Trails of Cold Steel (and the Kiseki series in general)

Zurvanight

Hmm I’m just catching the same kind of fish.. Got 2 new spots and nothing new hitting and I have no clue how much time I need to focus on on this mini game. It’s soooooo much easier this game! Hope I haven’t missed anything... I’ve fished probably close to 150 times already in 30 hrs hours thanks to the bait drops of the weed enemies.

You don't have to worry about permanently missing any fish because everything will show up at one or another of the endgame fishing locations.

And yes, I prefer the CS3/4 fishing minigame myself (and next the Sky/Crossbell one) to the CS1/2 system, but I think the most fun fishing minigame Falcom has done so far is the one in Ys VIII.

Edited by Weltall

On 22/2/2021 at 1:15 AM, aneonfoxtribute said:

What. How in the world can you be on THE Brandon Sanderson fansite and not know who Brandon is

I think they said in one of the celebration threads (the one million posts one, I think) that they just found the Kiseki thread on their travels across the internet and created an account to participate. 

Second games in an arc generally have much faster pacing, since the bulk of the setting and character-establishing gets done in the first game so the next can hit the ground running. Or at least jogging somewhat briskly.

And yeah, seconding the whole 'Read Brandon!' thing. Not for nothing do I like to tell people who I know enjoy Trails to check out the Cosmere and vice-versa, since they have some distinct similarities in worldbuilding and the deeper you get into both, the more fun they are to discuss and do crazy theorycrafting with. And hey, a few of Brandon's books have Japanese translations and Falcom clearly has fans of western fantasy literature on the staff so who knows, one day maybe we'll see a nod to the Cosmere somewhere in Zemuria like we've already got many nods to Tolkien and some to Le Guin, Eddings and Zelazny, xD

Edited by Weltall

I think that the "long running world builders" quartet is One Piece, Cosmere, Wheel of Time, and Trails. Wheel of Time is the only one I wouldn't readily recommend to absolutely everyone reading the others (except cosmere), and the only reasons for that is because I haven't finished and some people may not be able to handle how slow it is. It is the slowest of the lot by a mile. 

Interesting. Among those four, the only one I haven't started is One Piece. I've been meaning to watch it since forever but I wanted to have a space I could dedicate exclusively to that, and I've come to discover that it's not as easy as it sounds. 

Maybe I should read the manga instead. That should be at least twice as fast and I could read at every little free moment even if it's just a few pages.

Just now, Eluvianii said:

Interesting. Among those four, the only one I haven't started is One Piece. I've been meaning to watch it since forever but I wanted to have a space I could dedicate exclusively to that, and I've come to discover that it's not as easy as it sounds. 

Maybe I should read the manga instead. That should be at least twice as fast and I could read at every little free moment even if it's just a few pages.

Yes. Read the manga. The manga for OP is far and away the best possible way to experience it. The art is beautiful, there are colored scans, reading 1000 chapters is way faster than watching 1000 episodes, and the pacing isn't absolutely horrendous. The anime has one very very large problem, and that is that none of the people making it are willing to do anything but keep pumping out episodes every week of canon content. They have long since gotten to a point where they are only adapting one chapter into an episode, and when most anime take 3-4, that completely shoots the pacing. They have to add, like, seven minutes of credits+recap and then when they get to the episodes, they're a mix of actual canon story, reaction shots that are reused five times or more in the space of a single scene for seconds at a time, and elongating fights that were really short in the manga and thus making characters essentially feel threatened by what is a joke in the manga. The worst part is that if they did what OTHER anime do, and add filler arcs, this wouldn't be an issue. People could skip over the filler, the filler could potentially be good (because OP's anime actually has one of the best filler arcs ever made and with Oda recently taking direct involvement in the movies, he could also get involved in filler content for the anime), and the pacing for the actual story would be a million times better. Not to say the anime doesn't do some things right, when it does a scene good it does it REALLY good, and the voice acting is perfectly on point, dub and sub. But I wouldn't say it's worth it to go through the whole anime just for that. My heartiest recommendation is reading the manga, preferably the colored scans because they are beautiful, and then watching clips of really good scenes in the anime on Youtube. And watching the G-8 filler arc, that is very important.

I don't read books as much as I used to. I read Tolkien, Narnia, Dragonlance, Warhammer, Warcraft, etc. Aside from Tolkien, the books were usually short, like 200-300 pages, rarely 400 pages or more. I never really got into books of longer length or any of those famed doorstopper, epic fantasy novel series. In my experience, those longer books have too much fluff, where the pacing drags out and there are too many subplots and half of the subplots are boring or don't really contribute anything, and I just get bored and put the book down and never come back to it. I would rather read a visual novel or a manga, because even if there is bloat, at least it has nice art going for it (or in the case of visual novels, music and some voice acting). It's easier for me to stay engaged with a VN or a manga over a book nowadays. 

I have a small backlog of short length fantasy novels I still need to finish. I might finally get around to them this year. Attack on Titan only has one chapter left next month and then it's over. Final Fantasy XIV gets one more patch in April, and then there is nothing until the big finale comes out in Fall. I've seen all of the anime on Crunchyroll I'm interested in. I'm currently half way playing through the Utawarerumono trilogy, and if I finish that and Cold Steel IV isn't out on PC yet, then I'll probably read some books. Maybe if I finish those books, I'll consider reading Way of Kings or something.

3 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

I think that the "long running world builders" quartet is One Piece, Cosmere, Wheel of Time, and Trails. Wheel of Time is the only one I wouldn't readily recommend to absolutely everyone reading the others (except cosmere), and the only reasons for that is because I haven't finished and some people may not be able to handle how slow it is. It is the slowest of the lot by a mile. 

