Extesian

Poland - Warsaw and Krakow events 18/21 March

138 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I thought I'd start an event thread for the two events in Poland Brandon is doing in a few weeks. First is in Warsaw 18 March at 12pm at the Empik Junior BookstoreUl. Marszałkowska 116 / 122, Warsaw, Poland.

Second in beautiful Krakow at 5pm on the 21 March, at Empik Bonarka Bookstore, Ul. Kamieńskiego 11, Kraków, Poland.

Both have a reading, Q&A and signing and given the wealth of information in recent events there could be some good stuff. Also I'm guessing as there are probably fewer Sharders in Poland (though I know of a few) there may be the chance for more detailed questions.

I'm happy to do transcriptions if anyone is lucky enough to be attending and records either event.  

edit: I've just been informed that the Krakow signing is now at 5pm today (21 March)

Edit - so a partially completed transcript of the Krakow signing is here and the audio kindly supplied by @swieczq is here. Feel free to update the transcript but I will finish it soon.

Edited by Extesian

I'll attend the Kraków signing, but i'm not sure if i have any decent recorder, i'll have to check.

How does it look like during such events? Are the listeners allowed to leave recording devices on some kind of table near mr. Sanderson?

@swieczq Yeah, if you check with him before the event starts he'll usually let you leave a phone or a camera on the table, for both signings and Q&As.

I'm definitely going to the Warsaw signing. My phone has a recording app and a pretty decent range on the microphone, so I'm okay with leaving it on the table to record everything. And if there's going to be a moderator present to translate for people who don't speak English well, the problem with the asker being too far away might be alleviated.

I've never been to any meeting with an author, though, so two newbie questions: is there anything I should know? How do those events look like, actually?

Brilliant, should at least be one person able to record at each event! I've never been lucky enough to go to one myself, I was living in Prague when he was in Australia and now I'm in Australia when he's in Europe :( But I understand they're pretty relaxed and Brandon is usually cool with recordings if you ask. And hopefully some extra questions for people if the attendance isn't as large as in the States? But maybe I'm underestimating his fan base there.

I'll be at the Warsaw one. I can try to record it with my phone, but the quality might be not that good. I guess @Oversleepcan tell us more about organization of those events :)

1 hour ago, Mestiv said:

I'll be at the Warsaw one. I can try to record it with my phone, but the quality might be not that good. I guess @Oversleepcan tell us more about organization of those events :)

As of right now I have no inside knowledge, sorry :)

We will probably have something to record the Saturday event but if you have a recorder or something of the sort, please bring it - better safe than sorry and better doubly safe than safe.

I'll be wearing T-Shirt with cosmere symbol if anyone wants to say hi :)

The FB event has 80 people "going" and another 30 "interested" - I don't know how will that translate into real numbers. We made a Google document for the questions so people without their own can pick one. I'll post it tomorrow (today... in 20 hours).

Still no inside info :<

There is someone without questions?

I Will be honored to help :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Oversleep said:

I'll be wearing T-Shirt with cosmere symbol if anyone wants to say hi :)

I'd be happy to get to know some sharders IRL, but I'll only attend Kraków meeting, is anyone from the forum going there?

It seems that there will be much less people in Kraków - fb says 28 will attend and 16 are interested :wacko:

3 hours ago, Yata said:

There is someone without questions?

I Will be honored to help :rolleyes:

I'll probably take my friend with me, if he'll need help with this, I'll let You know :)

I'll be in Warsaw, with a phone with a recorder. The person in the sheep-designed Urithiru Knights T-Shirt.

Can someone tell me how many questions we're allowed to ask at the signing line? There is a limit, right?

1 hour ago, Rasarr said:

I'll be in Warsaw, with a phone with a recorder. The person in the sheep-designed Urithiru Knights T-Shirt.

Can someone tell me how many questions we're allowed to ask at the signing line? There is a limit, right?

You can normally ask as many as you can squeeze in while he's signing in your books. I'd recommend you take a bunch, and start with your favourites. He'll stop you when you're out of time (or say "last one" or something like that).

