Investiture Units

therunner

So we have proper Investiture unit, BEU, or Breath Equivalent Unit.

Few notes, I will add more later.

1. Most human souls in their entirety are at most 3, and on most worlds just 1. So a single Breath is basically entirety of un-Invested human soul, probably a bit less but not by much.
  2. Holding several hundreds one thousand BEUs strengthens the body increasing endurance, damage resistance and strength.
    • This implies that Radiant holding Stormlight is at least on this threshold, as they exhibit most of these effects.
  3. Cinderhearts and sunhearts are few thousand BEU, and Charred describe feeling a sense of need to move, to run and to do things. Which is exactly what holding Stormlight is described as (holding Voidlight has similar effects, though more focused on enflamed emotions).
    • If Charred are effectively channeling the Investiture in Cinderhears, that implies that few spheres of Stormlight can provide several thousand BEUs, though they dissipate unless used being kinetic.

Either way, the implication is that a single sphere worth of Stormlight is tens of BEUs at least. No wonder Ghostbloods want to get in on that action.

Edit: Corrected point 2., as the threshold is 5% skip capacity, and 100% skip is 20 000 BEUs.

Edited by therunner

I definitely disagree with that, I'd think it's different amounts or different abilities leading to the same effect. I think Investiture can just have that effect on people, regardless of how much it is. 

I must defend my assertion.

I do agree that different Investiture have somewhat different effect, however this particular one has been now described within three distinct systems.

1. On Scadrial, when Vin absorbed Mists, when Marasi held Bands, and when she used Dor.
  2. On Roshar whenver anyone holds Stormlight, Voidlight, Lifelight.
  3. On Canticle for Charred.

In the first two cases, people hold Kinetic Investiture within themselves, so similar thing can be expected in case number 3.
So I would posit this is a general effect of holding rather large amount of Kinetic Investiture. We don't see the same effect in normal Allomancers or Feruchemists, so clearly not any amount is sufficient.

On Scadrial, and on Canticle the people describing those feelings were greatly Invested. On Canticle it is the Cinderhears, which holds between 2000-4000 BEUs.  On Scadrial we don't have a handy way of quantifying it, but in Sunlit Man Nomad treats jar of Dor as sufficient to allow him to skip, i.e. it must be at least 20 000 BEUs. From what we see of the effect of using Dor to power Allomancy, it is not that different from using Surges, scale wise, and it runs out relatively fast.

From the comparison to Dor it also suggests that bag of spheres of Stormlight, standard battle equipment for Radiants, should have several hundreds BEUs. Main problem for Radiants is that they leak, so they must use it fast before they run out. Charred don't have this issue, as the transformation (or the nature of the Investiture) is more 'sticky'.

Roshar is the planet with probably easiest and most abundant source of Investiture, possibly only rivaled by Sel, so I don't think this is too much.

Sidenote: Holding Static Investiture seems to lead to improved color perception and sense (effect of greater Heightening and of at least one Dawnshard).

I am surprised by how, at the time of warbreaker, a returned with 2000 breaths was an amazing, incredible amount, and now sigzil is holding as much and complains how low that is.

then again, it makes sense as a result of progress. a few centuries ago a horse was a powerful, expensive transport vehicle, and now we have the power of several dozen horses on our cars and we think those are low power engines.

a stark comparison, though: nightblood only required 1000 breaths. those spears are twice as invested - i'm still in the early chapter so i don't know what they can do, however it seems to me like those uses of investiture are highly inefficient. people in the past could do a lot more with much less investiture

11 hours ago, therunner said:
  1. Holding several hundred BEUs strengthens the body increasing endurance, damage resistance and strength.
    • This implies that Radiant holding Stormlight is at least on this threshold, as they exhibit most of these effects

Not necessarily. Stormlight may be more effective at causing this effect than other forms of Investiture. In fact, if that is not the case, why are the Returned so easy to kill compared to a Radiant?

It seems to me that we have an upper bound to the Investiture content of Stormlight.

8 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Not necessarily. Stormlight may be more effective at causing this effect than other forms of Investiture. In fact, if that is not the case, why are the Returned so easy to kill compared to a Radiant?

It seems to me that we have an upper bound to the Investiture content of Stormlight.

