Introducing The Stormlight Archive to My Wife, or: A Hilarious Series of Names

Goatbringer

Wow. This is amazing! Thank you! Thanksthanksthanksthanksthanks! Yes! It’s good that she liked the NO MATING! part. It is one of the most important in the book. Yay! I couldn’t stop laughing! I love this thread so much! Thank you for sharing this! 

3 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

I was similarly perplexed. In Eshonai’s prologue perspective, she mentions Klade or another one of the Listener leaders being drawn to Szeth by a voice – are we all in agreement that this is Odium influencing the Listeners to Szeth to make sure that this budding future Bondsmith is killed?

The best theories think that it was Nale's spren leading the listeners to Szeth because Nale can't kill people directly although you don't yet know about Nale's spren.

3 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

TAY: Willshapers? Is that what they call a conveyancing attorney? Help you dissolve your estate? Ha!

WIllshapers would probably hate lawyers more then anyone else on the planet.

4 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

Not really a specific quote, but when the “No Mating” scene showed up, Tay lost it. She is starting to feel feelings for Pattern usually only reserved for our cats and is now referring to Pattern as ‘my baby

Well I suppose you now don't have to worry about baby names if you ever wish to have children.

Can’t the leader of the Ghostbloods just be named “Steve”?

He might be.  That would be kind of terrifying actually.  I wonder what Steve is like.

She got actual chills down her spine when Dalinar realized he heard Evi’s name.

sobs.

ME: Well she fled further into the mountain so she’s not a problem any more.
TAY: Not a problem!? She’s still a problem! I’d be even more paranoid living in this place now. It’s like if we had confirmation that there were deadly toxic mushrooms in our house but we don’t know where they are. Would you call that ‘not a problem’?

I actually kind of sympathize with Tay but she does not know how hard actually killing an unmade is.  The thing is thousands of years old.  However it would have to be pretty stupid to come back to Urithiru.  It is the one place where someone very capable of fighting it is. 

2 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

So Luke is also a radiant now, not only a Jedi? Well, I guess this to resemble each other anyway. Lightsabers and shardblades act similarly - except for the fact ligghtsabers cut your body, not your soul.

Before my autocorrect got used to my reading habits, it used to change Lightweaver into "Lightsaber".

(And autocomplete thinks that sentence should be followed up with "God", "black" , or "American" . I don't even with this phone sometimes).

9 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

We decided to skip Soilencourager for the time being, just because Tay wanted more Kaladin/Dalinar/Shallan action – but mainly she found out that Pattern wasn’t in the novella and wasn’t super interested in it.

First off, prayers & wishes that Tay's back gets better soon.:)

• I do hope you can at least give Tay a summary of Edgedancer before you get to Lift's parts in Oathbringer - otherwise when she says "more food" to Dalinar it's not funny at all, and we all know how your wife loves funny parts.:D I think Tay will enjoy Wyndle as a "Shardfork," amongst other passages. Oh, and the Dysian Aimian! I bet she'll think that's really cool, & (maybe) want to go back through all the books looking for odd cremlings (or am I the only one to have that urge?).
  • Re: Gavilar: Not so sure he was a budding Bondsmith, but that's all I'll say 'cause spoilers. The whole scene of Gavilar's assassination keeps getting more and more complicated, so Tay's question is on all of our minds. Have you reminded her that slave-Szeth was previously owned by Liss the assassin (prologue to Words of Radiance)? "Always another secret..."
  • Tay will have a much better idea what spren are after the trip through Shadesmar later on in OB. I predict she will chuckle at why Anticipationspren look like they do in the Physical realm.
  • Great observation re: how being with someone who is in a "flow" state is key to building relationships!
  • Also great: "Brightlord Tacocat" - - hahahahaha!

Crem before cremlings!

Edited by Iarwainiel
condensing

On 9/10/2020 at 0:44 AM, Halyo_Alex said:

I am so unbelievably upset.

