Languages

Kasimir

I've added some Irish and modern Greek to my earlier proficiencies, but I'm embarrassingly bad at both of them >> By 'embarrassingly bad', I mean that my friend tells me he's embarrassed to know me when we practise Irish with each other.

There was this occasion when I confused the statement 'The children eat' and happily exclaimed, "I eat the children!"

Needless to say--learning languages. All these things seem to happen :P (There was this guy in my German class who mispronounced "I work at night" and ended up saying "I work naked" to much laughter.)

I want to learn all languages. I love it.

Of course, I'm failing Spanish, so I doubt I could actually become fluent in anything other than English.

Correction: you're failing the Scholastic delivery of Spanish teaching. Don't let that keep you down. Don't let school's grades decide for you what you do, or don't know; or even what you're capable of knowing. School is great for some subjects with certain people. the thing is, is that anyone is capable of learning anything. You've learned something: school is not the best medium for you in particular to learn Spanish, and likely other languages. Try different ways. Podcasts have become a relatively ignored, and yet amazing, tool in teaching and learning. Youtube his hundreds of channels on languages. Try reading books in other languages, and decipher them into English (treat it like a game,) then translate other things by hand into a different language.

You could directly incorporate the few words you do know into your own daily lexicon. For example, I have taken to signing the words or letters I know in ASL as I speak them. So maybe when you're writing notes for stuff, or writing schedules, you write them in whatever langue you're learning.

Or you could find a friend who speaks Spanish, and see if they'll help you.

Learning a language is a lifelong commitment, there are thousands of ways to do it. So keep trying :)

Agreed. In my experience and observation, the curriculum for learning Spanish in high school and college is atrocious. If it's anything like what I went through, it's a whole lot of pointless busy work (re-writing the same sentence fifty times with only a change in the conjugation of the verb and such maddening work). Any beauty, rhythm, or art is often lost and reserved for only the few masochistic enough to persevere through years of that basura. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping this doesn't count as thread Awakening, but I just want to check: given the number of people who've talked about their language learning experiences or proficiencies--is it possible to find anyone who might be interested in practising a language with a 17S partner?

I can't offer srs bsns Chinese, but I'd be interested if anyone wants to fail at practise their German together :) Don't ask me about Greek or Irish though. I'm pretty sure that the Greek economy will fix itself up before I actually speak Greek properly >>

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm a native Swedish speaker and I, as well as a proficiency test I took a year or so back, would like to consider myself fluent in English (it put me on the high level for a native speaker my age and way over the chart for someone who speaks it as a second language.) I've also studied a bit of Spanish - five years or so - where I am on a conversational level, if a bit rusty. In my early teens I was - for some reason - hanging around on a Danish forum, but I don't remember much of what I learned then. I do understand it, however, though for a Swede that's more a matter of dechiphering what sounds you are hearing rather than actually knowing Danish, and in College we have had lectures in both Danish and Norwegian (which is much easier to understand - you can hear what they are saying! Nynorsk is a bit of a pain in you-know-where though...) I also know a little bit of Italian due to an interest I used to harbour when younger (I bought a Swedish-to-Italian dictonary and phrasebook) as well as a few words and sentences of Japanese as well as kana, no kanji though... they're hard. This I learned from manga and "learn Japanese"-books I got from the library. Currently I'm trying to get a hang of German from my boyfriend's relatives whenever they are in the country. I would also like to know Icelandic/actual Olde Norse, because trying to translate runes is kinda hard without it, and Latin so I can read medieval manuscripts.

Svenska? Jag talar svenska... (very very very badly). 

- I have native Portuguese proficiency

- I can read English very well, write clearly, understand clear accents, and barely speak due my own thick accent. That makes me a functional mute. :|

If you threw me in an English-speaking country right now I'd, no kidding, silently gesture a lot and always have pen & paper on me.

Due shared language roots I can:

- Glean the meaning of written and spoken Spanish, and also make myself understood (but I dislike Spanish)

- Glean the meaning of written and spoken Italian, having decent pronunciation, though I probably don't know enough to make myself understood because it's full of false cognates with Portuguese

- Understand a couple of words in Japanese, having good pronunciation due shared phonemes with Portuguese. I can only read romaji words, and no kanjis

I'd like to... You know, speak properly in English someday (I'm currently working on it), and perhaps also learn Japanese. The pronunciation is easy for me, and I like this language. Maybe Italian and French as well, in some far point of the future.

