Brandon Sanderson AMA 2015

Windrunner

[–]Yourigath

Hi!

First of all, thank you. For your work. Your interaction with the fans. Everything.

Now... Cosmere question. I've been thinking about how some investitures seem more realted to one place (AonDor) while others are less limited (you can bring metals to Roshar an use Allomancy there). That made me think about...

Can you acces the Dor while on other plantes? Can you, I don't know, "tell the Dor" that you are on Roshar using an Aon that doesn't have the base on the map of Sel but in the world of Roshar and use Elantrian magic there? An Aon with an spiral pattern with the right lines, dots, etc... that tells the Dor "I'm here. This is Roshar. And I need your power to do X"

mistborn[S]

Great question, and one integral to the workings of cosmere Magic! No, you cannot currently access the Dor anywhere else. The Dor is a big part of why magic on Sel is distinctive.

so does this mean if they set a glamour or changed their appearance  it would be nullified if they went off world ?

If anything drives me insane, it's going to be that - we open the first book with the Heralds, and then just as the hype train slows down a bit, BAM, (alleged) Talenelat'Elin, the Stonesinew, Herald of the Almighty.

AMEN!  Not to mention Brandon's unusual coyness with respect to whether that really was a herald after all...

Q:Hey Mr. Sanderson! I just recently purchased tickets to see you at the closing ceremony in Charleston this November! 

Anyway, I was wondering how Talenel'Elin is able to speak perfect Alethi without much of an accent at all. I believe Dalinar thought that it was a Northern Alethi accent. He is able to speak perfect Alethi after coming back from Damnation being seemingly isolated for 4500 years. Knowing what we know about language development in the real world over time, wouldn't the Alethi language change as well as to be almost incomprehensible?

If he is not isolated, I supposed that would venture into RAFO territory.

A:The language has indeed changed drastically. 

So...RAFO.

Source

Q: 

What is your favourite breed of Dog? Mine is a Begal

A:

I'm partial to huskies and collies.

Source

If anything drives me insane, it's going to be that - we open the first book with the Heralds, and then just as the hype train slows down a bit, BAM, (alleged) Talenelat'Elin, the Stonesinew, Herald of the Almighty.

I wasn't even sure if it would get RAFO'd or not. It was more for clarification as there is lots of...vaguey vagueness (Their native/ethnicity, their hazy mentions/appearances, Honourblade appearance/physical form, power sets and capabilities etc.etc.etc.) What kills me the most is that there is so long between the back five books and well...now  :(

Their ethnicity/native-ness, as well as general physical appearance, has always been RAFO'd and something in a previous topic got me thinking about one of Dalinar's visions (trying to find exact passage but Tanavast says something along the lines of having 'made' the Heralds, which had me thinking that it meant he had either created them from scratch [making them strong Splinters], or pardon relevant jewel/gem analogy, took a rough model and cut into the right shape [something more than a Splinter but far less than a Sliver, perhaps Returned level])

*Aluminum-foil hat*

I know all things eye-colour related is essentially speculation with the little info we do have, but has been it confirmed/stated that the Heralds eyes - pre-broken Oathpact - were still brighteyed without holding their blades? As if the former case of Honour literally crafting the Heralds could even be remotely true, I was thinking perhaps the associated gem is in part what they are made of. *Aluminum-foil hat* 

Edited by ParadoxSpren

Q:Is is theoretically possible for someone to Awaken a set of chess pieces to play chess better than they themselves could?

A:

Theoretically? Hm. I can think of theories that would make that happen, so technically, yes.

Q:We know that grey, green, blue and red Rithmatist coats represent the different ranks of professors. Near the end of The Rithmatist, you mention that one of Melody's brothers, who isn't a professor, also has a coat. Do the colors of Rithmatist coats have meaning outside of academia?

A:Yes, they do! Those at Nebrask also pay attention to coat colors.

1. Could a filled (fully feruchemical charge) metalmind block a Shardblade (or at least, resist a bit)?

2. If a Ferring creates a metalmind and then loses his power (for example through Hemalurgy), could he still use his previous-made metalmind ?

3. Is the way to unlock Feruchemy to have the same amount of ruin and preservation investiture (or at least a quite balance in them) ? If the answer is Yes, could a Scadrial Human unlock it by ingest tiny piece of Atium ?

1. Yes, it could. Excellent question.
  2. No, he could not. And, unfortunately, the person who stole a bit of his soul would probably be keyed with enough Identity to use his metalmind. :( (This is uncertain, though, based on how much of the soul got ripped off, and how much the spike has decayed.)
  3. RAFO.

(Not a pro at formatting.....)

What did you want to know from the second?

If a Metalmind could be used by a not Feruchemist with the right Identity. So if you need the power to access metalmind, or just to create it.

Unlucky the only way we know to lose Feruchemical powers is through Hemalurgy, but Hemalurgy steal also piece of Identity.

Well we know that Augor's could compound out of a goldmind if the metalmind's owner messed with Identity the right way, so there's that support for, at the very least, "unlocking" the metalmind itself doing the trick.

That plus the knowledge that there's some way to have non-powered people access metalminds suggests that you don't need power (or Feruchemy, at the very least) to access metalminds.

