Possible Shard Combo names

Vin(Diesel)

Ruin + Preservation is called Harmony.

Honor + Odium, it seems to be implied, would be called War.

What do you think other shard combinations might be called, if they ever come into existence? 

You can do combinations of two shards, or combinations of more than two. 

Here are a few ideas: 

Mercy + Devotion = Love

Devotion + Honor = Faithfulness

Autonomy + Mercy = Magnanimity

Invention + Odium = Torment

Honor + Preservation = Civilization

Ambition + Autonomy = Ego

Edited by Vin(Diesel)

6 hours ago, Vin(Diesel) said:

Become, meaning it might still change from Harmony to Discord? Or did you just mean it might have in the past? Can you give me the WOB?

here you go.

Spoiler

Shallan's Ward

While Sazed holds Preservation and Ruin, could his intent change from Harmony to Discord?

Brandon Sanderson

It is possible

Skyward Seattle signing (Nov. 10, 2018)

I think it's pretty much impossible to predict Shard pair namings. It's definitely fun to do it (and I'm not trying to stop anyone, in fact I have fun with it myself), but the name Harmony alone indicates that these pair names might be up to the specific situations in which these pairs are created. Harmony doesn't feel like something that specifically encompasses timelessness and destruction. It could also be a harmony between a number of things, like Ruin and Cultivation, or Autonomy and Honor, or Preservation and Invention. But Harmony was created as a result of the conflict between these two opposing Shards, and finally, they were in harmony.

What I'm trying to say is: Cut Adonalsium into 8 pieces and one of them encompasses Ruin and Preservation, it probably isn't going to be called Harmony. That name is a reaction to how these Shards opposed and fought each other for millennia after the Shattering and were then united.

In a similar way, Odium and Honor might be called War (which I still detest, since part of Kaladin's arc in Way of Kings was reallzing that war - even on the almost mythical Shattered Plains - was without honor most of the time. I think Brandon severely messed that one up) because these two Shards were at war for such a long time.

The Roshar Shard combination names don't make any sense if it's any other way:

Odium + Honor = War, but there already is Dominion, which has also been called Conquest by Brandon. So War and Conquest are two separate entities? Doesn't make sense. Conquest should be a part of War, if anything.

Honor + Cultivation = Science, yet there's a Shard called Invention that would not be part of Science.

Also implied: Cultivation + Odium = Freedom, but there is Autonomy, so there would be Freedom and Autonomy as separate entities.

It only makes sense if you say that the names are strongly influenced by the way the Shards work on their individual worlds.

On 21.2.2022 at 8:39 AM, Vin(Diesel) said:

Mercy + Devotion = Love

Brandon called Devotion Love in the same WOB where he called Dominion Conquest, so there's no need for Mercy there:

Questioner

I wanted to know why in The Stormlight Archive and Mistborn, all the gods were named after human traits?

Brandon Sanderson

So this is... all the books are connected. So a long time ago, the premise is, a being... god named Adonalsium was split into 16 pieces, and so the various "aspects" of god, and those aspects are now the gods of all of these things. So there were two in the Elantris world, there's one in the Warbreaker world. Mostly Mistborn and Stormlight is where you'll find out about them.

Questioner

Preservation, and... I remember Hatred [Odium] in Stormlight.

Brandon Sanderson

Yep, Preservation and Ruin. And on Sel, it was Dominion and Devotion, or Love and Conquest were the two.

Questioner

So all of them are connected?

Brandon Sanderson

Yep.

Tel Aviv Signing (Oct. 18, 2019)

Edited by Elegy

6 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

I don't think the Light names are actual Intents. "Tower" is not an Intent, so the name Warlight may not mean that Honor + Odium make the Intent of "War" - Warlight might just be called that because Honor and Odium are at war.

The Rhythm of the Tower is a bit of a misnomer, if you look you will see it's also called the Rhythm of Science.

8 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

I don't think the Light names are actual Intents. "Tower" is not an Intent, so the name Warlight may not mean that Honor + Odium make the Intent of "War" - Warlight might just be called that because Honor and Odium are at war.

I partially agree. Most lights don't make good Intent names, but I could see War fit Honor + Odium because it is a kind of organized hate with armies that have ranks, chain of command, rules of engagement and treaties all in service of killing their enemies. It doesn't have to be called War, but some kind of Hate & other passionate emotions + a Code people agree to abide by. Like Justice (if you follow the rules you're fine, but if you break the rules you'll be punished by a system with rules) or maybe Vengeance if the balance is different. (like how Harmony could have been Discord). 

Cultivation + Honor = Science or Experimentation which sounds more like an Intent. 

Valor + Preservation = Endurance, Perseverance. Being brave enough to hang in there despite adversity.  

Joke Ones :) 

Cultivation + Odium = Winning The Break Up (getting mad and working out a lot to show up your ex). Self-improvement driven by anger.  

