dual wield

Blue-phoenix186

Yes, they can. In an early draft of one of the stormlight novels Brandon actually had a character wielding two shardblades. He said that two shardblades with dead spren would have to be summoned separately. However a night radiant with a spren as a shardblade could summon two daggers or such easily. It really depends on what the user needs since the shardblades respond to that. 

On 9/1/2022 at 11:09 PM, FlowerGirl said:

Yes, they can. In an early draft of one of the stormlight novels Brandon actually had a character wielding two shardblades. He said that two shardblades with dead spren would have to be summoned separately. However a night radiant with a spren as a shardblade could summon two daggers or such easily. It really depends on what the user needs since the shardblades respond to that. 

Do you have a WoB for that? Early draft doesn't mean canon now. 

On 9/1/2022 at 9:55 PM, Blue-phoenix186 said:

can Knights radiance dual wield they can willingly change the shape of their shard blade so maybe they can split it into two different things like a sword and shield or  two short swords thoughts ? I think it could be possible

If you mean two normal Shardblades, then we see Amaram do this in Oathbriinger.

If you mean one Radiant Spren becoming two different items at the same time, then I would say it is doubtful. I don't know if any conclusive references for or against; but I feel that Kaladin, fighting Szath at the end of WoR, would have done a Shield and Spear if Syl could have managed it (since that is his preferred style) but she becomes the shield or spear as-needed, but not both at once.

I don't think it is possible (or at least, not easy), since it would then be possible to create multiple living shardblades and equip multiple people with them (like Shallan did when she gave Pattern to Kaladin in the chasms in WoR). That would be a huge advantage in a battle, so I think we would see it used, were it feasible.

10 hours ago, Treamayne said:

If you mean one Radiant Spren becoming two different items at the same time, then I would say it is doubtful. I don't know if any conclusive references for or against; but I feel that Kaladin, fighting Szath at the end of WoR, would have done a Shield and Spear if Syl could have managed it (since that is his preferred style) but she becomes the shield or spear as-needed, but not both at once.

This line of reasoning doesn't really work for me, we know that what spren can do can easily be limited by what the radiants think they can do

6 hours ago, Rg2045 said:

Maybe a sword/spear and a cord/rope attached to a shield all one piece, and maybe possible all that’s needed is Intent 

This seems like it would be a "legal" way to dual wield without beinding anything we know so far, makes sense to me that it'd work. Though now I just can't wait to see a radiant wielding nunchucks now:lol:

13 minutes ago, SpinningSky said:

This line of reasoning doesn't really work for me, we know that what spren can do can easily be limited by what the radiants think they can do

This seems like it would be a "legal" way to dual wield without beinding anything we know so far, makes sense to me that it'd work. Though now I just can't wait to see a radiant wielding nunchucks now:lol:

Kinda like those rope ones that are for practice and twirling 

8 hours ago, Rg2045 said:

Maybe a sword/spear and a cord/rope attached to a shield all one piece, and maybe possible all that’s needed is Intent 

2 hours ago, SpinningSky said:

Though now I just can't wait to see a radiant wielding nunchucks now

I don't know that a braided metal rope would be feasible (or just extremely difficult), I found the relevant Words of Brandon:

Spoiler

Questioner

Is there a limit to what the spren can become, like we've seen them become a blade or a spear or a shield, can they become, like-- I've heard hints of a bow and arrow. Can they become a sword and a shield or just one main thing?

Brandon Sanderson

Um, it is more expansive than people guess it is, but it is limited.

Questioner

*inaudible* with the spren, like, with the *inaudible* would it have infinite ink?

Brandon Sanderson

The way it works in my head canon right now, which I haven't written it so if it changes, no. The other thing is getting complex systems is going to be harder for a lot of Spren. There are legends that reference that they were able to do bows in the past, which includes a string. Everyone is like "but they're not metal, how does that work." Complex structures, even the mechanics of a pen is not something that we have proof that they could even do. If they did do it, they wouldn't have infinite ink, you would fill them up with ink.

Footnote: The question was likely about if Shardpens could exist

It's also possible that the range and versatility are tied to the number of oaths the Radiant has sworn. 

Edited by Treamayne

A Shardblade can’t be split in half without the spren’s soul being split in half:

Spoiler

Questioner

On the nature of shardblades, to an extent, can a live blade be split without harming it's source, so to speak?

Brandon Sanderson

Can a live blade split? What do you mean, split?

Questioner

Make itself into two weapons.

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, can a blade be forged into two weapons. A shardblade.

Questioner

Does it absolutely need a connection, or can it become two?

Brandon Sanderson

So, shardblades becoming two shardblades would require slicing in half a soul, which would not be very fun for the spren. Okay? 

Questioner

So it's possible. *laughter*

Brandon Sanderson

So it's technically possible to take hydrogen and to turn it into plutonium with our current technology. It would cost more money than, like, the budget of NASA to do it for, y'know, one atom. So there are things that are possible, but-- Yes it is possible. This is not something that would be easy or very useful to do.

Arcanum Unbounded San Francisco signing (Nov. 30, 2016)

1 hour ago, Humble_Knight said:

Soulcasters are loops of chain, and are also spren. I think the spren must be a single object, but it does not have to be continuous. To avoid spoilers, I won't say more, but there is more evidence than just soulcasters

Possibly, but that makes some assumptions:

Spoiler

Do we know that the chain is part of the spren that makes the Soulcaster? It could easily be an after-affectation like the gemstones added to dead Shardblades.

7 hours ago, Humble_Knight said:

Soulcasters are loops of chain, and are also spren. I think the spren must be a single object, but it does not have to be continuous. To avoid spoilers, I won't say more, but there is more evidence than just soulcasters

Can you write that evidence with a spoiler tag? I'm curious what you're talking about