Question and Answer

Zas678

I've got a question. So we're pretty sure that Braize is Damnation, and it's there where the Heralds are tortured in between Desolations. Do we know anything about how they get there? Is it a physical movement, or through the Shadesmar?

Is there any official (Q&A, interview) information that Surgebinder "Mistborns"  do exist or do not (people who gain access to 3 or more or all surges) ?

You can bond multiple spren and gain 3+ Surges, or you can bond multiple Honorblades to gain more Surges, if that's what you mean?

Q:  For the Honorblades, if somebody that was already a Radiant used an Honorblade, would they get that Surge also?

A:  It is possible to get multiples, yes. Good question.

Q:  Is there a limit to how many Shardblades you can have, be bonded to?

A:  Theoretically, not really. There are some things that can bound that. I can imagine people have a lot. In the original draft of The Way of Kings (2002) Amaram had two. And so, it's definitely possible to have multiples, and I had not thought of someone trying to bond every Shardblade.

Q:  So that means you can be bonded to more than one spren?

A:  Well, those Shardblades are...

Q:  Dead ones.

A:  Yes. So, can you be bonded to more than one spren? The question's answer is also yes. Potentially. But there is a much harder limit on that.

(source)

I've got a question. So we're pretty sure that Braize is Damnation, and it's there where the Heralds are tortured in between Desolations. Do we know anything about how they get there? Is it a physical movement, or through the Shadesmar?

Welcome back man!

I don't think we have any more information apart from that. I personally think it's through Shadesmar because the Heralds have no choice but to return when they die, so a physical journey seems less likely for a disembodied spirit. I don't believe it can be simply Elsecalling though, because if the two Heralds with that power get killed in the Desolation, the other Heralds would have no way to return. But yeah, no specific clues at this time.

Aons are pronounced with hard vowels (where they sound like their name)  so in-world it would be EE-LAYN-tris, with emphasis on the Ee-lain.  However according to Brandon you can say it however you want.  He generally says Eh-lawn-tris.

My friends and I asked this and apparently the E can be either EE, or AY just like the letter A. Another thing to keep in mind is that this is only for the vowels in the Aons themselves, not the tacked-on bits that turn Aons into names. So, for example, Sarene would actually be "Sah-RAY-NAY". For the first time ever I have absolutely no problem using my headcanon pronunciation.

My friends and I asked this and apparently the E can be either EE, or AY just like the letter A. Another thing to keep in mind is that this is only for the vowels in the Aons themselves, not the tacked-on bits that turn Aons into names. So, for example, Sarene would actually be "Sah-RAY-NAY". For the first time ever I have absolutely no problem using my headcanon pronunciation.

Or Sah-ree-nee.

In Mistborn: The Well of Ascension, Vin states that any Allomancer who accidentally Burns Aluminum has their other reserves removed. Does that include Mistings? I know the answer is probably out their but I'm lazy and don't really have time to look up the answer.

Sick babies consume far too much time, if one is around you run, just run. :unsure:  <_<  

I see no reason for aluminum Mistings to be protected from their metal's effects. I suppose this could be used as some kind of detox method, removing excess metals from a person's stomach... but I imagine the number of times this could be useful is very low.

Are we absolutely sure that the Shin are native to Roshar?

As in, indigenous to Roshar? We don't even know if humans were created on Roshar (I personally don't think that they were) or if they were part of a "mass exodus." So the Shin may or may not. 

What happens when an aluminum gnat/brute Twinborn burns aluminum (ferring metal doesn't matter)? Are the reserves in the metal mind destroyed or unaffected by the aluminum?

Edited by Curiosity

Was Szeth in any way influenced by Rayse? The irrational hatred he feels for his victims seems like something Odium could do to ensure he kept killing and driving Roshar into chaos.

Also, do we know if Sazed could worldhop to Braize, kill Rayse and save everyone a lot of trouble? Or would his opposing intents prevent him from acting?

I feel like there's a WoB from somewhere so long ago I barely remember it stating that once a Shard formally Invests in a planet, it cannot simply leave. It could try to force itself away, leaving behind a large chunk of it's power that's bound to the planet (and that sounds immensely painful) or it can unInvest, drawing all that power back. This is implied to take a long time. Decades? Centuries? Months? Who knows.

Sazed could presumably choose either route. If he lost less than half of both Ruin and Preservation in the yank, he might still be a match for Odium, though Rayse has killed beings as strong as he is at least four times, so it's possibly you'd want to have more than a slight advantage over him. Or, he could try to unInvest himself, which would prolly mean the end of the mists, of allomancy, feruchemy and hemalurgy, and possibly even worse. He might have to pull back the scrap of Investiture that makes humans sentient.

I feel like there's a WoB from somewhere so long ago I barely remember it stating that once a Shard formally Invests in a planet, it cannot simply leave. It could try to force itself away, leaving behind a large chunk of it's power that's bound to the planet (and that sounds immensely painful) or it can unInvest, drawing all that power back. This is implied to take a long time. Decades? Centuries? Months? Who knows.

Source: (not sure if this is in the database yet)

Q: When one of the shards, like Odium, move from world to world in the cosmere, does their presence, like the metals they leave behind and their magic, leave with them?

A: Umm... Odium never really settled on a planet.  He is now settled on Roshar and his magic has permeated things.  Leaving would be very difficult for him.  It would either involve leaving behind some of his power or ripping that out, which would be a difficult process.  So yes it is very tough to leave.  That is an excellent question and for those of you who don’t know.  Is anyone just baffled by that question?

[Goes on to explain origins of cosmere as a concept] 
Edited by Kurkistan

Q: When one of the shards, like Odium, move from world to world in the cosmere, does their presence, like the metals they leave behind and their magic, leave with them?

A: Umm... Odium never really settled on a planet.  He is now settled on Roshar and his magic has permeated things.  Leaving would be very difficult for him.  It would either involve leaving behind some of his power or ripping that out, which would be a difficult process.  So yes it is very tough to leave.  That is an excellent question and for those of you who don’t know.  Is anyone just baffled by that question?

This WoB says quite clearly that Odium is "settled on Roshar", but Odium's Coppermind page claims that he resides on Braize.

Another question: How does time work in the Cognitive Realm? Elsecallers and Lightweavers must travel to/appear in Shadesmar to soulcast, and this seems to take no Physical realm time at all. However, when Jasnah escapes the assassins in WoR she doesn't reappear until the end of the book.

And another question (sorry): How does a person's body appear in Shadesmar? We've seen the floating lights representing the soul, but does the body appear as a bead, and if so, what would its "personality" be? I'd imagine it wouldn't want to transform, but we've already seen that it can be convinced.

Was Szeth in any way influenced by Rayse? The irrational hatred he feels for his victims seems like something Odium could do to ensure he kept killing and driving Roshar into chaos.

When I was reading TSA, it seemed to me like everyone hated everybody for no reason. If it's not Odium's influence, I don't know what it is.

The Thrill might have been another example.

Also, do we know if Sazed could worldhop to Braize, kill Rayse and save everyone a lot of trouble? Or would his opposing intents prevent him from acting?

Well, not everybody is keen on intervening and killing Odium — see the WOR epigraphs.