Simple, Returned don't heal, Radiants do.

On many occasions Radiants we seen in SA would have died were it not for Stormlight healing:

• Kal - in Highstorm, when doing the lashing kick
  • Shallan - bolt through head

They are more resistant to damage, not impervious.

And technically we have lower bound, as the Stormlight must have at leas few hundred of BEUs. Upper bound is technically unknown, but probably is below Dor in density.

12 hours ago, therunner said:

Holding several hundred BEUs strengthens the body increasing endurance, damage resistance and strength.

• This implies that Radiant holding Stormlight is at least on this threshold, as they exhibit most of these effects.

Doesn't an Allomancer burning pewter have those same effects, including the desire to move?  I think it;s too early to read much into the measurement system.

19 minutes ago, therunner said:

Simple, Returned don't heal, Radiants do.

But why? we have two groups here. One that heals extremely well:

• Stormlight
  • Voidlight
  • Lifelight
  • Charred
  • Tormented

And those that heal very badly:

• Returned
  • People of higher Heightenings
  • Elantrians

8 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

But why? we have two groups here. One that heals extremely well:

• Stormlight
  • Voidlight
  • Lifelight
  • Charred
  • Tormented

And those that heal very badly:

• Returned
  • People of higher Heightenings
  • Elantrians

Elantrians also heal quickly, and can survive even decapitation (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/395/#e13084)

So we have two groups:

1. Stormlight, Voidlight, LIfelight, Charred, Elantrians (or Dor channelers in general)
  2. Returned, People of Higher Heightenings

All people in group 1. have a lot of kinetic Investiture flowing through them. Notably Elantrians don't mention the urge to move, however Elantris in general has several 'inconsistencies' with later Investiture mechanics, as it was early work. However, it is said that being Elantrian is very taxing mentally, which could be due to similar effect (if it is not simply due to possibly living quite long).

All people in group 2. have solely Static (or Innate) Investiture in them.

Both groups show increased resilience to damage, improved endurance and strength. Per Sunlit Man, that is effect of being Invested by ~1000 BEUs.
Hence, the simplest conclusion is that bags of *Light must be equivalent to that at minimum.

But healing is active effect, and Breaths simply don't do stuff unless Commanded, and explicitly cannot be used to heal oneself (due to nature of Endowment). Which explains why the group 2. (consisting of only Breath holders) does not heal, despite being possibly Invested enough.

Perhaps some Investiture are more efficient at achieving this particular effect, however I doubt that for some reason Rosharan Lights would be 100 times more potent in this regard. So either way, bags of Lights have to be at least 100 BEUs, though I maintain they would be closer to low thousands.

@Nesh

Doesn't an Allomancer burning pewter have those same effects, including the desire to move?  I think it;s too early to read much into the measurement system.

Regarding Pewter Allomancy, that is specifically Invested Art, which intentionally creates the effect. It is not a passive effect of holding Investiture.

Edited by therunner
edited in link to WOB

Let me just say, super excited we finally got a unit (he mentioned in a WoB they had one but needed to finish working out the kinks)

I definitely agree that weve seen enough people heavily invested getting that same feeling, but i think it also depends on both the shard and magic system. Elantrians are way more invested than any allomancer/radiant/returned since they're directly plugged in to the Dor, double shards worth of raw power with no shardholder, and the Ire/Raoden/Galladon can just hang out in that state, same with Yumi who was also off the charts. But thats innate power, same with returned. Dont need to refuel.

A few spheres is deeefinitely more power than a few breaths, like a AA battery compared to a reactor, but awakening is kind of a tiered system, doesnt seem like theres much difference in quantity in-between the different heightenings. Id agree on that. But until now raw dor is the most beefy source besides the bands. Granted that was brand new during SA5-TLM and theyve come a long way since then. 

Maybe its tied to the types that use it as temporary fuel, allomancers, radiants, since its fuel in the tank they get that urge to let it out (granted metals dont rapidly deplete like stormlight) and the bands are a unique example, more like unkeyed Dor.

I usually dont include Returned in comparisons of other invested types or CS's, since as Brandon has explained Endowment is the exception, she kind of hacked their system, its why they arent sticky and can just stroll over to roshar without being tethered to it.

