Release Dates

Zas678

6 minutes ago, vividox said:

71%!!

Yes, but he said the progress would be slow for a month or so as he feels he needs to write the Szeth flashbacks in details. He explained how despite having the large lines drawn out, he had to make sure he wasn't going to canonize tiny aspects of the story which may not end up working later on. He thus feels he needs to spend time fleshing out Szeth's backstory in order to avoid future inconsistencies.

This means he is starting working on book 5... :mellow::mellow::mellow:

For those who have been following which character is who within the planning, it implies Szeth probably is either tertiary character 2 or 4 as we can assume Brandon is done with Part 2 and is either well into Part 3 or moving onto Part 4. He says he'll do an update soon.

7 hours ago, vividox said:

Thanks for the info. Where does one go about finding information like that? I mostly just keep up with the progress bar on his site.

Brandon posts regular updates on Reddit. He frequently talks about his writing process. 

• 2 weeks later...

My memory is failing and I don't readily find the information online, so please help me with this:

in order to save on shipping expences, I am waiting for a few books to be published so I can order them in bulk. My last purchase was BoM. I want to order at once white sand, alcatraz 5, annd the ccollection of short stories (arcanum unbound was the name?). Problem is, I distinctly remember that I needed to order four books. Is there a 4th sanderson book that was recently published (or will be soon published) that I forgot about, or I somehow confused the numbers and I really need three books? Thanks for the answer.

Also, the short stories colllection is due somewhere in october or november, correct?

22 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

My memory is failing and I don't readily find the information online, so please help me with this:

in order to save on shipping expences, I am waiting for a few books to be published so I can order them in bulk. My last purchase was BoM. I want to order at once white sand, alcatraz 5, annd the ccollection of short stories (arcanum unbound was the name?). Problem is, I distinctly remember that I needed to order four books. Is there a 4th sanderson book that was recently published (or will be soon published) that I forgot about, or I somehow confused the numbers and I really need three books? Thanks for the answer.

Also, the short stories colllection is due somewhere in october or november, correct?

I went to this link: http://coppermind.net/wiki/Bibliography

By looking at that, I figure the book you are looking for is Calamity, the third of the Reckoners trilogy.

Also, the Arcanum Unbounded (the short story collection) should be released sometime in November.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With another State of the Sanderson out, we can update this thread.

As I read Brandon's post and compare it to last year's, the thing that strikes me is how consistent the two of them are. The changes we see here are slight, despite cries from some fans that the Cosmere is falling. Estimates of release dates are mostly the same, with regard to projects close enough to completion to have a reliable estimate in the first place.

The one exception I see is Stormlight 4 slipping from 2019 to 2020, with Brandon acknowledging that future Stormlight books probably will come out every 30 months instead of every 18 months. That's a bummer, but not really a surprise at this point. The handwriting has been on the wall for at least a year. And not to minimize the disappointment of the Stormlight lovers, but let's count our blessings. The man continues to be astonishingly productive, which means we will have a lot of other amazing Brandon stories to keep us entertained while we wait.

Speaking of which, here's the list-- with asterisks placed next to the big changes from the previous big post. Enjoy!

RELEASE DATE ANNOUNCED FOR 2017

** Snapshot - new novella - February 2017 [New project not mentioned in previous SotS]

White Sand, Volume 2 graphic novel - listed on Amazon for preorder with a July 11, 2017 release date

Oathbringer (Stormlight 3) - available for preorder and listed as a November 14, 2017 release

COMING SOON-ISH

The Atzlanian (Rithmatist 2) - 2017 - “looking likely this year.”

Apocalypse Guard, book 1 - Spring 2018 - new YA series - “This will be my next writing project, between Oathbringer revisions and Wax and Wayne 4… look for the progress bar to start on it sometime early in 2017.”

White Sand, Volume 3 graphic novel - should be the final volume in the series. If it follows the trend, should have a summer 2018 release.

The Lost Metal (Wax and Wayne 4) (final book) - Fall 2018 - Brandon’s “next non-YA novel project.”  [Unchanged]

** Bastille vs. the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz 6) (final book) - “I will probably do Rithmatist 2 [first].  But I can’t say for certain.” [New project not mentioned in previous SotS]

Apocalypse Guard 2 - 2019

IN THE NEXT THREE OR FOUR YEARS

** Stormlight 4 - 2020 - “I’ll see if I can speed that up.” [Previous best guess was 2019.]

Elantris 2 - “Small chance of being written in 2018.”

