Read previous games, if you have a lot of time. I promise not to kill you on your first cycle. I'm sure you'll RP fine. 

The trouble with that is that (apart from the time investment), a lot of the actual game seems to take place in PMs. The docs are on record, and those have helped me to understand how the game is played, but generally only from a Mafia perspective. Most of the actual posts seem to be entirely RP, which is nice, and fun to read, but not altogether informative.

Also, there are... a few more rules this go 'round than usual :). How much of that should I have down before the game begins?

All newbies, meet in the upper left cave for a party. And welcome, all of you! It was only a few games back that I had my first one... ah, nostalgia. I would advise keeping a spreadsheet of stuff you know. While not as vital here as in MR5, it still will be useful, particularly since this is a long game and if you are a seeker/tineye/windwhisper.

Edited by phattemer

Question, If you want to look for an item and you don't want to be in the same room as another person can you say [search for item in A2, if any one is in A2 move to A3] would that take two action periods or one?

Moving to another room takes an action period.  So if you wanted to move to another room and then search for an item, it would take at least two action periods.  

Edited by Newan

After deliberation, I am sad to say I will be sitting out of this game. :( I must give many kudos, props, and upvotes to Newan and Aonar for coming up with this masterpiece though! This game really does look spectacular! It's just that I've been not nearly as active as I'd like to have been in the last few games (and current!) I've been in, so I know I won't be able to give the time dedication to this game that it deserves! (I might consider joining the Spectator Doc and Mistwraith it up though after awhile....) ;)

I'll make sure to Spike you into the Game just for the Chaos and Paranoia it'll cause.

That's one less bogeyman to watch out for. Wonder where Wyrm is...  :ph34r: 

All newbies, meet in the upper left cave for a party. And welcome, all of you! It was only a few games back that I had my first one... ah, nostalgia. I would advise keeping a spreadsheet of stuff you know. While not as vital here as in MR5, it still will be useful, particularly since this is a long game and if you are a seeker/tineye/windwhisper.

This sounds uncomfortably like a trap to me... I may be new to this particular game, but I've played deception-based games like Mafia in person before (in fact, The Resistance is among my favorite tabletop games). There may be a huge difference between playing online and playing in person, but I'm pretty sure the twitchy, paranoid, half-crazed instinct to trust no one is still valid. If anything, the extended time for plotting and discussion, the much larger player base, and the potential for exclusive communication (PMs and docs) should allow for an even more terrifying web of intrigue.

Thanks for your advice -- I will absolutely be recording information like you recommend -- but I may have to decline your party invitation.

I've noticed a few people have included white text in their posts. In general, does information communicated this way tend to be important? So far, I think it's all been just for fun, but then, so far, no one has any secret information to share. Should I be highlighting every post I read, just in case?

Also, it occurred to me that whenever someone is drawn in mid-game, every single person playing is going to know as a matter of course that that player is a kandra. Is this intentional?

Excellent instincts, youngling. I was merely attempting to cull the weak before they drag me down with them. No, not actually. I just saiid that for no reason. Probably carry-over fromQF6, when each room had a PM. Re the white text: it might be, but almost certainly not becuse ots kind obvious. With the kandra, if one te got an extra player ualfway through, it would be kinda unfair. So they really havr to be a kandra also the mechanics make it so with Blessings.

This sounds uncomfortably like a trap to me... I may be new to this particular game, but I've played deception-based games like Mafia in person before (in fact, The Resistance is among my favorite tabletop games). There may be a huge difference between playing online and playing in person, but I'm pretty sure the twitchy, paranoid, half-crazed instinct to trust no one is still valid. If anything, the extended time for plotting and discussion, the much larger player base, and the potential for exclusive communication (PMs and docs) should allow for an even more terrifying web of intrigue.

Thanks for your advice -- I will absolutely be recording information like you recommend -- but I may have to decline your party invitation.

I've noticed a few people have included white text in their posts. In general, does information communicated this way tend to be important? So far, I think it's all been just for fun, but then, so far, no one has any secret information to share. Should I be highlighting every post I read, just in case?

Also, it occurred to me that whenever someone is drawn in mid-game, every single person playing is going to know as a matter of course that that player is a kandra. Is this intentional?

Ah Gamma's patented ParanoiaTM is hard at work even when Gamma's not in the game...  :P