[OB] Oathbringer Prologue now on Tor.com

KiManiak

And here I am patiently waiting for back-to-school day with my daughter, I thought Id have time to start sneaking at those chapters and they aren't there...

While I am here, wild speculation for chapters 1 to 3: Adolin tells someone about Sadeas. 

I had to say it before it gets up, just in case I am right.

My mind is blown :D In Canada they just use Eastern Standard Time - EST and apply daylight savings as per usual. To be honest, I'd never even heard of EDT until this thread. Now that I'm read up it makes more sense to me.

But more relevant to this thread, yes it'll be 9am EDT.

83 minutes!!!

On 8/22/2017 at 0:01 AM, zebobes said:

I think this is a much stronger prologue than the previous two, but it's probably because it has the foundation and world building of two entire books ahead of it. I found Jasnah's prologue from WOR a little strange, as the things told from her POV didn't really shed much insight on the evening. Her first attempt at soul casting, and the hiring of the assassin, while interesting, seem tangential to the main event, the assassination of Gavilar.

I think that was actually the whole point of it: while the assassination of Gavilar was "the main point," there was also other significant stuff going on at the same time, in the same place.

My theory is that Elokhar is traveling with Kal and Kal's inner circle to Hearthstone, partly because that is the only way he'll feel safe (we know so little of the Diagram and a full-shardbearer high prince was just murdered in the depths of the tower) but also partly to study leadership from Kal. Kaladin reluctantly consents as when Rhenarin joined bridge 4. When they return, Elokhar is far better prepared to lead selflessly and earn his people's love and respect, but Dalinar finds it a struggle to entrust the de facto power back to Elokhar.

I have not read any portion of the book besides the prologue. Pardon spelling mistakes. I've only done the Audible versions of the books.

Storming hell. Just got back from the school: I accidentally locked myself outside the house. I managed to climb through a window and guess what? THE CHAPTERS ARE NOT EVEN OUT YET??? 

*sigh*

I have to get to work now. Lunch time it is then.

• Chaos unpinned this topic

Sorry if I missed it, (lot pages on this thread already), but in the WoK prologue, Gavilar gives a stone to Szeth, which seems like the same type of stone that he gives to Eshonai. Did I miss something? Or was Gavilar just handing out these stones to everyone? I assumed he only had one.

3 minutes ago, Lavitz said:

Sorry if I missed it, (lot pages on this thread already), but in the WoK prologue, Gavilar gives a stone to Szeth, which seems like the same type of stone that he gives to Eshonai. Did I miss something? Or was Gavilar just handing out these stones to everyone? I assumed he only had one.

You are not mistaken, he does give a stone of similar description, not identical, to Szeth in WoK.

On 8/24/2017 at 0:31 PM, Stark said:

It is mentioned in both Szeth and Eshonai's interludes - they threw it away when they left the city while Szeth was killing.  He had to wander the roads outside the city to find it, then stand on the side of the road with it until someone passed and offer it to them.

They didn't keep it or stick around to see if he succeeded, and he had to find a new master because they abandoned him.

It's also been noted throughout this thread that in the original release of the prologue he said something along the lines of "Here, take this, I have another" to Eshonai but that piece was removed in the final version.

This chapter made me like Eshonai and give a darn about Gavilar......so there is something.

I much prefer Eshonai without the burdens of her entire people bearing her down.

Kaladin and Dalinar already did the chains of commanding struggle so there was nothing new that Sanderson could add through Eshonai.

And Gavilar as some mad conspirator who wants to bring the world to war? Yes please.

On 8/22/2017 at 8:50 AM, Ciridae said:

On the dark sphere, interesting that it is slightly violet. So far I've associated red with Odium, because of the red Listener eyes of stormform, but I've always wondered if the colors of the three moons were symbolic for the shards. Blue, green and violet could correspond to Honor Cultivation and Odium respectively. 

So the dark sphere seems to hold Odium's investiture. It could be the equivalent to stormlight, which is arguably the simplest explanation, but I wonder if it could instead be some kind of key to the ancient spren's prison. Do we have any idea if or how a spren in a regular fabrial can be released without breaking the gemstone? Gavilar says he's seen it done. And what constitutes a special gemstone to hold a god? Big spren=big gemstone? So many questions..

I like that Venli was mentioned, I hope we get her pov eventually. 

Aren't Venli's eye's violet?

I really like your idea that the three moons are symbolic for the shards.  It makes complete sense to me.  I already wanted to look / highlight colors & numbers on my next re-read, but now I am even more excited about it.  Eye color.  So does that mean than Venli is being influenced by Odium?  That when Kaladin has stormlight that Honor's power is with him because his eyes turn blue.  Shallan has green eyes.  So she is of Cultivation? And what about Kalami -- the thin, orange-eyed woman that was a senior scribe that you @Ciridae recently brought up in the below post.  Did you ever find find out if there is anyone else with Orange eyes? Is there an orange moon missing?  :)  Or is Kalami a world-hopper?

All the light-eyes have a color to them.  I think all the dark-eyes are just dark -- void of any color -- but I am not completely sure on that.  So are light-eyes, more susceptible to the influence of the Shard that is linked to their corresponding eye color?  This idea just opened up a lot of possibilities. 

Anyone out there able to offer more support or refute this connection theory?

On 8/29/2017 at 7:37 AM, Ciridae said:

Hmmmm red eyed champion...

So listener or voidbonded human? Or is it metaphorical? Everything very exciting, I was worried the Stormfather would stop sending visions for some reason.

Also have we ever seen an orange-eyed lighteye before?

Excited for Serbarial's new job. Aladar in charge of any potential trial of Sadeas' murder hmm hmm

4 minutes ago, JoyBlu said:

All the light-eyes have a color to them.  I think all the dark-eyes are just dark -- void of any color -- but I am not completely sure on that.  So are light-eyes, more susceptible to the influence of the Shard that is linked to their corresponding eye color?  This idea just opened up a lot of possibilities. 

There is something darkening the eyes of people on Roshar that a connection to a live spren temporarily bypasses, and a bond to dead spren somehow removes on the spiritual level. 

Dunny's eyes were super dark violet. There's also been green seen if I remember correctly. Dark eyes are just so dark the color is indistinguishable unless the light hits them correctly. 

@Calderis  Fascinating insight on the dark eyes.

We just searched WoK for the word orange, and it had about 45 instances. Mostly about wine, fire / light, and clothing.  Mr T was wearing an orange robe.

I don't have a digital copy of WoR.  Maybe its time to get one. (But I already own 2 hard-copies, and the audio-book.) I wish there was a bundle I could buy that had all three together.

2 minutes ago, JoyBlu said:

@Calderis  Fascinating insight on the dark eyes.

We just searched WoK for the word orange, and it had about 45 instances. Mostly about wine, fire / light, and clothing.  Mr T was wearing an orange robe.

I don't have a digital copy of WoR.  Maybe its time to get one. (But I already own 2 hard-copies, and the audio-book.) I wish there was a bundle I could buy that had all three together.

The eye colors are tied to the blades themselves. So each lighteyes eye color originates from the alteration of sDNA from whoever in their bloodline first picked up a blade and gained that particular type. 

Moash's eyes turned tan, so his Blade was most likely a Stoneward Spren. Blue would be Windrunner, red could be Dustbringer or Lightweaver. Is Heliodor orange? And which order is it associated with? 

Anyways, my point is that any eye color that can be tied to the gemstones associated with each order should be a natural result of the phenomenon that creates lighteyes from deadblades.