Native English, took two years of Japanese which taught me one syllabary and a smattering of vocab I've forgotten, and a lot of Japanese culture.

Im applying for an immersion program next summer to learn either Hindi Turkish or Farsi.

• 4 months later...

I grew up bilingual. I can speak English and Hebrew fluently.

I know a smattering of words from other Latin-based languages i.e. French, German, etc. and I can sometimes puzzle out some text, but when I hear them spoken I usually can't make out heads or tails of it.

Edit- I guess I can also say that I know basic Aramaic. I'm a religious Jew and I always like to say that Aramaic is to Judaism like Latin is to Catholicism. It just comes with the package I guess.

Edited by Pinnacle-Ferring

I'm a native English speaker, but I've taken 2.5 years of German classes at BYU, so I can make myself understood in most mundane, everyday topics all right. I've been able to stumble through a few novels in German--mostly ones I've read before in English, though, like Cornelia Funke's Dragon Rider (Drachenreiter is the German title) and Dan Wells's John Cleaver books.

Funny story: the reason I originally decided I wanted to learn German was because of the Marvel character Nightcrawler from the X-Men. (This was after I watched the original trilogy of X-Men movies for the first time. :P)

Edited by Sunbird

Native Polish here. And I'm fluent in it. Now, it would seem it's not big deal to be fluent in your own language, right? Nope. There's a ton of mistakes people do every day. Since I'm a little bit grammar nazi I sometimes correct my family during conversation. Usually I'm right, often we end up discussing which form is correct (maybe both?), sometimes a dictionary is needed... Polish is hard. Don't get me started on writing - there are some sounds you can write in two different ways. There are rules which describe when and which way is correct, but many people often do mistakes. (I suppose it's like people who write "should of" instead of "should've").

I am also fluent in English - I can read books in English and understand them, but to get all the words I still would need a dictionary. I have no idea what my speaking skills are - I can talk quite well, but probably my accent is messed up. I watch some TV series without subtitles, at first I watched 40 minute episode for like an hour to understand what they said, but now it's better. Usually.

I was learning German for...six years in school, but never learned.
Now I will have a one semester of language and I can pick whatever I want. After playing Assasin's Creed in original I started to love Italian, but I think I will pick Japanese. I heard grammar is not that complicated.

Edited by Oversleep

Native speaker of portuguese, I've been taught how to speak english since an young age and can do so fluently enough to make myself understood, although my acent is still very unsubtle, and I often pause to find the right words.

I believe ability to write in english does not need to be described, yes? Or my ability to read in english, since the only book Brandon wrote I read in my own language was Mistborn: The Final Empire.

Edited by DreamEternal

I grew up bilingual. I can speak English and Hebrew fluently.

I know a smattering of words from other Latin-based languages i.e. French, German, etc. and I can sometimes puzzle out some text, but when I hear them spoken I usually can't make out heads or tails of it.

Edit- I guess I can also say that I know basic Aramaic. I'm a religious Jew and I always like to say that Aramaic is to Judaism like Latin is to Catholicism. It just comes with the package I guess.

Aramaic comes with the package for guys; I know very little of it.

I am a native Polish speaker. That's my first language and the language I know best. However right now I am technically bilingual, as I use English on daily basis, I think in English a lot and so on. So basically I am totally fluent in English, and only my accent really differentiates me from an average English native speaker (my accent is very Polish :P ). However despite my accent I am rather easily understandable, so it's all good. 

I also used to speak quite decent German, but forgot most of it, because of lack of practice. 

I also know some basic Italian, and some extremely basic Chinese. 

At some point I would like to continue learning German, Italian and Chinese, and also learn Swedish. However, currently I have no time and no money for that.

Edited by Pestis the Spider

I was born in Pakistan and moved to Australia when I was 3. So I grew up bilingual. I speak, read and write Urdu and English.

I can read Arabic.

I can understand some Latin and Ancient Greek.

Yes. That's me

Wow, upvote for knowing exotic languages!