S. Stormy

I just... hope he'll be okay. I'm pretty sure he will be, after Rhythm of War. But... let's just lament his tragedies some. Yeah, it's a Kaladin sympathy thread.

Is this too weird?

Edited by Shallan Stormblessed

39 minutes ago, Shallan Stormblessed said:

I just... hope he'll be okay. I'm pretty sure he will be, after Rhythm of War. But... let's just lament his tragedies some. Yeah, it's a Kaladin sympathy thread.

Is this too weird?

No its fine.

Do you want to read the sample chapter about him from book 5 Brandon put out?

Out of all the Cosmere characters I'm hard pressed to think of one who deserves our sympathies more than Kaladin. No matter what ends up happening to him, how valuable or good it is for him or Roshar or the Cosmere as a whole, even if it's "worth it", Kaladin has had a very rough time of things, all while wanting and trying to be good.

Unpopular opinion, Kaladin already laments his tragedies enough on his own :lol:

you know who needs support?
Poor poor Szeth! 

I'm ready to bet if we look at the facts, after we discover everything in SL5, Kal's story will look like a walk in the park in comparison
and does Szeth complain? no, he just keeps on going, put on the white dress, show up to work and don't complain

Szeth studies windrunning for who knows how long, the long haired freak just gets it naturally after barely a year and beats him

Kaladin gets a magic weapon that shapes at his will, poor poor Szeth gets a weapon that is more likely to kill you than anything else

Kaladin is loved by everyone, Szeth is mistrusted and disliked

poor poor Szeth:(

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/503/#e15780

That's the Kaladin thing. There's also a Szeth flashback on Arcanum:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/504/#e15784

Also, @SpinningSky, start a Poor Szeth thread if you want to! I'm not saying Kaladin has suffered more than Szeth, but they have both suffered, and both deserve sympathy, in my opinion.

44 minutes ago, SpinningSky said:

Unpopular opinion, Kaladin already laments his tragedies enough on his own :lol:

you know who needs support?
Poor poor Szeth!

I agree Szeth needs more support, but here's my probably popular opinion: Stormlight Archives is the story of extremely broken people, and their attempts to piece themselves back together. In fact, you could summarize this series in saying that its Sanderson telling his audience, "You can be better than you are now."

I just hope he doesn't die in book 5. Any other fate I am happy, even the theory of the oathpact getting recreated as a last resort with new heralds and kal getting tortured for 15 years on braize till book 6 starts is fine with me( even a little cool). 

But if he dies, it will be very unsatisfying. Shocking sure, but i would not be able to enjoy rereads if he dies i think

Thank you Nameless and Shallan Stormblessed. :lol:

I would also be rather unhappy if Kal were to die in book 5. 
That may be an understatement. Maybe quite a large understatement. 

Since he’s headed to Shinovar, I’m still rooting for him to get his own puppy sometime in this book. 

On 10/10/2022 at 2:21 PM, Odiumiumium said:

I think book 5 is just him and Szeth complaining about how their lives are terrible and flying around. 

Es posible.

I'd kind of love that, honestly... 

In the first few books, Kaladin hates lighteyes enough that he's less sad and more annoying(people say, I don't find him that annoying in WoR. NOT to derail this thread!). But in Rhythm of War he's almost completely past that, and he's under so much pressure and he's so exhausted and the little rest he gets is filled with awful nightmares... and then Teft... oh, it makes me so sad.

Also @IheartKaladin4eva. USE THIS THREAD! I WILL NOT LET IT DIE!!

• 4 weeks later...

oh my goodness my poor little baby. he's been through so much but he's still so strong.

For one so soft, he is somehow strong. For one so varied, he is somehow intense. For one so lost, he is somehow determined. For one so confused, he is somehow brilliant. For one so tarnished, he is somehow bright. Radiant. 

my dear little boy. my baby. my little gemheart. my darling. you have given up so much, lost so much. and you still rise, each and every time. taking the next step. You love so hard, and fall so far. you pretend to be hard, but you are ever so soft. so sweet. so kind. and when you lose those you love, it hurts you so badly, and it happens time and time again. you will forever be a part of me. I will carry a piece of you in my heart forevermore. you will never die. nor will your suffering ever end. I have the horrible feeling that life will continue to throw things at you. Oh poor Kaladin.

15 hours ago, IheartKaladin4eva said:

I have the horrible feeling that life will continue to throw things at you. Oh poor Kaladin.

"Life", aka Sanderson. Although maybe not? considering this WoB:

Deanna

You said you would talk about the tone issue after the book comes out. What was that issue, and for which character?

Brandon Sanderson

So the tone issue for Rhythm of War is just how dark things get in some of the Kaladin viewpoints. We've had some rough times for Kaladin through this series, and I wouldn't say that this is necessarily darker than book one, for instance, or even some parts of book two. But one thing we were noticing with the beta readers is: stacking what was happening to Kaladin on top of a worldwide pandemic that was causing general anxiety in a lot of the population was making some beta readers overreact to Kaladin, the darkness in his thing. At the same time, I thought... "Overreaction's" the wrong term, right? It was the right reaction for them, it's not that they overreacted. But they reacted stronger than I think people would have in another year

And this left me with the difficult choice of: is this an actual tone problem with the book, or is this the function of the fact that everybody's really stressed right now? And I decided to walk a middle ground between this. I decided that even if it was a stronger reaction, there are things I could do that would just generally improve the book, that wouldn't make it worse, but would also help with this issue. The main thing that I looked to do was make sure that Shallan and Adolin's sequences were lightened up through most of their sequence. Even though some tough stuff was happening with Shallan and her viewpoints, particularly at the beginning, I wanted to back off on...

What I mostly did was: I added a few more scenes with Shallan and Adolin that were more "let's investigate a mystery, let's problem solve" but not "oh my goodness everything is wrong with Shallan, this is really stressful." This doesn't include the starspren scene, that was already there. But this does include... I think it's the second Shallan viewpoint in that part where they're crossing the ocean. That second Shallan viewpoint or maybe the third, there's one in there I added specifically to be like: let's show some healthy relationship stuff going on, just to balance out the fact that stuff's really dark over with Kaladin.

This might be a slight spoiler for the next book, but I can tell you Kaladin has now turned the corner, I would say. You should be expecting from now on: Kaladin's still gonna have dark days, Kaladin has depression. But he turned a major corner in this book, and I'm very proud of him.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 1 (Dec. 17, 2020)

19 hours ago, Shallan Stormblessed said:

"Life", aka Sanderson. Although maybe not? considering this WoB:

Thanks for posting that. I heard someone else talking about Sanderson changing RoW because of it being too dark, and was curious about what that meant. I think it is cool that instead of deleting some of the darkness, he handled it by adding in more light as a counter balance.

• 1 month later...

It just seems like while all the other characters have their awful events and then their storylines are dealing with them, but Kaladin just continues being hurt over and over.

Bridge crews in book one.

Betrayal of his best friend in book two.

Watching his friends kill each other in book three.

Being the only Radiant awake and being forced to fight almost completely alone in book four.