Pulser Inconvenience

That1Cellist

Okay, so according to google, cadmium is a highly toxic metal. We also know that Mistborn (and Mistings) Burn away all of their metals at the end of the day, or some other time, so they can avoid poisoning themselves. Wouldn't this mean that Cadmium Mistings who consumed cadmium at some point in the day must burn it at some point in order to not die. Wouldn't that mean that they would have to spend time burning that metal, and therefore stay at a faster time than everyone else while they burn away their reserves? Like, what if a pulser is going to bed at night, and burn their metal to avoid poisoning themselves, and then, when they run out, it's suddenly like 4:00 am. It would be really annoying. I guess we need to assume that Marasi needs to do this, but we see no mention of it in the books. Am I missing something? Obviously a Mistborn could just burn aluminum, but pulsers wouldn't have that luxury.

So, I might be wrong about this, but I think Brandon said at one point that Allomancers might be more resistant to the toxicity of metals. I think he's aware of conundrums like this, and needs some kind of explanation that...makes sense, but kind of has to break a few rules. So, it would just be part of being an Allomancer (in general) gives you the ability to not die (as easily) from ingesting metals.

I think.

Don't quote me on this.

It might all be fake.

Let me spend a few minutes looking for a WoB....

Okay, so...I couldn't find the WoB about what I talked about above, so that's probably completely fake. Random theorizing that doesn't make sense. Here is the WoB that clearly fits your question:

Mason Wheeler

Kelsier said to Vin, "Always make sure to burn off your metals before you go to sleep," because of toxicity issues. And when we get to Second Era, that just makes me think, because cadmium is truly nasty stuff. And most metals to burn them off, that'll be just fine. But with its effect, it would mean that trying to burn it off would shorten the night and you don't end up with any time to sleep. How does Marasi deal with this?

Brandon Sanderson

You measure very carefully and you deal with the side effects of being an Allomancer.

So, the real answer is, "be very careful, and if you mess up, then you only get two hours of sleep that night." Not a very satisfying answer, especially for the Pulsers.

1 hour ago, The Bookwyrm said:

So, I might be wrong about this, but I think Brandon said at one point that Allomancers might be more resistant to the toxicity of metals. I think he's aware of conundrums like this, and needs some kind of explanation that...makes sense, but kind of has to break a few rules. So, it would just be part of being an Allomancer (in general) gives you the ability to not die (as easily) from ingesting metals.

I think.

Don't quote me on this.

It might all be fake.

Let me spend a few minutes looking for a WoB....

Okay, so...I couldn't find the WoB about what I talked about above, so that's probably completely fake. Random theorizing that doesn't make sense. Here is the WoB that clearly fits your question:

So, the real answer is, "be very careful, and if you mess up, then you only get two hours of sleep that night." Not a very satisfying answer, especially for the Pulsers.

No, you're right. Here's the WoB:

rederel

Now i'm morbidly curious whether u/mistborn has considered it [cadmium poisoning] while writing his books.

Brandon Sanderson

I have, actually. Though I had to consider it for other metals first. I decided that allomancers are immune to these kinds of effects--they're just physiologically different in that regard.

General Reddit 2021 (June 11, 2021)

Those WoBs do seem somewhat contradictory.

I think there's another one somewhere that says Allomancers are resistant to the toxicity but not immune - which fits better with what we see in Era 1, if they were totally immune there'd be no need to warn Vin about it.

(Pewter has lead in it, so cadmium isn't the only one with toxicity problems.)

I just assume that generally speaking a Pulser doesn't ingest their metals so they're not forced to burn just to avoid metal toxicity

I mean, why would you keep cadmium in your reserves normally, it's just not something you'd want to have ingested daily

That said, there are also nicrosil  chromium mistings that could burn it away for you if you had to have it burned off to sleep

Edited by Green Hoodie Mistborn

On 7/14/2022 at 4:17 AM, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

That said, there are also nicrosil  chromium mistings that could burn it away for you if you had to have it burned off to sleep

I can imagine an Era 2/3 shop, like a Soothing Parlour, where you stop by, pay your boxings and get "flushed" of metals.

• 1 year later...
On 9/17/2023 at 7:04 AM, ..... said:

what about making a bubble your not in

You can't make a bubble that your're not in. When you make a Speed Bubble, it is centered around yourself, and if you leave it, the bubble "pops" and disappears. So you would always have to be in the bubble.
You might be able to do it with an Allomantic Grenade, but those aren't available to the public.

Edited by Walter The Moral
Fixing a typo