Can a Cognitive Shadow Form a Nahel Bond?

Kidpen

Question

23 answers to this question

Blightsong

Could Kelsier theoretically bond with someone on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

source

WeiryWriter

Can a person who dies but somehow hasn't passed Beyond the Three Realms (a la Kelsier) serve in place of a spren for Radiant purposes?

Brandon Sanderson

This is theoretically possible, but it would require an unusual sequence of events.

WeiryWriter

We know that the Stormfather is a Cognitive shadow and is also acting as a spren for Dalinar but is he able to do that because the "unusual sequence of events" took place or is there something else going on specific to the nature of the Stormfather?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO. :)

Carluun

If Kelsier became a "spren" for a Radiant, would he grant Surgebinding or Allomancy?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

source

4 hours ago, Vissy said:

Wait, so if the cognitive shadow has a physical body and it bonds with a Knight Radiant, acting as their spren... would that make them like a symbiotic magical powerhouse?

I feel like being bound into a physical body would prevent a spren bond like that.  No proof, that's just my gut feeling.

Whoa wait.........if you were a true cognitive shadow without a physical form, and then you bonded with a Knight's Radiant, would you get granted a physical form?  Like spren live in the cognitive realm until the bond is formed, then they are able to transition to the physical plane.

A cognitive shadow with a bond would probably have a physical form made of misty looking stuff because that seems to be the natural state of raw magic. I say this because Shardblades form from mist and Preservation’s raw power is in the form of mist. Also what remains of Preservation’s mind takes the form of a figure made of mist in mistborn.

On 4/12/2018 at 6:39 AM, Zellyia said:

I love the idea of cognitive shadow people getting bonded as spren....

"H-Hey guys, I think I bonded a spren, but he's kind of weird....He keeps saying he has a plan and I'm in his crew now."

I mean if that guy literally orders a Shard of Adonalsium (which also happens to be his creator as well) around. Why not his own Radiant lol

On ‎08‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 6:07 PM, Toaster Retribution said:

It would be cool to see Kelsier become a "spren". But in order to bond a spren, you need cracks in your soul, and I assume that Cognitive Shadows can have those cracks, since they have a soul.

But it maybe happened, I think. With Spook, in a final episode of A Secret History. It seems like Kelsier is just advisor, voice in Spook's head, but anything is possible.

I wouldn't be surprised that if anyone could bond a spren, it's Kelsier.(as I believe he is the leader of the Ghostbloods, why not bond a spren?)  Does this mean any of the cognitive shadows on Threnody, if they got through to Roshar somehow could either bond with a spren or have someone bond them? What Investiture would you even get it you bonded a Threnodite cognitive shadow?

On 4/8/2018 at 6:52 AM, king of nowhere said:

how about the opposite case? kelsier bonding a spren and getting radiant abilities?

This is a little old, but I could totally see Kelsier bonding an ashspren.

On 4/8/2018 at 5:52 AM, king of nowhere said:

how about the opposite case? kelsier bonding a spren and getting radiant abilities?

Well if he's currently bound to a body, then it's no different than any other person, really. So if the spren is willing to bond with him it'd be theoretically possible.

However, since Kelsier is spiked, that's likely to drive away a lot of the types of Radiant spren, so it's not very likely.

1 hour ago, whattheHoid said:

Do the spikes repel Radient spren because it is a 'foriegn' Investiture? Or because the spikes are of Ruin? Also, I could totally see Kelsier bonding an Ashspren. He is great at destroying/taking apart.things.

I was originally gonna say it is probably because of the foreign Investiture, but a certain scene in OB at the very end with Hoid has me questioning that. (Can't remember if OB spoilers can go in spoiler boxes here, so I'm not even gonna go into specifics). It could because of the fact that it's ripping apart spiritwebs and it just creeps the spren out.

2 hours ago, whattheHoid said:

Do the spikes repel Radient spren because it is a 'foriegn' Investiture? Or because the spikes are of Ruin? Also, I could totally see Kelsier bonding an Ashspren. He is great at destroying/taking apart.things.

I would say because the spren can sense the damage that's done to the spiritweb (getting a spike also damages you), and are repelled by it.

I wonder if we have any other example of a Worldhopper with a foreign Investiture trying to bond with a Radiant spren? I mean besides Hoid (I don't know if he did that to be clear). I mean somebody must've figured it out, it can't be impossible.

8 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

(Can't remember if OB spoilers can go in spoiler boxes here, so I'm not even gonna go into specifics)

They can.  I just asked Chaos this question last week.  

On 7/7/2018 at 0:25 PM, Chaos said:
On 7/6/2018 at 8:16 AM, Scion of the Mists said:

Are [OB] spoilers allowed in properly marked Cosmere Q&A threads?  

Yes.