I do like the idea that the value of breath is way lower than it was in Warbreaker era, but i mean, i guess it depends on what youre using it for, Susebron is still massively OP in either era, same with Wax or Vin, but if you need to worldhop then might be a different story.

Also i wouldnt say Elantrians healing is bad compared to a radiant, they just need an extra step, headshot might do it sure, but rapidly throwing aons out there they have infinitely more applications than the limited power set of radiants and even mistborn. they have additional protections like shielding and teleporting as well.

That scene in Yumi with the power ranking device was definitely a big help, but we still arent 100% on what aspects are universal or not, like if that first heightening effect from the dawnshard is innate to all different types, maybe 4th ideal Kaladin will mention seeing more vibrant colors/pitch. 

Im just so stoked for this, i started at the beginning instead of where the sample chapters ended, haven't reached there yet (looking forward to that conversation and vision outside at the end there to see if we get anything more)

Also with that one single tease we get about about him having been to Ashyn early on, reeeally hope we get more tidbits about his journey and state of affairs. WOB said this is meant to be read before SA5, that whatever happens with sigzil happens early so he misses what goes down afterwards so as to not spoil the events of the book. 

He wasnt kidding when he said this one was made for the cosmere fans, yumi and especially tress had some solid easter eggs but were still standalone, this is finally a book that builds on everything else weve read, cant wait til thats the norm in era 3/4.

Edited by Stigmadiabolicum

5 minutes ago, Stigmadiabolicum said:

I definitely agree that weve seen enough people heavily invested getting that same feeling, but i think it also depends on both the shard and magic system. Elantrians are way more invested than any allomancer/radiant/returned since they're directly plugged in to the Dor, double shards worth of raw power with no shardholder, and the Ire/Raoden/Galladon can just hang out in that state, same with Yumi who was also off the charts. But thats innate power, same with returned. Dont need to refuel.

Elantrians are Invested due to channeling Dor, not due to Innate Investiture. That is why Reod was possible, it blocked them from accessing Dor, which affected their bodies as they are dependent on it for a lot of its functioning.

So they are more akin to Radiant holding a lot of Light, or Herald actively drawing Stormlight through Honorblade back when Honor was alive, than to Returned.

8 minutes ago, Stigmadiabolicum said:

Maybe its tied to the types that use it as temporary fuel, allomancers, radiants, since its fuel in the tank they get that urge to let it out (granted metals dont rapidly deplete like stormlight) and the bands are a unique example, more like unkeyed Dor.

Metals also don't let too much Investiture through. We see how much more powerful Allomancy is when fueled directly by Investiture, i.e. the same way as in Surgebinding.

11 minutes ago, Stigmadiabolicum said:

Also i wouldnt say Elantrians healing is bad compared to a radiant, they just need an extra step, headshot might do it sure, but rapidly throwing aons out there they have infinitely more applications than the limited power set of radiants and even mistborn. they have additional protections like shielding and teleporting as wel

Elantrians heal the same way Radiants do, possibly even more so.
They could heal even decapitation per WoB, but they probably have to have free access to Dor for that. I.e. be on Sel, or have some Connection hack to get Dor even from distance.

52 minutes ago, therunner said:

Elantrians also heal quickly, and can survive even decapitation (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/395/#e13084)

So we have two groups:

1. Stormlight, Voidlight, LIfelight, Charred, Elantrians (or Dor channelers in general)
  2. Returned, People of Higher Heightenings

All people in group 1. have a lot of kinetic Investiture flowing through them. Notably Elantrians don't mention the urge to move, however Elantris in general has several 'inconsistencies' with later Investiture mechanics, as it was early work. However, it is said that being Elantrian is very taxing mentally, which could be due to similar effect (if it is not simply due to possibly living quite long).

There is a major problem: Galladon's father died of heart disease.

34 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

There is a major problem: Galladon's father died of heart disease.

He could have let himself die of heart disease.

Elantrian immortality is among the most taxing in Cosmere, and you need Intent even for healing. Most of the time it is simple unconscious Intent, but if you want to die, truly on deepest level, I think healing would not work.

Or he could have seen it as part of himself that should be there, so again healing would not work against it.

Edit: Also, Radiants do die of old age, as do F-Gold Compounders (which is why TLM has to Compound Age). And yes, Elantrians don't have physical limitation on lifespan, but it is taxing.