Edited by Kurkistan

Well we know that Augor's could compound out of a goldmind if the metalmind's owner messed with Identity the right way, so there's that support for, at the very least, "unlocking" the metalmind itself doing the trick.

That plus the knowledge that there's some way to have non-powered people access metalminds suggests that you don't need power (or Feruchemy, at the very least) to access metalminds.

Thanks it is exactly what I want to know !

You have also destroyed a my theory on "shared metalmind", but it happens ;-)

Q: 

I don't suppose you'll get to many new comments, but I just wanted to say thanks. For giving us the ending to the WoT that Mr. Jordan would have been proud of, and for inviting us into your new worlds.

Also, what is going on in this chart? Is it all RAFO, or can you hint at anything? 

A: 

That's...I'm sorry, that's a RAFO. But thank you for reading! Answers are coming.

Source

At this point the AMA is just ridiculous. I am half convinced Brandon will do another one in, say, 2017, and this one will be active not only until the new one comes up, but after. Yeah, that sounds about right.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/cuu82l4?context=10000

Q: If you could be a ferring, which metal would you most like to be?

A: Hm... Probably steel.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/cuu819t?context=10000

Q: Thanks! Any [coat] colors I should aim for or avoid if I'm making a coat to cosplay an older Melody then?

A: Hmm. Older? Just stay away from professor colors, and you should be all right.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/cuu80xz?context=10000

Q: If a feruchemist gets turned into a koloss, they'd retain their Identity and could still use metalminds, right? Could they 'back up' their mental abilities in various metalminds before the spikes were inserted, and load them once the transformation completed?

A: Interesting theory.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/cuu809a?context=10000

Q: The stars Vin sees from Scadrial are the same as the stars as can be seen on Thredony, yes? Would Taln's Scar or the Tear from Roshar also be visible from other Cosmere worlds?

A: Yes. But remember that on Scadrial, stars weren't an oft-seen feature in the original trilogy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/cuu7zr1?context=10000

Q: Did Ruin and Preservation create the humans on worlds besides Scadrial?

A: Excellent question! No, they did not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/cuu7zlb?context=10000

Q: First of all, what is the structure of the Cosmere like? i.e. What planets are in which systems orbiting what stars in what galaxy.

A: We'll produce a map of this eventually. Right not, it's not terribly relevant. (Though in books, you can occasionally pick out some cosmological feature seen from different planets.) The stars are very close on a galactic scale--part of a dwarf galaxy.
Q: Second, you said that their are ten major Shardworlds. Are Threnody and First of the Sun (planets without shards) part of those ten? What other Shardworlds we know about are not part of the ten?
A: I don't know if I've said specifically, but I think I've implied that neither one are major worlds for the storytelling narrative. (Though Threnody is more important by far.) I believe that I've mentioned the others all being major factors in the story.
Q: Third, what non-worldhopper character we've seen so far is the most cosmere-savy?
A: Frost or Sazed, most likely.
Q: Fourth, what kind of Hemalurgic charge does Wax's earring have? is it the same as all of the other Path earrings?
A: RAFO. :)

Q: We have a guild name <Bridge Four> in WoW and we were wondering what the appropriate colors would be for us?

A: Blue and white, most likely. (Dalinar's colors.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/cuu7xdx?context=10000

Q: I was re-reading the Mistborn series and thinking my way through the cosmere connections (particularly how Ruin and Preservation created mankind based on the humans they'd seen before), when a question occurred to me:

Were all the original shardholders human?
A: RAFO. (There are multiple humanoid races on Yolen.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/cuu7w0c?context=10000

Q: In the middle of [The Well of Ascension], after Vin has confronted Dox to try and figure out if he's the kandra spy, OroSeur says that blowing a kandra's cover is "never an easy task." However, given that kandra are immune to soothing/rioting, wouldn't it be as easy as to ask the person to raise their hand when they feel it, and lower it when they don't, then riot them with a flare on > off > on > off, with varying durations?

I may have forgotten if kandra can sense allomancy, been a while since my first read, in which case I'll have to RAFO, but thus far this seems like a simple, foolproof way to find the impostor, as the kandra wouldn't feel the effects of the rioting, thus failing to match the rhythm.
A: This is a tricky solution, and quite clever, but once you reach Hero of Ages you'll find the reason why this wouldn't work. (It involves what Kandra feel when someone tries to use emotional Allomancy on them.)

At this point the AMA is just ridiculous. I am half convinced Brandon will do another one in, say, 2017, and this one will be active not only until the new one comes up, but after. Yeah, that sounds about right.

Argent, due to correlations obviously being causation...your most recent remarks  have killed the AMA!

There are no reply links anymore to any posts and the box to write a new question to Brandon is gone. Did Brandon finally decide to end his 6 month AMA?

Edited by Titan Arum

Argent, due to correlations obviously being causation...your most recent remarks  have killed the AMA!

There are no reply links anymore to any posts and the box to write a new question to Brandon is gone. Did Brandon finally decide to end his 6 month AMA?

The "reply" box is gone on mine... is it over? Did I get the final reply ever in this months-long AMA?

Yeah I guess reddit archives(i.e. removing the reply box) threads after 6 months?  At least that is the explanation I'm finding.