Stormlight 4 2020 Release Date Confirmed

Isaiah Zayth

Dangerous operation will be the Singers trying to take Urithiru. The caverns under Uirithiru will be explored. 

Arms race, Dawnshards of course! More Herald Killer blades, maybe. Fabrials, Navani has had a year to study the King's Drop, which she connected to Gavilar's black spheres, that are shown in the prologue.

9 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

I think the new technological developments will be thanks to Navani, and since Brandon also said he has enjoyed writing her lately, hints that Navani will be one of the view point characters in the book!

"The arms race that follows will challenge the very core of the Radiant ideals" sounds like a weapon will be (re)discovered or developed that leads to a conflict of conscience with the Immortal Words.

Navani is deeply interested in developing new fabrials, which as Taravangian explained to Dalinar in Oathbringer (Ch. 100) regarding the "half-Shard" fabrials that could block Shardblades,

"That gemstone," Taravangian said, "imprisons the kind of spren that gives things substance, the kind that holds the world together. We have entrapped in that shield something that, at another time, might have blessed a Knight Radiant. ... Do you know how we capture spren for fabrials, Dalinar? From spanreeds to heatrials, it's all the same. You lure the spren with something it loves. You give it something familiar to draw it in, something it knows deeply."

And of course, this tidbit of info is what leads Dalinar to capture Nergoul, The Thrill, in the King's Drop at Thaylen Fields.

And now what? ... Is it possible that Navani will figure out a way to weaponize that Unmade spren captured in the King's Drop? Because while heatrials "enslave" flamespren, Taravangian implies that the half-Shards are made with sentient spren that could form a Nahel Bond - so, more than simply a gravityspren or a bindspren of the kind that Kaladin manipulates to do Lashings. An Unmade would be like that, leveled up. And evidently a fabrial is made AFTER a spren is captured in a gem, not at the moment of capturing.

Would such a weapon be in conflict with the Immortal Words?

I am incredibly hyped for this, and I LOVE Brandon for hitting the deadline. 

Also, an arms race? Did not expect that, but yay. Wonder if someone is making a hemalurgic beaver? 

25 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

I think the new technological developments will be thanks to Navani, and since Brandon also said he has enjoyed writing her lately, hints that Navani will be one of the view point characters in the book!

For once we agree. Navani will defenitely have major part in this book. Seems like Urithiru exploration is key as well. If the Sibling is connected to the tower, we will defenitely learn of it in this. 

Furthermore, the fact that Odiums forces are undertaking a dangerous expedition makes me wonder: will one of the three POV group be a villain team? A section consisting of Moash, Nale, etc, would be sweet.

Even the cover page has raised questions. Arms race? Do you think Dawnshards or honorblades!? Oooh the hidden Shardblade cache! Radiants will be shaken to the core of their ideals again?! And the ancient tower!! Hello sibling!!

Edited by The traveller

29 minutes ago, Duke of Lizards said:

Ah! Best news ever! My mind is racing!! 

What if someone gets ahold of Nightblood and figures out a way to copy him and manufacture shardblades?! 

I don't think studying nightblood would be too helpful in reality. Azure already has a blade akin to Nightblood, we don't know how similar though. But through many WOB's we know that Nightblood is an extremely special case. 

17 minutes ago, robardin said:

And of course, this tidbit of info is what leads Dalinar to capture Nergoul, The Thrill, in the King's Drop at Thaylen Fields.

And now what? ... Is it possible that Navani will figure out a way to weaponize that Unmade spren captured in the King's Drop? Because while heatrials "enslave" flamespren, Taravangian implies that the half-Shards are made with sentient spren that could form a Nahel Bond - so, more than simply a gravityspren or a bindspren of the kind that Kaladin manipulates to do Lashings. An Unmade would be like that, leveled up. And evidently a fabrial is made AFTER a spren is captured in a gem, not at the moment of capturing.

I like this idea. Like, 'new technological discoveries' has to refer to new Fabrials, right? Nothing else that could be discovered on Roshar could be reasonably described as technological. And certainly Nergaoul could be used to fuel a pretty powerful one.

I hope they're not dumb enough to try to use Nergaoul to power Urithiru.

26 minutes ago, robardin said:

"The arms race that follows will challenge the very core of the Radiant ideals" sounds like a weapon will be (re)discovered or developed that leads to a conflict of conscience with the Immortal Words.

Navani is deeply interested in developing new fabrials, which as Taravangian explained to Dalinar in Oathbringer (Ch. 100) regarding the "half-Shard" fabrials that could block Shardblades,

Would such a weapon be in conflict with the Immortal Words?

I think part of the acceleration in technological advancement will come from the fact that they now know what shardblades, soulcasters and plate really are. I think everyone working so hard to replicate blade, soulcaster, and plate preventing them from trying new things. Now that Navani knows it is from a radiant bond, their research can progress in the right direction. It is like trying to get a plane to fly by flapping its wings. The wing span needed to be able to lift the weight of a single person alone is huge. But once development started in finding a way to produce propulsion and the wings are used to glide along it, aviation technology accelerated. I think the same will occur with fabrial technology. Now they know where to put their effort. 

Dawnshards, Fabrials, Unmade, Urithiru. What will the arms race be for is the big question? I think the dawnshards are a huge potential. While fabrials will obviously continue development I don't think the singers are going after the fabrials. Shards and dawnshards seem like the most obvious answer. What about the Unmade and the Heralds? What will Nale and the Skybreakers be up to. So many questions to be asked, so many answers to hopefully be found.

brandon did say that a 2020 release would only be possible if he finished the first draft by the end of the year. the progress bar on his site is still set at 85% (not that i check daily; i check more than daily :ph34r:).

so it means that either the progress bar isn't updated (but it moved last time a few days ago? i think? i can lose track of time), or they think they can make faster time on the revisions (possibly because they are already well set in the first revision), or they will probably move the date backwards eventually.

2 hours ago, Gilphon said:

I hope they're not dumb enough to try to use Nergaoul to power Urithiru.

just one comment: what could possibly go wrong?

Oathbringer essentially answered all major questions readers had going into, rather than spreading that info out over books 4 and 5.  (Recreance, Odium's champion, Order that did not break their oath etc.)

I expect RoW to do the exact same.  Sounds about the time to discover what Dawnshards are, where the rest of the Shardblades are, Feverstone Keep, Aimia, the Sibling and more details about the Recreance.  Can't even fathom the questions we're going to have afterwards for book 5.

Crazy Cosmere Spoilers   

Spoiler

Who's that guy with a spiked eye ordering Mraize around?

(This is an exciting day, let me dream...)

An arms race, huh? As we leave Oathbringer, we know that Vasher, Navani, Nightsblood, Nergaoul-in-sphere, Jasnah, et al will be in Urithiru. We also know that Azhure will be heading there eventually and that Venli has officially joined the good guys (so might make an appearance by the end of the book?). I can only imagine what the most technologically and realmatically advanced people on the planet could come up with!

Edit: Also, did the title change? I thought it had been confirmed as Rhythm of War?

Edited by Q10fanatic
Another thought!