Apocalypse Guard 3  (final book) - 2020

SLOTTED IN THE QUEUE

Stormlight 5 (ending of first arc)

Elantris 3 (final book)

Nightblood (Warbreaker 2) - some time after Elantris sequels - “don’t hold your breath”

Mistborn 1980s series and SF series - “we’ll let Mistborn lie fallow for a few years while I move on to Elantris/Warbreaker sequels.”

Stormlights 6-10 - mixed in with the Mistborn serieses and whatnot

Dragonsteel / Liar of Partinel - “don’t expect it until Stormlight 10 is done.”

COULD BE NEXT YEAR, COULD BE TEN YEARS, WHO KNOWS

Legion 3 (final book) - "Probably not this year, but still on my radar.”

Adamant - Envisioned as a sequence of six novellas, four written by Brandon.  The first is done.  The second “could happen at any time.”

Dark One - "no progress this year.”

Death by Pizza - "on hiatus, but not dead.”

Silence Divine - "Still on hiatus,” but he has done a short reading from this.

Soulburner - "No progress here.”

Aether of Night - "No progress.” But he wrote a draft in college, and it’s “part of the Cosmere sequence, with seeds of the story already in other books.”

** Another Reckoners book, a standalone Mizzy novel. “Even if I do that, it won’t be for a while.”

** Threnody - Apparently Brandon has been planning to write a Cosmere novel set on the same world as “Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell,” since before he got published. But the basic plot still seems up in the air. “Very early planning stages.”

** Silverlight - Cosmere novella. “Very early planning stages.”

That's the best I can do for now. If you know better, please drop a note here in the comments and I will update this post. And please let us know where you found your information (Reddit, a signing, whatever) and link it if possible. Many thanks!

Edited by Fedcomic
new info

7 hours ago, Flynn said:

Would the next two White Sand volumes go in the 3-4yrs category?

Brandon has been a little more cagey about when these are coming out, I think because he's less in control of these.  So I haven't seen or heard him lay out an explicit timeframe for these.  But my own personal expectation, based on how long the first one took to come out after it was announced, is that Vol. 2 should be out this year, or maybe next.  And then the third (final?) volume another year or 18 months after that. (So I've edited the list to put Vol. 3 in the category you suggested. Good call.)

Anybody out there have better information, or a better guess?

I was right about SA3 being late in the thread.

With SA4, the big issue is the outline, if that finishes around late 2018 (assuming 6 months for outline which BS starts in 2018 itself), it gives Brandon just 2019 to finish off SA4 and with one year for pre publish, 2020 seems unlikely.

5 hours ago, axcellence said:

I was right about SA3 being late in the thread.

With SA4, the big issue is the outline, if that finishes around late 2018 (assuming 6 months for outline which BS starts in 2018 itself), it gives Brandon just 2019 to finish off SA4 and with one year for pre publish, 2020 seems unlikely.

Brandon once mentioned merely making the planing for SA3 took him about a year. Thus, if we consider one year for the planning, one year to write the first draft and one year to edit the book. We are thus looking at a three years turn-over rate providing there is no break inserted in the middle. 

2020 indeed seems unlikely. I would mean Brandon would jump right into SA4 mere months after publishing SA3. It also implies he start writing full time SA4 no later than end of 2019 for a late 2020 release.

If anyone ask me, I would say 2021 is the most likely release date for SA4. Hopefully before, but having seen better how Brandon enjoys to work, it seems to be what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked Brandon about White Sand on Reddit a couple months ago and he said they were targeting roughly one per year, but that volume 2 might be later than this because they wanted to make sure volume 1 sold well before continuing. (point being they hadn't started work right after finishing volume 1, sounded like they were working on it at the time I asked)

White Sand Volume 2 is listed on Amazon now with a July 11, 2017 release. Assuming this is correct, it means they did really well in hitting their target release. And pairing that with what Brandon said, it seems like pretty good odds that volume 3 will be out in Summer 2018 (or at least by the end of the year).

All that to say, I'd move WSv2 to "release date announced" and WSv3 to "coming soon" (tentatively 2018)