As there are in-world ways around it that we have seen, I don't see it as major problem. It is confirmed that Elantrians heal quickly, and can heal decapitation. They heal the same way as others who channel kinetic Investiture, as they don't heal without access to Dor as Reod demonstrates.

Galladon even explicitly mentions that Elantrians can die if they want to. And also that his father was the only depressed Elantrian he knew of. If one should die because they wanted to, he would the most likely candidate.

@NewGuy 16

Very curious about the Nightblood question mentioned earlier! How many breaths did it take to craft him, again?

Originally probably 1000 Breaths. However, 1000 Breaths is simply minimum to be used to Awaken metal, so Scholars could have used more than that.
Additionally, Endowment was somehow involved in creation of Nigthblood, and she could have added basically any amount of Investiture.

So we simply don't know how much Investiture Nightblood held at the start. We do know that he does consume Investiture into himself as well, as in now more Invested than when he was created. To the point where he is more Invested than Unmade by the time of RoW.

Edited by therunner

15 hours ago, apepi said:

I do need to note that Nalthians contain more than the average human investiture. So you can't really equate a Nalthians to say a Scadrien.

Per Sunlit Man any Cosmere human contains between 1-3 Breaths worth of Investiture. This includes Nalthians, who are should be worth 2 BEUs, presumably. Compared to thousands BEUs, this is minuscule difference.

I would assume that most people from Major Shardworlds are Invested to about the same extent.

WoB:

Luke Beartline

Along the lines of BioChromatic Breath being akin to a person's soul, how would a Shardblade react to someone who does not have any Breath, would it cut them like an inanimate object?

Brandon Sanderson

No. Remember, one of the things with Breath is I consider Breath to be a part of someone's soul, but it is the extra part that the Cosmere has that non-Cosmere doesn't have. I don't know how far I want to lean into this, but there is definitely a part of me that thinks that Drabs, people who have given up their breath on Nalthis, are just like people from our world. That's what they are, that if we went to the Cosmere we would all be Drabs. Even on planets that aren't Nalthis, where you can't take part of that and give it away and things like that, people are invested. They are invested generally more than here.

Why do I do this? There's a couple reasons. One, it's really convenient for some narrative reasons. A lot of books I'm writing are these kind of action-adventure stories, and can human beings actually take the punishment that is delivered, let's say to Adolin in the end of Oathbringer? *noncommital negative sounds* He doesn't come off well from that, but could a human being really take that? I go back and forth. Humans are capable of some pretty incredible feats, particularly with adrenaline driving them, but my kind of blanket answer is everyone in the Cosmere has got a bit more Investiture; everyone's got something like Breath. Nalthians have something kind of extra special because they can use it in different ways, but everybody's got something like that.

It's leading to the fact that for instance, I highlighted this in the books, this part is canon: There are things about Rosharans that make it so that a lot of diseases have trouble getting a foothold. You do not have the bubonic plague on Roshar. You could maybe say this is because they are not living in close enough proximity to mammals for diseases to hop species as happens on our planet, which is a pretty valid point. Things that affect a horse or a cow (a lot of different diseases from cows come to us), things that affect a cow are much more likely to be able to affect a human than something that affects a chull being able to affect a human. Totally valid, but I also think that there is something more going on here.

This allows me to do fantasy stories where... In Warbreaker we don't have to be worrying about the next outbreak of smallpox, which legitimately they probably would have to be worrying about. It means that, while this is kind of a trope that people, trope is the wrong term, but that people in the past did not have as bad as teeth as we assume that we do because they did not eat the levels of sugars and starches that we do. Investiture also in the Cosmere means that you're not going to... Dalinar probably would not have a full set of teeth, even without being punched in the face and stuff, if he were a human from Earth. But on Roshar he's got just a little bit extra vitality, a little bit extra something, just like everyone on the planet, that is making him a little tougher and making him a little more disease resistant and some of these things. It makes the stories more fun for me to tell and also gives us some suspension of disbelief on some of these things. You do not have to worry about smallpox outbreaks on most planets. You do have to worry about catching the curse of the Elantrian disease and being thrown into a prison city, but smallpox, not as big of a deal.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 2 (June 3, 2021)

22 hours ago, therunner said:

Per Sunlit Man any Cosmere human contains between 1-3 Breaths worth of Investiture. This includes Nalthians, who are should be worth 2 BEUs, presumably. Compared to thousands BEUs, this is minuscule difference.