I'd also drop FFXIV in there. I think FFXIV compares favorably to Trails as the other, long running JRPG saga. I think FFXIV nails the overall main storyline far better than Trails does. In Trails, I feel like the main story about Ouroboros has never gone anywhere. You never really knock out any villains or learn more about the plot, or make any real progress towards stopping them. It's rather sad that we are... what? 9 or 10 games into Trails, and we still don't have basic info about the big bad's goals or motivations or plans. FFXIV has been very satisfying to me on that front, because I feel we are always making progress towards taking out the Ascians, or learning more about the plot, and so on. By the first expansion, we know what the bad guys are trying to do and how they're going to do it, and by the third expansion most of the bad guys have been dealt with. I guess I'm also more upbeat about FFXIV's main story because it's actually concluding later this year, and I KNOW it's going to be worth the buildup. Whereas with Trails, I don't know if I'm going to live to see the ending in decade or two, and I somewhat doubt it will be worth the buildup. I think that for a 300 hour long game, FFXIV has told a more fulfilling main story than Trails has done in 1,000 hours, but at this point I don't really play Trails for the main story anymore.

I've heard that Xenoblade might become another overarching JRPG storyline, but given the Xeno series' track record, I'm not optimistic. Plus, 5 years between games isn't very fun either.

1 hour ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

My heartiest recommendation is reading the manga, preferably the colored scans because they are beautiful, and then watching clips of really good scenes in the anime on Youtube. And watching the G-8 filler arc, that is very important.

For the One Piece anime, the anime up to the start of the Skypeia arc is pretty decently paced, and I'd recommend it. I found that the first couple arcs were boring, but once they met Mihawk it started picking up for me. The pacing of the anime nosedives once you reach Skypeia, but at that point you can start watching the One Pace fanedit, which cuts out the bloat. And yes, the G-8 arc was really fun, best part of the show IMO.

I've stopped at Long Ring Island for now. I think that the best part of the show is the scheming in between each arc and the development of the main plot, but when the show plunges into another round of Luffy adventuring, I sorta tune out for the first half of the arc. I'm really excited for Impel Down and Marineford and Wano, but I don't feel like slogging through the other adventure arcs to get there right now.

Edited by Val the Moofia Boss

15 minutes ago, Eluvianii said:

Huh. I had heard that the adaptation had almost no filler, but I didn't know that was how they managed it. So that is unfortunate. But there were colored scans?! It's decided then, I'm on it. 

It has almost no filler, in the traditional way. Not many filler arcs and such. It does worse. One Piece is the absolute proof that filler arcs can be a good thing

I’m only just this morning finding out what droplets do. I hadn’t looked before. Extra incentive to fish for sure. Might take awhile but I think well worth it most likely.

Also the link lvls are like lightning fast in CS3. I’m already at lvl 4 all around with these 4 and I’m only in Parm. 

6 hours ago, NattyBo said:

Wow. Chapter 8 in Trails SC was mind blowing. No idea how far I have to go in the finale but I’m really enjoying this game. Going to jump into FC today on PC, if I am able to wrap SC up!

I assume you meant The 3rd? <gets popcorn>

2 hours ago, urrutiap said:

just late last night i bought and installed Trails of Cold Steel III for my Nintendo Switch Lite.  First time playing it since I never played a Trails of Cold Steel game

Just as a heads-up, since CS3 is, well, the third game in the arc, you're going to hit the ground running because the narrative assumes you're familiar with a lot of details from the first two games and will merrily give away plot points from them that were originally big reveals. Since one of the major characters (Juna) is not a native Erebonian she kind of helps because she's the one to ask questions or need stuff explained to her (and does the same for everyone else when the plot involves her homeland of Crossbell) but there's still gonna be a lot that gets glossed over.

So if you're confused on any point, that's probably going to be why. Feel free to ask questions if you want clarification on stuff.

39 minutes ago, Weltall said:

I assume you meant The 3rd? <gets popcorn>

Just as a heads-up, since CS3 is, well, the third game in the arc, you're going to hit the ground running because the narrative assumes you're familiar with a lot of details from the first two games and will merrily give away plot points from them that were originally big reveals. Since one of the major characters (Juna) is not a native Erebonian she kind of helps because she's the one to ask questions or need stuff explained to her (and does the same for everyone else when the plot involves her homeland of Crossbell) but there's still gonna be a lot that gets glossed over.

So if you're confused on any point, that's probably going to be why. Feel free to ask questions if you want clarification on stuff.

You don't need to play the prior games to understand the story. Everything you need to know about the story of a given game is given to you in that game. The only thing is that playing the prior Cold Steel games just gets you more invested in the characters since you've spent more time with them, seen their struggle. But you don't need to have done so to enjoy CS3.

20 minutes ago, NattyBo said:

My God the finale chapter of Trails SC just keeps going. Too much of a good thing. Come on. Wrap it up quicker after the billionth boss fight 

Yeah, SC has a very long Finale, probably the second-longest in the series after Trails to Azure.

1 hour ago, Val the Moofia Boss said:

You don't need to play the prior games to understand the story.

You'll note that I didn't say that, I said that a lot of the development from the earlier games is glossed over.

6 hours ago, urrutiap said:

just late last night i bought and installed Trails of Cold Steel III for my Nintendo Switch Lite.  First time playing it since I never played a Trails of Cold Steel game

I would call that inadvisable. It's like jumping into Oathbringer without having ever read a cosmere book before, except even worse because in this context Mistborn and Elantris are required for characters and plots to make sense

Edited by aneonfoxtribute