks later...

Brandon did a reddit q and a a few days ago and it looks like a November 2017 release. Brandon explained:

Originally, Peter asked for eighteen months, and I was pushing for six months, from finishing. (In reference to the publication date.) Eventually, we compromised on a year, assuming we were able to make workable this method of editing sections as I finished them.

So the whole year thing is already accounting for the new revision style. November or October next year is very likely.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed this announcement a month ago, but here's another surprise release: A new sci-fi detective novella, entitled Snapshot.  It appears to be set in a brand-new world.  

http://www.vaultbooks.pub/news/the-brandon-sanderson-announcement

Supposed to be released in February 2017.  Anyone know anything about this book?  How long is it?  Is it Cosmere? 

Edited by Fedcomic

1 hour ago, Fedcomic said:

I missed this announcement a month ago, but here's another surprise release: A new sci-fi detective novella, entitled Snapshot.  It appears to be set in a brand-new world.  

http://www.vaultbooks.pub/news/the-brandon-sanderson-announcement

Supposed to be released in February 2017.  Anyone know anything about this book?  How long is it?  Is it Cosmere? 

Snapshot is a non cosmere novella. He told everyone about it and read excerpts from it at the White Sands release.

Shawn Speakman recently announced the release date (November 2016) of his newest fantasy super-anthology, Unfettered II.  Brandon is listed as one of the contributing authors, but I haven't found any info on his story.  

Anybody know anything?  Title? Length? Genre?  Cosmere setting or not?

On 7/25/2016 at 10:53 AM, Fedcomic said:

Shawn Speakman recently announced the release date (November 2016) of his newest fantasy super-anthology, Unfettered II.  Brandon is listed as one of the contributing authors, but I haven't found any info on his story.  

Anybody know anything?  Title? Length? Genre?  Cosmere setting or not?

I believe "Snapshot" will be bundled in that anthology, which is a Sci-fi non-Cosmere novella.  

6 hours ago, Landis963 said:

I believe "Snapshot" will be bundled in that anthology, which is a Sci-fi non-Cosmere novella.  

That is incorrect, Snapshot will not be released until 2017. Brandon has not yet decided what he will include but it will likely either be an excerpt/interlude from Stormlight 3 or a deleted sequence from a past book (which is what he did for Unfettered I).

On August 2, 2016 at 5:40 AM, ScottLeft said:

So with the new revision process...will there be fewer drafts that go more quickly than the original? This wait is getting Really long. 

I am starting to get used to the idea that Sanderson's books just take a long time to come out. After all, he does work on a lot of projects at the same time.

And on the original topic, I do remember that Words of Radiance came out on March 4, 2014 in the US.

Man, looking back on this thread is kind of depressing. We know Brandon has said he'd like to put out a Stormlight book every other year, but the reality is dates keep getting pushed back and there is actually about 3.5 years between books. Obviously he puts out a lot of stuff besides Stormlight and it's hard to complain about his output, but 3.5 years per Stormlight book puts the entire Cosmere arc at:

• Fall 2017: Oathbringer
  • Spring 2021: Stormlight #4
  • Fall 2024: Stormlight #5
  • Spring 2028: Stormlight #6
  • Fall 2031: Stormlight #7
  • Spring 2035: Stormlight #8
  • Fall 2038: Stormlight #9
  • Spring 2041: Stormlight #10

Then, after Stormlight, you have the Dragonsteel series and Mistborn Era 4 (at least) before the Cosmere is wrapped up - which is probably another decade of writing. That means we're looking at 2050-ish for an end date, and I still feel like I'm being conservative. Brandon would turn 75 in 2050.

I'm really starting to question whether the scope of this whole thing is too big even for Brandon's writing pace. I mean, I'd love to be proven wrong and see him start putting out Stormlight books every two years, I just don't really think that's going to be realistic from what we've seen so far.

Edited by vividox

18 hours ago, vividox said:

Man, looking back on this thread is kind of depressing. We know Brandon has said he'd like to put out a Stormlight book every other year, but the reality is dates keep getting pushed back and there is actually about 3.5 years between books. Obviously he puts out a lot of stuff besides Stormlight and it's hard to complain about his output, but 3.5 years per Stormlight book puts the entire Cosmere arc at:

Then, after Stormlight, you have the Dragonsteel series and Mistborn Era 4 (at least) before the Cosmere is wrapped up - which is probably another decade of writing. That means we're looking at 2050-ish for an end date, and I still feel like I'm being conservative. Brandon would turn 75 in 2050.

I'm really starting to question whether the scope of this whole thing is too big even for Brandon's writing pace. I mean, I'd love to be proven wrong and see him start putting out Stormlight books every two years, I just don't really think that's going to be realistic from what we've seen so far.

F... Some seer told me I'll only live till 2048!  So... So... I'll never finds out what happens at the end! 

23 hours ago, vividox said:

Technically, I'm young now, but that's pushing it into old age even for me... Kind of sad to think about.

*prays to live at least long enough to see the end of Cosmere* 

Wow..this is..wow

Sanderson will be a legend!