Invention + Whimsy = Prop Comedy i.e. Carrot Top

Devotion + Dominion + Honor = Family Court. Love with legal contracts and control over the kids around whose treatment there are lots of laws. 

Ruin + Endowment = Inheritance. Specifically where you have to spend a night in a haunted house to get it. 

Mercy + Ruin = Euthanasia / Nihilism

Ok, maybe towerlight/sciencelight is not the best example. Think about it in terms of stormlight, voidlight, lifelight. Stormlight comes from Honor, not Storm. Voidlight comes from Odium, not Void. Lifelight comes from Cultivation, not Life. We've literally never had even ONE precedent of a gaseous investiture named after its shard. So I have no idea why it's almost accepted fact on the 17th shard that the union of Honor and Odium would be called War.

Anyway, here's a fun combo: Invention + Dominion = Peer Review

10 hours ago, CryoZenith said:

Ok, maybe towerlight/sciencelight is not the best example. Think about it in terms of stormlight, voidlight, lifelight. Stormlight comes from Honor, not Storm. Voidlight comes from Odium, not Void. Lifelight comes from Cultivation, not Life. We've literally never had even ONE precedent of a gaseous investiture named after its shard.

Yeah.

"Science" does sound more like an Intent than "Tower", but yeah, I think the Light names are just in-world associations - Stormlight comes from highstorms, Voidlight is associated with the enemy/Voidbringers, etc.

And I don't see how Cultivation plus Honor makes "Science" anyway. Honor is about bonds and oaths, Cultivation is about controlled/directed growth. "Civilization" I can see (Cultivation of bonds/oaths/rules, growing a society), but Science specifically sounds more like Cultivation of Knowledge, not Cultivation of Honor.

32 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

And I don't see how Cultivation plus Honor makes "Science" anyway. Honor is about bonds and oaths, Cultivation is about controlled/directed growth. "Civilization" I can see (Cultivation of bonds/oaths/rules, growing a society), but Science specifically sounds more like Cultivation of Knowledge, not Cultivation of Honor.

I actually find Honor + Cultivation = Science to fit better than Honor + Odium = War. Not a perfect fit but still.

So, the way I think about it. There are roughly speaking two aspects of Honor: the bondish/promise-ish aspect, and the more pure impersonal "this is the shard of rules and laws" aspect (granted the second aspect is explored less in SA, but Raboniel does explicitly mention it, so make of that what you will). Likewise, there are roughly speaking two aspects of Cultivation: the aspect of the representation of the natural world (whether or not it has constant growth), and the aspect of pure growth (whether or not it is growth OF nature).

Depending on which aspects you mix, you get a different final Intent. If you combine Honor's second aspect with Cultivation's first aspect, you get Laws of Nature (or, in other words, Science). If you combine Cultivation's second aspect with Honor's first aspect, you get Growth of Bonds (or, in other words, Civilization).

On 2/23/2022 at 8:06 PM, CryoZenith said:

There are roughly speaking two aspects of Honor: the bondish/promise-ish aspect, and the more pure impersonal "this is the shard of rules and laws" aspect (granted the second aspect is explored less in SA, but Raboniel does explicitly mention it, so make of that what you will). Likewise, there are roughly speaking two aspects of Cultivation: the aspect of the representation of the natural world (whether or not it has constant growth), and the aspect of pure growth (whether or not it is growth OF nature).

Depending on which aspects you mix, you get a different final Intent. If you combine Honor's second aspect with Cultivation's first aspect, you get Laws of Nature (or, in other words, Science). If you combine Cultivation's second aspect with Honor's first aspect, you get Growth of Bonds (or, in other words, Civilization).

Hmm, that does mske sense. I had kind of figured that Honor = Rules and Laws in general and Cultivation = Nature in general (and Odium = Emotion in general) was a flawed in-world interpretation by people like Raboniel who aren't aware of all sixteen Shards so try to make Honor, Cultivation, and Odium cover all of existence.

But maybe that is a real thing.

I made a few of these up a while ago, here you go:

Devotion+Dominion=Deference, is a D word and aligns with both of them.

Mercy+Odium=Retribution, deals with the offensive part of forgiveness. This one scares me.

Ruin+Valor=Defiance. You need to be brave to want to start anew/pull something down.

Autonomy+Endowment=Unconstrained

Ambition+Whimsy=Enthusiasm, this one is just fun.

Cultivation+Invention=Enlightenment

Honor+Preservation=Salvation

Whimsy+Odium =Mania

On 2/27/2022 at 6:30 AM, apepi said:

Mercy+Odium=Retribution, deals with the offensive part of forgiveness. This one scares me.

This makes a lot of sense. It's completely terrifying, but fits with some if the theories about a more aggressive Mercy (the Mercy of death, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...