I would assume that most people from Major Shardworlds are Invested to about the same extent.

WoB:

Well it's possible he changed it but... 

KingSloth

Doesn't all 'extra' investiture require a cracked soul? How are Nalthians born with extra breath, if so?

Brandon Sanderson

No. The Scadrians have extra investiture too, on a lesser scale.

/r/books AMA 2015 (June 8, 2015)

49 minutes ago, apepi said:

Well it's possible he changed it but...

I think he is still figuring it out.
But the WoB you quote is 2015 and the one I did is 2021, I would go with the latter one and book released this year.

It is possible that Nalthians are more Invested than Scadrians. However, the difference will be less than one Breath, and so relatively inconsequential especially since any passive effects require hundreds of BEUs.

I do want to make one minor note: we don't know how drastically these capabilities are impacted by Sigzil being a former Dawnshard, and I'm willing to bet it's a non-zero amount based on his comment that Hoid is straight-up unkillable after having held the Dawnshard for so long. At 1000 BEUs, Sigzil has physical enhancements in the form of boosted strength and a healing factor, but someone at the fourth heightening (i.e. a thousand Breaths) has aura recognition, perfect color differentiation, perfect pitch, perfect life sense, and strong but imperfect delayed aging/boosted immune system. I'm willing to bet that stormlight is indeed a very... idk what term to use, "BEU-dense" form of investiture, but we can't rely on equivalent effects to establish numerical thresholds just yet; the nature of how someone's body/spiritweb use investiture seems to be a big component too.

On 10/1/2023 at 11:46 PM, therunner said:

Elantrians are Invested due to channeling Dor, not due to Innate Investiture. That is why Reod was possible, it blocked them from accessing Dor, which affected their bodies as they are dependent on it for a lot of its functioning.

So they are more akin to Radiant holding a lot of Light, or Herald actively drawing Stormlight through Honorblade back when Honor was alive, than to Returned.

Metals also don't let too much Investiture through. We see how much more powerful Allomancy is when fueled directly by Investiture, i.e. the same way as in Surgebinding.

Elantrians heal the same way Radiants do, possibly even more so.
They could heal even decapitation per WoB, but they probably have to have free access to Dor for that. I.e. be on Sel, or have some Connection hack to get Dor even from distance.

I didn't mean innate like breath, where they're born with it, I meant as long as they're in Elantrian or using the devices they just have access to that investiture, it isn't running out, it isn't draining like stormlight, or a set mana bar like allomancers.

He loves his limitations, hence the reod, id imagine the sequels would incorporate a big cooldown or at least something to prevent them spamming aons nonstop, but the region lock already kind of limits them without the tech.

My point was just they don't need to consume a temporary source of investiture, they have a permanent constant link to it, with no shardholder in the way. Breaths are closer to that, since it just drains color and you can just keep recovering the breaths (besides lifeless) but Elantrians are always plugged in to their power source, like returned. 

Scadrial and Roshar only get to tap into it, without spheres or metals they're uninvested. That's what I meant by innate. 

But yeah, definitely seems clear skip capacity requires way more than your usual techniques. Wish we knew for sure if that was tied to the dawnshard, since sig was windrunner/skybreaker seems like it had to be. Would explain why he wanted Elantrian powers so badly haha, permanent Dor connection to skip with, and can likely power his mistborn/radiant ability knowing him. He was able to use his breath/allomancy to deduce the missing time from Odium after all haha. 

But yeah, we need a power scale, give it a few weeks we'll have WoBs of people asking how many breath units the main classes would be at on average

Edited by Stigmadiabolicum

27 minutes ago, Stigmadiabolicum said:

I didn't mean innate like breath, where they're born with it, I meant as long as they're in Elantrian or using the devices they just have access to that investiture, it isn't running out, it isn't draining like stormlight, or a set mana bar like allomancers.

Ah, my mistake then.

He loves his limitations, hence the reod, id imagine the sequels would incorporate a big cooldown or at least something to prevent them spamming aons nonstop, but the region lock already kind of limits them without the tech.

