Words of Radiance, Bulgarian Translation + Cover ("Сияйни Слова")

Argent

So. Apparently Words of Radiance is being translated and released in that cesspool I call homeland (there were some concerns it wouldn't happen). And in spite of some of the abysmal translations from The Way of Kings, I have to acknowledge that somebody from Artline Studios knows how to do cover art. Because it's sweet (and potentially mildly spoilery).

For reference, here are some of the other covers they've done:

For Way of Kings, I prefer the original cover. For WoK, I prefer your country's cover. It is strange sometimes to read translations... I remember a friend of mine who was reading Harry Potter in French... The names... Just awful, my ears were bleeding :ph34r:

Most languages can't do compound words as easily as English can. Sometimes you get lucky and you can find a couple of synonyms that don't sound horrid when you squish them together; most of the time you end up having phrases instead of names (e.g. Gatekeeper turns into Keeper of the Gates) and that's just all sorts of weird usually. Bottom line, translations suck.

WoR cover looks awesome. Love the Shardspear and Szeth.

Not to derail the topic, I think the Turkish tWoK cover can safely claim to be the lamest cover. Someone was, apparently, lazy:

krallarin-yolu.jpg

Edited by cem

Not to derail the topic, I think the Turkish tWoK cover can safely claim to be the lamest cover. Someone was, apparently, lazy:

I think we have different tastes, then, because I actually really like that cover. Whoever made it probably was lazy, but that's fine with me. Simple is good!

Then again, I really disliked the regular WoR cover and like this Bulgarian one only because of the interesting take on Shardblades/Shardspears.

Ok here is the French one:

http://www.amazon.fr/Voie-rois-Les-Archives-Roshar/dp/2360510371

http://www.amazon.fr/Voie-rois-Les-Archives-Roshar/dp/236051072X

Gee the second part of Way of Kings is not even available yet in French... Quite a bummer. Don't ask me what is on the cover: I can't tell :ph34r:

OMG the Knights Radians are called "Chevaliers Radieux"... which is a proper translation, but it sounds so lame in french :ph34r: And they call shards "avatars"............  but I guess I'd be hard pressed to translate that one.

Edited by maxal

Avatars is actually a pretty solid interpretation, though obviously not even close to the direction meaning. Aspects might have been better. That is, if we are talking about the Shards of Adonalsium.

So. Apparently Words of Radiance is being translated and released in that cesspool I call homeland (there were some concerns it wouldn't happen). And in spite of some of the abysmal translations from The Way of Kings, I have to acknowledge that somebody from Artline Studios knows how to do cover art. Because it's sweet (and potentially mildly spoilery).

For reference, here are some of the other covers they've done:

I just realised the WoK cover has Parshendi in the background!

I assume so, anyway, by the beards. And that Dalinar is fighting them

I just realised the WoK cover has Parshendi in the background!

I assume so, anyway, by the beards. And that Dalinar is fighting them

Does Dalinar has a side sword on this picture? Shardbearers keep side swords when they go to battle? We know Dalinar and sons carry side swords to formal events, but in battle????

Does Dalinar has a side sword on this picture? Shardbearers keep side swords when they go to battle? We know Dalinar and sons carry side swords to formal events, but in battle????

Why not? If my sword could disappear on me, I'd want a backup plan, no matter how short ten heartbeats is.

Why not? If my sword could disappear on me, I'd want a backup plan, no matter how short ten heartbeats is.

Well, I don't know, I was just surprised... We have never seen Dalinar or Adolin yield a normal sword nor had we ever had any mention of them carrying one into battle. A knife, I guess so as it can be handy, but a full sword? Wouldn't it be cumbersome? Besides, we have seen Adolin losing his shardblade in batlle and his reflex has not been to draw a regular side sword, but to use himself as a humans shield......

Well, I don't know, I was just surprised... We have never seen Dalinar or Adolin yield a normal sword nor had we ever had any mention of them carrying one into battle. A knife, I guess so as it can be handy, but a full sword? Wouldn't it be cumbersome? Besides, we have seen Adolin losing his shardblade in batlle and his reflex has not been to draw a regular side sword, but to use himself as a humans shield......

Don't over-think the cover, it's art. As you can see, the Parshendi are some weird brownish color instead of white, black and red, so why not a side sword?

Don't over-think the cover, it's art. As you can see, the Parshendi are some weird brownish color instead of white, black and red, so why not a side sword?

I guess you are right... I may have been over-analyzing some doubtful cover art. I would also add the leather strap to hold the sword is spoiling the effect.

• Chaos locked this topic