Potential worldhopper

Lesser spren

10 hours ago, Lesser spren said:

I was wondering since Marasi didn't join the Ghostbloods, if she will find her own way into the cosmere. What do you guys think?

I think that the era of individual worldhoppers as we know it is coming to an end. Too many worlds have too much of a mass media, too unified a government and too ovious an alien influence to ignore the rest of the Cosmere as a topic for at least the general political elite. As soon as your queen's lover is a space alien from the dawn of time or aliens detonate a nuclear weapon in your extended harbor, it is time for some Lewis & Clarke style expeditions and diplomatic missions.

On 21/11/2022 at 10:17 AM, Oltux72 said:

I think that the era of individual worldhoppers as we know it is coming to an end. Too many worlds have too much of a mass media, too unified a government and too ovious an alien influence to ignore the rest of the Cosmere as a topic for at least the general political elite. As soon as your queen's lover is a space alien from the dawn of time or aliens detonate a nuclear weapon in your extended harbor, it is time for some Lewis & Clarke style expeditions and diplomatic missions.

There appears to be a change from random individuals going out into the world, either to escape or just explore. Vasher, Lighthouse keeper or Felt. 

To people with ties to shards, governments or rulers. MeLaan, Kaise, TwinSoul (he seems to be important on his home world) 

Obvioulsy these are two ghostbloods and one kandra, so it’s not a pattern yet, but this can only grow with Roshar and Scadrial heading towards a greater cosmere understanding. Sixth of the dusk shows this.

This could just be Brandon expanding, his gloves are off statement seems to indicate this. But it can only get more diplomatic as it grows. 

7 hours ago, Michael Portz said:

Don’t forget the 17th shard with Demoux etc

Yes, but there is a crucial difference. They do not publish publically available reports.

But can you imagine the events of TLM trigger a debate in and some action by the Elendel senate? People react to getting flooded and almost being blown away. Learning about those outworldly things is now a matter of survival. They'll appoint somebody who will in turn have to justify expenses.

I think that she probably will worldhop, though I think it's likely that she'll spend most or all of her time on or near Scadrial. She's pretty committed to her "serving the public" role, so I doubt she'll abandon the people of the Basin (or Scadrial more broadly). But after the events of Lost Metal it's clear that that role requires a higher-level perspective which incorporates the Cosmere. If nothing else she'll end up doing something like heading a division within Scadrial's governments that deals with offworld affairs and monitoring and policing worldhoppers. Her age, plus the timeskip we'll have between Lost Metal and the next book may keep her from being an active field agent during the events of the books, but she can still set up and organize a lot which will be relevant later on.

I think that we're past the point of radical transparency. Marasi likes to color inside the lines, but she also has participated in lots of secret operations and dealt with important information which she doesn't distribute to the public directly. I think she'll end up working within a legal structure, like the Elendel constabulary but on a planetary scale, and will end up steeped in secrets (some of which she'll share within that structure, and others of which she'll be compelled to keep quiet).

2 hours ago, Returned said:

I think that she probably will worldhop, though I think it's likely that she'll spend most or all of her time on or near Scadrial. She's pretty committed to her "serving the public" role, so I doubt she'll abandon the people of the Basin (or Scadrial more broadly). But after the events of Lost Metal it's clear that that role requires a higher-level perspective which incorporates the Cosmere. If nothing else she'll end up doing something like heading a division within Scadrial's governments that deals with offworld affairs and monitoring and policing worldhoppers. Her age, plus the timeskip we'll have between Lost Metal and the next book may keep her from being an active field agent during the events of the books, but she can still set up and organize a lot which will be relevant later on.

I think that we're past the point of radical transparency. Marasi likes to color inside the lines, but she also has participated in lots of secret operations and dealt with important information which she doesn't distribute to the public directly. I think she'll end up working within a legal structure, like the Elendel constabulary but on a planetary scale, and will end up steeped in secrets (some of which she'll share within that structure, and others of which she'll be compelled to keep quiet).

That makes it sound like Marasi will basically be forming the North's version of the CIA.

19 hours ago, kenod said:

That makes it sound like Marasi will basically be forming the North's version of the CIA.

I'd read that book!

4 hours ago, Inkspren_K said:

What's the time gap to era 3? Could Marasi be a governor/leader on Scadrial in that era? 

@Ati16 gave the right approximate timeline, so it seems unlikely that she would be. Marasi's abilities as a Pulser might give her enough extra time to make that work. But my bet is that she'll be like Spook-- a hugely consequential social and political figure whose influence extends far into the future, but not one whose influential period is shown while it's happening in the books.

Edited by Returned

2 hours ago, kenod said:

What do you think the odds are that at least one of the protagonists is from a branch of law-enforcement Marasi and maybe Wax funded/started?

IMHO, it is entirely possible that a protagonist's arc may start with a serial killer hunt. which then morphs into an international thriller and culminates in "Men in Black" style shenangians with aliens and deities:). With said MiB-likes having been founded by the heroes of the Era 2. Though I really hope that we have at least 5 more or less balanced PoVs in the Era 3 trilogy and at least one of them is Southern Scadrian. I can't wait to get a real feel for their societies, after the intriguing crumbs from BoM!