Siren's Call: an RP

Negative_Null

46 minutes ago, Fallapede said:

"A fine name. I do not wish to pry if it would make you uncomfortable, but would you mind telling me how you came to be upon that island? You and your companion seem in rather poor shape."

“We flew,” Vespyr said, still dazed.  What... what exactly had it done?  Where did it go now?  The kid was alive. So... what now?  “Where are we going?” Vespyr took a bottle from their pack and took a drink. 

50 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

“We flew,” Vespyr said, still dazed.  What... what exactly had it done?  Where did it go now?  The kid was alive. So... what now?  “Where are we going?” Vespyr took a bottle from their pack and took a drink. 

Out of character, I have no idea. Raodea, probably? Any input is welcome.

13 hours ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

“I...” Vespyr stopped. The Queen... wouldn’t remember this name from over ten years ago. Vespyr needed an alias if the Queen was searching for “Siren.”  “My name is Vespyr,” it said, unusually slowly, as if hearing the word for the first time. 

"Vespyr..." Janice slowly mouthed the word to herself.

12 hours ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

"Can we go to..." Janice swallowed, clenching her fists, determined not to cry. "Lena's... island..."

@Fallapede

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

36 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Vespyr..." Janice slowly mouthed the word to herself.

"Can we go to..." Janice swallowed, clenching her fists, determined not to cry. "Lena's... island..."

"I apologize, child, but I am unfamiliar with the people of whom you speak. We are currently on course for Raodea, if that is of any help to you. Once we arrive and I am able to treat both Vespyr's and your wounds, I would be happy to take you anywhere I can. Is this reasonable?"

2 minutes ago, Fallapede said:

"I apologize, child, but I am unfamiliar with the people of whom you speak. We are currently on course for Raodea, if that is of any help to you. Once we arrive and I am able to treat both Vespyr's and your wounds, I would be happy to take you anywhere I can. Is this reasonable?"

Janice nodded. "Thanks."

1 hour ago, Fallapede said:

“We are unharmed,” Vespyr explained, sitting solidly on some cargo. What?  Janice had just suffered a little mild torture. It wasn’t like she was bleeding or dying or needed medical care. 

4 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

“We are unharmed,” Vespyr explained, sitting solidly on some cargo. What?  Janice had just suffered a little mild torture. It wasn’t like she was bleeding or dying or needed medical care. 

"I hate to disagree with your medical analysis, but both of you are so hurt and exhausted it is a wonder you can stay awake, much less talk. I must insist that you receive proper medical care before you continue on your journey, wherever it is that you are going."

47 minutes ago, Fallapede said:

"I hate to disagree with your medical analysis, but both of you are so hurt and exhausted it is a wonder you can stay awake, much less talk. I must insist that you receive proper medical care before you continue on your journey, wherever it is that you are going."

“This is normal,” Vespyr said. “I will not need medical care. In a few days, I will be dead. Sleep would be an annoyance.”  Vespyr pointed a gloved finger at Janice. “This one just needs a meal and to walk a little.  There is nothing physically damaged with her.”

38 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

“This is normal,” Vespyr said. “I will not need medical care. In a few days, I will be dead. Sleep would be an annoyance.”  Vespyr pointed a gloved finger at Janice. “This one just needs a meal and to walk a little.  There is nothing physically damaged with her.”

"I see you have a very skewed concept of the acceptable standard of human wellbeing. You may be acclimated to pain and suffering, and I sorrow for the losses you have endured, but I will not allow you to die if there is even a remote possibility of preventing it. As for - what is your name, child? - she has been exposed to a level of suffering that no one should be allowed to experience, let alone a child of her age. As her guardian, you must take far better care of her than whatever her previous situation was, and even if you do not value your own life, you must take responsiblity for preserving and enriching hers." Brother Sparrow sighs, and takes a deep breath. "I apologize for my outburst. I am in no position to judge on such matters."

Just now, Fallapede said:

"I see you have a very skewed concept of the acceptable standard of human wellbeing. You may be acclimated to pain and suffering, and I sorrow for the losses you have endured, but I will not allow you to die if there is even a remote possibility of preventing it. As for - what is your name, child? - she has been exposed to a level of suffering that no one should be allowed to experience, let alone a child of her age. As her guardian, you must take far better care of her than whatever her previous situation was, and even if you do not value your own life, you must take responsiblity for preserving and enriching hers." Brother Sparrow sighs, and takes a deep breath. "I apologize for my outburst. I am in no position to judge on such matters."

"Janice," she whispered. "It's not her fault."

59 minutes ago, Fallapede said:

Vespyr swayed backward, as if the words were creating a physical gale. In actuality, Vespyr was simply surprised at the level of passion and assumptions that this man was making. “I’m dead when I run out of my supply of Nectar,” Vespyr clarified, “It is spiked with an assortment of highly addictive drugs in a formula unknown to me.”  Vespyr spoke casually, as if it wasn’t afraid. It tapped the top of Janice’s head. “Do you want a child?  You seem to know about them.”  Maybe children couldn’t survive torture?  That was strange. Vespyr and the other children had survived tortures far worse than Janice had endured for the time she’d been captive. Maybe that wasn’t normal. 

