Will Wax

The Cosmere Unaware

4 minutes ago, Nameless said:

I don’t think so. Era 3 is supposed to take place hundreds of years after Wax and Wayne’s time, so unless he figures out immortality, which doesn’t strike me as likely, he’ll be long dead by the time it starts.

I am not sure I would say "hundreds". Especially after the Kelsier and Sazed scene I think technology is going to develop a little quicker here than our world. It is also a 1980s analog for Era 3 so at the most less than 200 years difference if it followed our development exactly. That being said I do not think we will see Wax in Era 3 but do think we may see his children. 

1 minute ago, StormingTexan said:

I am not sure I would say "hundreds". Especially after the Kelsier and Sazed scene I think technology is going to develop a little quicker here than our world. It is also a 1980s analog for Era 3 so at the most less than 200 years difference if it followed our development exactly. That being said I do not think we will see Wax in Era 3 but do think we may see his children. 

It might be a bit shorter than Bra don originally planned, but I think it’ll be at least 100 years. Maybe Wax’s grandchildren or great-grandchildren will be there in it, but his children will probably be too old even if they are alive.

1 hour ago, StormingTexan said:

well Era 2 is set around 1900-10 tech levels on Earth, so getting to 1980s tech should not take 200 years.

Of course, how many people who were 50 years old in 1910 made it to 1980? Probably not a whole lot.

Just now, robardin said:

well Era 2 is set around 1900-10 tech levels on Earth, so getting to 1980s tech should not take 200 years.

Of course, how many people who were 50 years old in 1910 made it to 1980? Probably not a whole lot.

Yes I was making the point it was less than "hundreds" which would have to be 200 years at minimum. I agree though I think Wax is a stretch but I think seeing his kids is a possibility albeit they would be fairly old assuming it follows the same tract as Earth. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2022 at 0:23 PM, robardin said:

Era 2 Scadrial has already invented the belt-fed water cooled machine gun (1920s), the multi-shot standalone grenade launcher (1930s) and nuclear weapons (1940s).  On the other hand, they have not yet invented fixed-wing aircraft (1900s) or television (1920s).  There is now some significant political and military tension between the Northern and Southern Continents, which should spur more rapid technological advancement, and Kelsier is pushing Sazed to speed things up even more.

Assuming electronics and computers will be an important feature of Era 3, I'd guess the gap will be at least 50 years, but not more than 100.  It's unlikely that Wax will be alive, and, while his children should be, my bet is that Brandon will want a fresh cast of characters, with only an occasional cameo throwback to earlier Eras.

We don't know Ranette's last name, do we?  Along with Tarcsel Electric and the wildly popular Professional Noseball League, I expect Ranette's weapons manufacturing company to be an obvious player in Era 3's corporate landscape.

On 11/17/2022 at 10:19 AM, Ookla the Untitled said:

It might be a bit shorter than Bra don originally planned, but I think it’ll be at least 100 years. Maybe Wax’s grandchildren or great-grandchildren will be there in it, but his children will probably be too old even if they are alive.

Brandon said 50-70 years in multiple WoBs. Doubt that Wax would be alive, he is already 49 by TLM. If he is alive, he would be 100-120. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Wax has a longer than average lifespan. While metalborn aren't invested for long stretches of time under most circumstances, Wax burns steel very regularly. Plus now that he's a weak mistborn and has access to pewter, not to mention whatever side-effects of duralumin, I could see his general health being higher than it should be, which would allow him to live a little longer. I definitely don't think he'll go beyond a normal human lifespan, but he still could live longer than average. But that's me reaching, I suspect his lifespan will not be notably affected by his abilities.

On 17.11.2022 at 7:01 PM, Karger said:

Wax is already on the older side.  He probably won't be around in era three or if he is it will be as a retiree.

You are raising two distinct but related points

1. How old will he be?
  2. Where will he be?

He knows there are many worlds out there. He and Harmony have permanent issues, let's phrase it that way. Will he stay on Scadrial?

On 12/2/2022 at 4:29 AM, Oltux72 said:

He knows there are many worlds out there. He and Harmony have permanent issues, let's phrase it that way. Will he stay on Scadrial?

He seems fairly comfortable with his current life.  I think he will stay.

On 11/30/2022 at 10:48 AM, Ookla of axi said:

and nuclear weapons (1940s)

small correction: They do not have nuclear weapons. They know less about radiation than we did during the equivalent time period (beyond a bright-line spectrum), or anything about alpha/beta decay (1899), not that we'd hear much about it if they were discovering it around this time. The first thing someone thought of when they realized you can split uranium was how to make a bomb and that would probably make papers (especially since the Elendel government is too weak to take steps like the Manhattan project and keep this under wraps). We can probably assume that there'll be a bomb test somewhere in the roughs within the next 5-10 years, but as of now they do not have nuclear weapons.

They do have a rough equivalent in Ettmetal/Trellium bombs, but I would like to point out the difference between the equivalent and actually having atomic theory. What they do have, however, are rocket/jet engines, which were first implemented in the mid 40s (irl).

Scadrial, generally, seems to be lagging behind our world in physics, at least compared to it's other advancements.

But back to the prompt: That puts us to around the late 1920s (with cars becoming dominant within Elendel), which gives us 60 irl years until the 80s, which could easily be shortened to 50 with faster tech advancement. So, yeah, era 2 cast probably won't survive.

Something that I think could happen, however, would be old-women Marasi making an appearance. She's quite a bit younger than Wax, and combine that with being a pulser (slows down time), she could definitely live a few years longer than she should. 50 years in the future she could also definitely be either in the tail end of her service as governor, or retired from the position (Elendel doesn't have term limits, right?).

Also, side note, do we have an age for Marasi? The wiki doesn't say, and while I can assume that she went to college at around the same time as most people do irl, there's no reason she couldn't have started at 30, per say.

On 8 December 2022 at 4:59 AM, DiePie said:

Also, side note, do we have an age for Marasi? The wiki doesn't say, and while I can assume that she went to college at around the same time as most people do irl, there's no reason she couldn't have started at 30, per say.

Yes, we know that she is 5 years younger than Steris. Steris said that she was getting close to 30 in BoM, which may have been a slight exaggeration or not. Marasi then would have been about 24, give or take a year and herself around 30 in TLM.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8.12.2022 at 4:59 AM, DiePie said:

small correction: They do not have nuclear weapons. They know less about radiation than we did during the equivalent time period (beyond a bright-line spectrum), or anything about alpha/beta decay (1899), not that we'd hear much about it if they were discovering it around this time.

They have already taken baby steps towards quantum mechanics. Shadow of Self mentioned research into the Zeeman effect.

The first thing someone thought of when they realized you can split uranium was how to make a bomb and that would probably make papers (especially since the Elendel government is too weak to take steps like the Manhattan project and keep this under wraps). We can probably assume that there'll be a bomb test somewhere in the roughs within the next 5-10 years, but as of now they do not have nuclear weapons.

They can now make cyclotrons. That will put them on the way to particle physics and relativity.

Something that I think could happen, however, would be old-women Marasi making an appearance. She's quite a bit younger than Wax, and combine that with being a pulser (slows down time), she could definitely live a few years longer than she should. 50 years in the future she could also definitely be either in the tail end of her service as governor, or retired from the position (Elendel doesn't have term limits, right?).

Waxillium is a pulser now, too. Among other things.