SP3 - A particular line: "... close to where [redacted redacted]".

Ixthos

I just stopped reading at this line to make this post:

From Secret Project 3 - did we just get a new Shard name, AND a statement about her fate? From the text:

Spoiler

[...]

But we are close to where Virtuosity splintered herself, and I suspect that has had an effect.

So, she splintered herself? Also, I am sure I remember something saying that - at least during Stormlight era - only four Shards were splintered (Devotion, Dominion, Ambition, and Honour). Am I misremembering? If I have it correctly, then that would mean this takes place after Stormlight.

3 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

So, she splintered herself? Also, I am sure I remember something saying that - at least during Stormlight era - only four Shards were splintered (Devotion, Dominion, Ambition, and Honour). Am I misremembering? If I have it correctly, then that would mean this takes place after Stormlight.

Might have been this WoB:

Questioner

How many Shards have been Splintered, besides the four we know?

Brandon Sanderson

You're gonna make me canonize this? I can't canonize this. There's a couple that I'm just kind of...

Questioner

Odium, Endowment, Devotion...

Brandon Sanderson

Okay, Odium has not been Splintered. Endowment and Devotion have been Splintered... Endowment hasn't been Splintered, sorry. Dominion and Devotion have been Splintered. I've confirmed that one other has been Splintered. And then Honor has been Splintered. Those are your four that I've canonized. The other one is, I don't know if I've mentioned who exactly it is, but it's not one that you've seen on one of the planets...

Yeah, I'm not gonna canonize it, exactly how many there are. Because there are things going on in the cosmere that I wanna settle down and decide on once I get to it, exactly what. And Splintering can be a vague term sometimes, too... So that's a RAFO.

Footnote: Brandon has named the fourth canonized Splintered Shard, in Arcanum Unbounded. It is Ambition.
Salt Lake City ComicCon 2017 (Sept. 21, 2017)

But it doesn't say anything about only four shards being splintered. Just that those are the four Brandon had canonized as splintered at the time.

4 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

I just stopped reading at this line to make this post:

From Secret Project 3 - did we just get a new Shard name, AND a statement about her fate? From the text:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, that is interesting. I wonder if silver has an effect on whatever investiture there is on this planet?

5 minutes ago, Nameless said:

Might have been this WoB:

But it doesn't say anything about only four shards being splintered. Just that those are the four Brandon had canonized as splintered at the time.

That might be it. I'll have a further look later to see if I can find what I'm thinking of, though I may have been thinking of this one. Thanks :)

6 minutes ago, Nameless said:

Yeah, that is interesting. I wonder if silver has an effect on whatever investiture there is on this planet?

Perhaps. I haven't finished the sample yet, though this is certainly an interesting setting.

Dude, I literally stopped to come and do the exact same thing. This is huge! This gives us 15/16 Shard names, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get another in one of these secret projects.

I've theorized about there being a Shard like this, in my own personal ideas about what I'd do with a world like the Cosmere. But all my ideas were very different from Virtuosity being the Intent of the Shard. I wonder what we might glean about her reasons from this work...

1 minute ago, Zibus said:

Dude, I literally stopped to come and do the exact same thing. This is huge! This gives us 15/16 Shard names, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get another in one of these secret projects.

I've theorized about there being a Shard like this, in my own personal ideas about what I'd do with a world like the Cosmere. But all my ideas were very different from Virtuosity being the Intent of the Shard. I wonder what we might glean about her reasons from this work...

Yup! I still remember being surprised that Whimsy was a Shard, but then it does make sense. I imagine Virtuosity may be partially a compliment to Ambition - adding limits on how far you can go - and to Devotion and Dominion, setting appropriate modes of response.

1 hour ago, Ixthos said:

I imagine Virtuosity may be partially a compliment to Ambition

Virtuosity is not having virtue but rather being artistically talented, usually musically. It's related to the word virtuoso. 

I thought the same thing at first until I saw someone else bring up the difference.

3 minutes ago, PurpurPhönix said:

Virtuosity is not having virtue but rather being artistically talented, usually musically. It's related to the word virtuoso. 

I thought the same thing at first until I saw someone else bring up the difference.

Ahhh! That makes a lot of sense - so "Skill", not virtue. Then it likely pairs with Invention, and would be another "blue" Shard. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Ixthos said:

Yup! I still remember being surprised that Whimsy was a Shard, but then it does make sense.

Whimsy's been confirmed as a shard? Can someone share the WoB for that?

Edit: I need to reread RoW.

Edited by Ta'veren Kaladin

7 minutes ago, Ta'veren Kaladin said:

Whimsy's been confirmed as a shard? Can someone share the WoB for that?

It was mentioned in Stormlight 4 in text:https://coppermind.net/wiki/Whimsy

There are HUGE spoilers surrounding the list of shards (names, fates, locations, powers), so I would avoid reading about the Shards in-depth if you are not finished all the published books yet. Even just reading an article about the list of shards could be a disaster. 

Edited by teknopathetic

This is perhaps a stretch, but I think that we actually have a good idea on all of the original Shards now. There is a single Shard yet to be canonized, and Brandon has hinted at a not-yet-canon Shard being related to 

Spoiler

Wisdom, or perhaps Prudence. I do not think Virtuosity is similar to either of those. 

What do you guys think? 

Source WoB

Invention isn't particularly close to Prudence, but that was a name Paleo provided. But Invention does imply knowledge, and study, and ingenuity, which gets at stuff that's pretty conceptually close to Wisdom. Close enough that before he settled on the name 'Invention', Brandon could've plausibly being thinking of it when he said that there was a Shard with an Intent similar to Wisdom. Plus the way Harmony talks about Invention makes me think of the survival Shard. 

I'm fascinated by the idea of this Shard. I know we can't really ascribe any one Shard to be the embodiment of a spiritual trait, but we've seen that Honor seems to be, or at least tends to manifest, close to Connection. It seems like Virtuosity might then be just as closely entangled with Intention. After all, the only difference between a pattern created by the wind or water eroding stone and the artist cutting it away is the intent behind the act of creation. The implications are fascinating, and this book may end up teaching us quite a lot about the mechanics behind Intent, just as from Stormlight we're learning more and more about the mechanics of Connection.

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

YAP is potentially centuries in the future compared to SA. How certain can we be that Virtuosity was one of the original 16 as opposed to a product of Shardic fusion?

That's a good point. Virtuosity could easily be a combination of Whimsy and Invention. It would also kind of explain the difference in planets and their culture, with each being more or less impacted by a respective shard. I feel like Painter's planet could easily be closer to the aspect of Whimsy (given the nightmares and methods of fighting them) while Yumi's planet could be a world closer to Invention, given the emphasis on creativity and resourcefulness in both the society and magic we have seen so far.