6 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

Vespyr swayed backward, as if the words were creating a physical gale. In actuality, Vespyr was simply surprised at the level of passion and assumptions that this man was making. “I’m dead when I run out of my supply of Nectar,” Vespyr clarified, “It is spiked with an assortment of highly addictive drugs in a formula unknown to me.”  Vespyr spoke casually, as if it wasn’t afraid. It tapped the top of Janice’s head. “Do you want a child?  You seem to know about them.”  Maybe children couldn’t survive torture?  That was strange. Vespyr and the other children had survived tortures far worse than Janice had endured for the time she’d been captive. Maybe that wasn’t normal. 

"Chemical dependency is indeed a grave problem, though it may be possible to wean you off of it over time. I cannot be certain without precise knowledge of what is contained in what you are taking, but there is certainly no reason to give up hope. In any case, you must immediately limit your consumption to the bare minimum necessary to keep you alive. As regards children, I am no more knowledgeable than any other person with a basic regard for human life." What in the world had these people been through? Even the war for the islands hadn't been this bad... At least, not to start with.

8 minutes ago, Fallapede said:

"Chemical dependency is indeed a grave problem, though it may be possible to wean you off of it over time. I cannot be certain without precise knowledge of what is contained in what you are taking, but there is certainly no reason to give up hope. In any case, you must immediately limit your consumption to the bare minimum necessary to keep you alive. As regards children, I am no more knowledgeable than any other person with a basic regard for human life." What in the world had these people been through? Even the war for the islands hadn't been this bad... At least, not to start with.

Vespyr grew still. “I have not been without Nectar in at least thirteen years,” it explained. “The delayed strain of my abilities will strike the instant I run out of Nectar, regardless of if I am able to ration myself off of the addictive substances within.”  It truly was a dire situation. Vespyr doubted even a skilled healer would be able to keep them stable. Even if the body survived the agony, the mind likely would not. What state of life would Vespyr even be able to entertain should it survive?  Perhaps... to cut the drugged nectar with common street supply could prolong the addiction... but even fighting that battle had a grim outcome. 

Vespyr wasn’t opposed to survival. It just wasn’t likely, with the addictive nature of the drugs. It was especially unlikely if Vespyr was going to be expected to be off of Nectar entirely. 

Here, for my 2,500th post I'll get things moving again :P 

I think we can time skip from here unless someone wants to have conversation.

A few minutes later, they were all in the boat again, floating away from the island they had just fought on. Back towards home. Maddy didn't really know what the future held, but it likely had something to do with a criminal trial and shopping. She looked back at Cadenza and Aryanna and suppressed a smile.

Edited by Matrim's Dice

50 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

A few minutes later, they were all in the boat again, floating away from the island they had just fought on. Back towards home. Maddy didn't really know what the future held, but it likely had something to do with a criminal trial and shopping. She looked back at Cadenza and Aryanna and suppressed a smile.

The colonel walked aboard the boat standing incredibly close to Cruz, hand on his shoulder as he guided him onto the boat with him. Despite new orders coming down the pipe, Tulcam felt drained by the last few days; he never would show how drained he felt, but what had happened in that fight had taken its toll on him. He knew he couldn't let another episode happen again, and he wouldn't; at least, he hoped he wouldn't. Whatever his new orders were that awaited him, he would need to focus on them instead of this mess, this whole thing kept reminding him of them somehow. Hopefully he could find some comfort in knowing that he had Cruz on a leash, but with Trace and that masked creature still roaming free, Tulcam wasn't sure if he could. He watched the water from on top of the boat, as it ebbed and flowed back and forth, wondering what mess he had gotten himself into this time, as well as wondering if he would make it out of this one intact, and not just physically.

6 hours ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

The delayed strain of my abilities will strike the instant I run out of Nectar, regardless of if I am able to ration myself off of the addictive substances within

The Queen's consciousness seems to nudge Vespyr's, although oddly it seems less present than when the Queen usually speaks to her.

5 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Jay stood on the boat. They'd been spending a lot of time traveling and fighting. It would be good to move on to a different kind of action, although he doubted it would be that much more restful in the long run. 

Despite what he'd said earlier about somewhat giving up on Janice, he opened his Scry and began searching for disturbances around the world. Yevon across the globe seemed to have retreated in the last few hours, some giving up attacks halfway through. Some astronomers thought Kraeos might be changing and this was the precursor to it. Jay wondered idly if and how that would affect Janice, wherever she was.

4 minutes ago, Negative_Null said:

The Queen's consciousness seems to nudge Vespyr's, although oddly it seems less present than when the Queen usually speaks to her.

Vespyr ignored the prodding for a moment.  But... what if the Queen could find them through Vespyr?  The creature tuned into the voice hesitantly.