Languages

Kasimir

Wow, upvote for knowing exotic languages!

is that why I am the one of the only people here who has some upvotes for this?

It's actually no big deal, I may not know many people who can speak/understand Ancient Greek but I DO know a tonne of Urdu speakers and some Latin ones

(when I first sa Latvia here I instantly thought Latveria lol)

Edited by A peasant among wolves

I'm a native Hebrew speaker, and I'm fluent in English (there are days in which I use it more than Hebrew :P, sometimes I even think in English rather than Hebrew for no reason).

I leart Arabic in school, but while I can still read it, and understand a little bit, I can't really hold a conversation.

I know bits and pieces of most Western-European languages, though probably not enough to actually talk in any of them.

I also know how to read the Greek alphabet, but can't really the language itself (at least it was enough for reading sign when I went to Santorini :P).

I would love to learn more languages so I could actually speak/read in them, but with army and uni and work I don't really have the time right now. :(

Also, I always found it funny that people found Hebrew to be so complicated, given that I'm used to it, but I can understand it, since its structure is completely different from most other languages (it's actually pretty well-structured, with three-letters roots with a basic meaning which can be inserted into various templates in order to create pretty much all noun and verb in Hebrew).

Also, Semitic languages' lack of vowels probably doesn't help... There are only three short vowels in Literary Arabic, and Hebrew and Spoken Arabic got all five short vowels but no long vowels what so ever (which results in the accent of most native Hebrew-speakers when they speak English). Also, most of the time the vowels aren't even written, and you just recognize them by familiarity (thanks to the templates mentioned above).

I'm a little jealous of a lot of ya'll. I speak English, and Pig Latin if I'm talking slowly. I know a smattering of Japanese, but haven't dedicated the time to really learn it (I took one semester in college, though it was Japanese 102 instead of 101, since I knew enough to skip the first semester).

jW

I'm a little jealous of a lot of ya'll. I speak English, and Pig Latin if I'm talking slowly. I know a smattering of Japanese, but haven't dedicated the time to really learn it (I took one semester in college, though it was Japanese 102 instead of 101, since I knew enough to skip the first semester).

jW

I guarantee you know more Japanese than I do... I know how to say "I did it!" and "father" because Hiro used those phrases frequently on the TV show "Heroes," and my dad, who served his mission in Japan, taught me the greeting "Konnichiwa." Other than that, all I know is the numbers one through six, unless you count the names of foods like gyoza, yakisoba, and okonomiyaki.

• Chaos locked this topic