Singers are decendet from humans

I know there is a WOB that states that Singers/Parshmen were created as a part of the Rosharan Ecosystem.

But I'm wondering if there is a chance that they have been created from humans not from scratch. Because even though they fit the world well they don't blend in completely.

Simply because Singers seem like the human version of a Ryshadium. They are clearly not crustacean like most rosharan lifeforms, even though they have carapace that seems to be mostly granted by their forms. Ryshadium have stone hooves like the shells of chulls now, and are capable of bonding spren. Singers also seem to be mammals by the precence of hair and breasts. And they are capable of interbreeding with humans.

If that WOB didn't exist. I would have guessed that the singers were the first humans to ever reach roshar a very long time ago and completely adapted to the ecosystem over time while still having an overtly human origin.

If they have been made from scratch instead, why aren't they more like the rest of the native fauna of roshar?

I feel like this could also be an interesting point in the narrative if the two fractions find out they are actually related. And that the Ashynite Rosharans would in the long run become more and more singer like.

What is your opinion on this?

Ryshadium evolved from horses brought by humans from Ashyn. 

If Adonalsium created humans on Yolen, then he could apply the same similar features when creating Singers on Roshar. Even if he didn't create humanity, he could still copy something from them, because why change something that works so well?

They are confirmed to not have a common ancestor and predate the Shattering, which I think rules out one being the raw material for another.

Personally I think the singers do fit the Rosharan ecosystem pretty well, in a sense that they are the Human equivalent for a planetary ecosystem mostly taken over by crustaceans.  It may sound morbid but I tend to broadly categorize the Rosharan life by Blood Color: Red for Human Ecosystem imports, Orange for Singers, and Blue for the crustacean branch of the Tree of Life. 

That being said, I still want to know what color Dragons and other Fain life bleed.  Recent things hint that six limbs is a hallmark of Fain-life, so the Crustaceans with so many more might be a whole third Ecosystem from the Fainlife and the human ecosystem. Waaay more legs, Bone-colored Gemhearts vs Tamu Keks, etc. All very curious.

Separately, I wonder is if Gemhearts are actually native to ANY of these species, or if Developing a Gemheart is instead a standard Environmental mutation for anyone living on Roshar, a direct result of exposure to the Realmic Stormlight ecosystem?

HorseCannon

I didn't realize Horneaters had parshmen blood, didn't even realize that was possible. How closely are humans and parshmen related, do they have a common ancestor? Or is one an artificially created version of the other?

Brandon Sanderson

There was intermixing long ago. Horneaters and Herdazians are both a result. (Signs of this are the stone carapace on Herdazian fingernails and the Horneater extra jaw pieces--in the back of the mouth--for breaking shells.)

Humans and parshmen don't have a common ancestor. And as a side note, both of these strains of humanoids predate the ascension of Honor, Cultivation, and Odium.

ccstat

Are there Aimian-Human hybrids as well? (Either type of Aimian) If so, are the Thaylen people one of these?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

Blightsong

*via private message*

Some of us believe that you are saying that humans and listeners existed pre-Shattering while some of us believe that you are saying that Horneaters and Herdazians existed pre-Shattering (you have mentioned that humans had been on Roshar since before the Shattering recently). What were you trying to say here?

Brandon Sanderson

Humans (other than those on Yolen) existed pre-Shattering, as did parshmen.

Footnote: Blightsong's parenthetical statement is mistaken; there is no source claiming that humans had been on Roshar since before the Shattering.
General Reddit 2015 (Nov. 16, 2015)

On 4/1/2023 at 9:02 AM, TheOtherDave said:

I don’t think that’d work, genetically speaking. Maybe there was some magical way they could interbreed?

Edit: In response to the WoB stating that there’s been some intermixing, I mean.

The simplest explanation might be that mateform is so adapted for procreation the it makes it more possible.