Oh, definitely.
Personally I do think that Elantrians near Elantrins are basically gods. But we see that further away from Elantris they are weaker, with possible exception if they have time to set up local version of Elantris Aon.

My point was just they don't need to consume a temporary source of investiture, they have a permanent constant link to it, with no shardholder in the way. Breaths are closer to that, since it just drains color and you can just keep recovering the breaths (besides lifeless) but Elantrians are always plugged in to their power source, like returned. 

Eh, not exactly. Returned are basically merged with a spren (Divine Breaths is a splinter just like spren are), which is what provides them bulk of Investiture. But they have to feed to maintain it.

Elantrians, on the other hand, are non-stop channeling kinetic Investiture, so the closest analogue would be Radiant standing near opened Perpendicularity, or Herald with Honorblade back when Honor was alive. They don't seem to leak Dor, which is either because Dor does not leak in general, or because the process of being turned into Elantrian changes them into perfect receptacle of kinetic Investiture (like Radiants when they get better at holding Stormlight with higher Oaths).

Scadrial and Roshar only get to tap into it, without spheres or metals they're uninvested. That's what I meant by innate. 

But Elantrians are also un-invested if they are not on Sel. They have to carry Dor with them (either via piping it, like SH, or with Dor jars).

The difference is that Elantrians on Sel can tap all the time, but off-Sel they have similar limitation Radiants do.

Tress does suggest that there might ways for them to tap into local Investiture, however we Sorceress clearly had a lot of various tools at her disposal, and Hoid is Hoid.
In TLM Shai ingests full jar of Dor, so it is possible her full Investment was temporary and conditional on having access to that.

But yeah, definitely seems clear skip capacity requires way more than your usual techniques. Wish we knew for sure if that was tied to the dawnshard, since sig was windrunner/skybreaker seems like it had to be.

Oh it is, Sig states that the Skip ability is due to his spiritweb 'being Connected to all places' as a sideeffect of holding the Dawnshard.

But yeah, we need a power scale, give it a few weeks we'll have WoBs of people asking how many breath units the main classes would be at on average

Indeed :D
I do suspect that a lot (if not all) of those questions will be RAFO'ed, because he won't want to lock himself into precise answers. Maybe some vague ordering.

10 hours ago, therunner said:

Oh it is, Sig states that the Skip ability is due to his spiritweb 'being Connected to all places' as a sideeffect of holding the Dawnshard.

I wonder if being connected to everything is some of the reason that Sig cannot be violent. Perhaps the investiture sees all living beings as part of him and tries to stop him hurting them?

On 10/1/2023 at 4:27 AM, therunner said:

100% skip is 20 000 BEUs.

Minor thing, but at the start of the book, when he has 8 percent skip capacity, Aux says it is 1500 BEUs. If that is 8 percent then there would be 17850 BEUs to skip.

12 hours ago, ConfusionSpren said:

I wonder if being connected to everything is some of the reason that Sig cannot be violent. Perhaps the investiture sees all living beings as part of him and tries to stop him hurting them?

Could be? Though I personally see Torment as a result of nature of this particular Dawnshard, and being Connected to all things as part of all Dawnshards.
But we don't know enough.

12 hours ago, ConfusionSpren said:

Minor thing, but at the start of the book, when he has 8 percent skip capacity, Aux says it is 1500 BEUs. If that is 8 percent then there would be 17850 BEUs to skip.

Aux says that 1500 BEUs is under 8% Skip capacity, and 6 pages later Nomad says that ~5% Skip capacity is ~1000 BEUs. That is where my 20 000 BEU for 100% Skip came from.

6 hours ago, therunner said:

Aux says that 1500 BEUs is under 8% Skip capacity, and 6 pages later Nomad says that ~5% Skip capacity is ~1000 BEUs. That is where my 20 000 BEU for 100% Skip came from.

I see, that makes sense, I guess I just jumped on the firsts available number to find out his Skip capacity.

13 minutes ago, ConfusionSpren said:

I see, that makes sense, I guess I just jumped on the firsts available number to find out his Skip capacity.

No worries, I did at at first too and corrected myself only later :)

And both of those are still only estimates, and are in the same ballpark.