Tay why have you done this.

Tay please. :unsure:

I'm surprised that the audio books would pronounce it that way. Guess I'm glad to be a hardcover reader & get to make up my own pronunciations. I've always pronounced the start of Urithuru the same as the beginning of Lt. Uhura's name in Star Trek - like "oo," so it's "oo-ri-thoo-roo." How would one even think to pronounce it like "you"? Do they pronounce the final syllable the same way, so it's "you-ri-thoo-ryou"? Weird ... But as Brandon says, we're all co-creators & there's no right or wrong pronunciations, so it's all good.:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Woohoo! Another update! 

Hehe. Princess Diaries.

Love the Hamilton references! The Taravangian memes were great!I just laughed so storming hard. 

*Tay attuned amusement* hehe. That part was great.  

Cosmo, You Voidbringer! 

Yay for Jasnah! Love that part too!

I CAN'T WAIT FOR RoW TOO!!!!! 

1 hour ago, Goatbringer said:

While there were no zingers at Evi’s fate, we both are of the opinion that it is a little upsettingly cliché – the whole Fridge Horror trope of women being killed only to add to the character struggle of the main male character. Sanderson certainly has some great, progressive female characters, but it’s kind of a bummer that this trope wormed its way into the series.

*Discussion on safehands*

TAY: Hey, tell this to your shard people: do you think Sanderson created safehands because they are what he wants? You know? Like how some guys go crazy over feet? Think he’s all into handies?
ME: I’m upset that this topic has been broached.

Why is this a thing?

also, no Tay Taravangian is not Boromir, Boromir was a perfectly normal dude until the Ring stepped in Taravangian is just evil.

TAY: Okay I’ve got a golden nugget for you. Mraize is a pretty good employer. Hear me out!
ME: What!?
TAY: HEAR ME OUT! He only asks Shallan to do what she’s already doing, pays her by saving her family members, and offers covering up murders as part of her employment package. Can you imagine how much less stressful my job would be if I knew they would cover up my murders?

I mean, she's not wrong. So far, the Ghostbloods have been positively straightforwardly good to and for Shallan. We know they're shady because of their methods, but so far it seems that they're pretty good to those who are in their in-group.

It's why there's this dissonance about them - we want to think of them as evil because of all these asssassinations, but for Shallan they're just... not.

On 11/13/2020 at 8:40 AM, Goatbringer said:

--

While there were no zingers at Evi’s fate, we both are of the opinion that it is a little upsettingly cliché – the whole Fridge Horror trope of women being killed only to add to the character struggle of the main male character. Sanderson certainly has some great, progressive female characters, but it’s kind of a bummer that this trope wormed its way into the series.

-

To be fair, Tien was male. And if you count killing the person yourself as fridging, Mr. and Mrs. Davar still leave the "killed for MC's angsty backstory" count at 50-50 genderwise.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:40 PM, Goatbringer said:

*Nightblood is making fun of Szeth for listening to the commands of his ‘magic rock’*

TAY: The abject beauty of a magic sword looking down on a magic rock.

hey, at least the magic sword can talk! I've not read anything about his magic rock speaking to him

On 11/13/2020 at 9:40 PM, Goatbringer said:

*Stormfather is being ornery with Dalinar*

TAY: The Stormdaddy is such a sulky *censored*. He’s the kind of guy who would get a haircut, then get mad that Dalinar didn’t compliment him right away.

Luckily, 'Stormdaddy' stops being such a stuck up idiot and actually talks to Dalinar properly by the end of the book.

Also TIL ornery is a word, and thus my vocabulary expands by another word. All on the path to total understanding of all English!

On 11/20/2020 at 5:44 PM, Realmatic Shadow said:

Also TIL ornery is a word, and thus my vocabulary expands by another word. All on the path to total understanding of all English!

Fun fact, the tavern that Bridge Four debates going to in Words of Radiance is called "The Ornery Chull".