Duralumin Compounding and back door ascension?

Mistchemist16

For some time, I’ve wondered how F-Duralumin would interact with Connection to Shards. We know that allomacers made by Lerasium have a strong Connection to Preservation and I assume Allomacers have a weaker version of the same. We also know that one can ascend to Preservation if they could become a Lerasium savant.

But that led me to a question about Lerasium: is it the new Connection that provides their powers in the first place? The metal definitely alters a subject’s spiritwebs, but it’s unclear to me if the Connection grants the new abilities or is simply a side effect.

If the former, then that implies the Connection is also the main mechanism for tapping the Shard. Which leads me to my question. Given time and resources could a lerasium-equivalent Compounder like the Lord Ruler mimic lerasium savantism? Could they mimic the Well of Ascension or even just take the Shard altogether?

Admittly, j doubt it. When I first came up with the theory, I don’t think I have enough respect for the insane power Shards command and how difficult it is to mimic. Nevertheless, I wanted to throw out the notion to confirm my suspicions. Can you Compound an Allomantic Connection enough to get even temporary Shardic power? Or would it be impossible even as a theoretical model?

Edit: Thinking about it, using Compounding to hurt a Shard is like using a hose to drain the ocean. Youd need something truly crazy ti pull it off, not just a Compounder

Edited by Mistchemist16

40 minutes ago, Mistchemist16 said:

For some time, I’ve wondered how F-Duralumin would interact with Connection to Shards. We know that allomacers made by Lerasium have a strong Connection to Preservation and I assume Allomacers have a weaker version of the same. We also know that one can ascend to Preservation if they could become a Lerasium savant.

But that led me to a question about Lerasium: is it the new Connection that provides their powers in the first place? The metal definitely alters a subject’s spiritwebs, but it’s unclear to me if the Connection grants the new abilities or is simply a side effect.

If the former, then that implies the Connection is also the main mechanism for tapping the Shard. Which leads me to my question. Given time and resources could a lerasium-equivalent Compounder like the Lord Ruler mimic lerasium savantism? Could they mimic the Well of Ascension or even just take the Shard altogether?

Admittly, j doubt it. When I first came up with the theory, I don’t think I have enough respect for the insane power Shards command and how difficult it is to mimic. Nevertheless, I wanted to throw out the notion to confirm my suspicions. Can you Compound an Allomantic Connection enough to get even temporary Shardic power? Or would it be impossible even as a theoretical model?

The idea of having metalminds so crammed packed full of connection to shard X and then duralumin burning all of it at once is interesting.  I imagine you are going to have an otherworldly experience for sure.  I don't know if you would be able to hold onto any of that past those few seconds.  Also who is to say how screwed up you will be in the long run after attempting it.  

15 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

The idea of having metalminds so crammed packed full of connection to shard X and then duralumin burning all of it at once is interesting.  I imagine you are going to have an otherworldly experience for sure.  I don't know if you would be able to hold onto any of that past those few seconds.  Also who is to say how screwed up you will be in the long run after attempting it.  

I mean, maybe you could become a Sliver? Especially if you did it tons of times 

I imagine that Compounding duralumin as a Mistborn would temporarily boost your Allomancy, perhaps even to the level of TLR or the Bands of Mourning. A Twinborn could also probably boost their Misting ability in the same way Wax did with the building. But Shards are probably too much. It does make me wonder if you had multiple Fullborn doing the same thing. Imagine some alternate Scadrial where people figured out how to easily make Fullborn (Hemalurgy?), only to pull Preservation’s entire power into some elaborate metalminds collection. It wouldn’t top shattering Adonalsium, but it’d still be pretty impressive.

There are limits to how much actual Investiture a given piece of physical matter can hold (and it's likely to be less than the equivalent Godmetal made of pure Investiture). You cannot fit a shard in a spike of non-astronomical size.   Burning "literal tones" of compounded Nicrosil wont do it.  

I think at best those sorts of methods might Connect you enough to grab the Shard when it's temporarily unClaimed (as with that Ire sphere).  But if taking up the entire Well of Ascension could not take a Shard away from it's previous owner, nothing in the reach of single Allomancer/Compounder is likely to be able to pull it off before their Spiritweb is Savanted into Oblivion.

Questioner

If a nicrosil Ferring and Misting Twinborn burned a mountain of nicrosil, would he become Harmony?

Brandon Sanderson

A mountain?

Questioner

Yeah, like, he burned literally tons--

Brandon Sanderson

No, he would not. It wouldn't work that way.

Oathbringer Houston signing (Nov. 18, 2017)

Blightsong

Is it theoretically possible to Hemalurgically spike a Shard into someone else, and if so, what would be the outcome?

Brandon Sanderson

A full shard? Hemalurgy could not hold that much of an Invested charge... not... yeah, like a hemallurgic spike really couldn't hold that much. Not without something really weird happening, so.

OdysseyCon 2016 (April 8, 2016)

Edited by Quantus

5 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Actually, savanting with Lerasium (and presumably lerasium/shard metal) "is basically what ascention is"

I don`t think so.

This is the WoB saying this:

Douglas

What about a lerasium savant? Or would that require so much lerasium that the person attempting it would ascend to become a new Shardholder?

Brandon Sanderson

Basically, this is what Ascension is.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 27, 2012)  

The more likely interpratation is that you cant become lerasium savant without taking all of the shard.

Duralumin compounding could make you more connected to the Shard, but you won't ascend. Firstly Shard would have to not have a Vessel. Secondly Connection to a power is one thing, you need to be with the power to ascend just by connection. Kel used Ire device to make the connection but he was there, with the vesselless power, so he could grab it and ascended.

Lerasium doesn't just make connection. It changes your spirit web permanently. Duralumin compounding most likely doesn't do it.

12 hours ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

How do you figure that?

Because of the way the question was phrased: He asked what is lerasium savant or if lerasium savantism is imposible because it will require so much power of the shard that is imposible to get without becoming the vessel.

12 hours ago, offer said:

Douglas

What about a lerasium savant? Or would that require so much lerasium that the person attempting it would ascend to become a new Shardholder?

Brandon Sanderson

Basically, this is what Ascension is.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 27, 2012)  

• 2 weeks later...

That's how I read it, too...you'd need all of Preservation in lerasium form. Or, well, maybe you could get a non-full-Shard, Well-equivalent temporary Ascension with a quantity of lerasium equal to the Investiture in the Well... but given that the Well liquid is extra powerful, that's a crazy amount of lerasium... when probably no more than a few ounces ever existed.

Edited by cometaryorbit