Oh guys you wouldn't believe what happened during the interview. I managed to ask some juicy questions (I got RAFO'd twice and the event hasn't even started, beat that) and then...

... then it got weird. See, I started to ask some questions, he answered, I went with follow ups and in the heat of the moment he went "you will see [REDACTED] at the end of the Stormlight but cosmere will end differently, it will be [REDACTED]". Then he realized what he just said. We were sitting there with our jaws literally dropped. Of course he asked us to keep silent about what he revealed and we of course agreed not to say anything... but it's gonna be awesome, I can tell you that.

The rest of the interview is free to be posted, we will get around to that soon.

27 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Oh guys you wouldn't believe what happened during the interview. I managed to ask some juicy questions (I got RAFO'd twice and the event hasn't even started, beat that) and then...

... then it got weird. See, I started to ask some questions, he answered, I went with follow ups and in the heat of the moment he went "you will see [REDACTED] at the end of the Stormlight but cosmere will end differently, it will be [REDACTED]". Then he realized what he just said. We were sitting there with our jaws literally dropped. Of course he asked us to keep silent about what he revealed and we of course agreed not to say anything... but it's gonna be awesome, I can tell you that.

The rest of the interview is free to be posted, we will get around to that soon.

Im irrationally jeleous.

Any highlights from the questions you can share?

Edited by Blightsong

Just now, Blightsong said:

Im irrationally jeleous.

Yeah, irrationaly is the good word. I just got spoiled, the entire series, by the author himself. I'd be angry if that wasn't so awesome.

6 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Yeah, irrationaly is the good word. I just got spoiled, the entire series, by the author himself. I'd be angry if that wasn't so awesome.

You responded quickly so you probably didnt catch my edit. Were there any other WoB highlights that you can share briefly?

Thanks, @Khyrindor ^_^ 

@Oversleep, I admit I'm not jealous. I do not want to know how the Cosmere ends. But holy crap, you must have some crazy brain-mining powers that Brandon just up and told you the endgame without even intending to.

45 minutes ago, Blightsong said:

You responded quickly so you probably didnt catch my edit. Were there any other WoB highlights that you can share briefly?

I asked a ton. I can barely remember what I did ask. I was very excited so my memory is hazy.

I got RAFO'd when I asked about the Shard which didn't Invest, the one floating in the space, the one that just wants to hide+survive (I'm not really sure that we know all these things apply to the same Shard).

hm... I asked about technological progress on other worlds than Scadrial:
Taldain was progressing technologically... but then Autonomy did the isolation thing and it stopped.
Roshar is headed towards magicpunk since they've got a ton of Investiture flying around.

I asked about AI/sentient machines in cosmere... but without the recording on hand I don't want to feed you mistruths.

I asked a lot about AonDor - turns out you could write a higher-level programming language with that. I think he said there is a way to make functions (so object oriented programming). I asked about going deeper to access the assembler and he said that there are things we don't know about Sel yet and why magic works that way but my impression was he said he'll dig into it eventually.

I took a shot at the Terriswoman in Warbreaker, he asked what do we think and I said one of the nurses. He didn't confirm but said something like that I shouldn't be able to make that guess and was surprised I did. I think he said that we will eventually figure this out/we'll get to know her.

We asked about films, Brandon said that he'd want to do cameos where he dies every time. Like ultimate Redshirt.

Oh, and he said my shirt was awesome. I agreed.
And I may have left my printed list of questions in his room.

Edited by Oversleep

2 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I took a shot at the Terriswoman in Warbreaker, he asked what do we think and I said one of the nurses. He didn't confirm but said something like that I shouldn't be able to make that guess and was surprised I did. I think he said that we will eventually figure this out/we'll get to know her.

It appears that he's doesn't recall my own suspicions on the matter. Is it unreasonable for us to expect him to remember every answer and RAFO for years running? ... Probably not. :|

8 minutes ago, Kurkistan said:

It appears that he's doesn't recall my own suspicions on the matter. Is it unreasonable for us to expect him to remember every answer and RAFO for years running? ... Probably not. :|

He's probably running out of place in his copperminds by now :P

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

hm... I asked about technological progress on other worlds than Scadrial:
Roshar is headed towards magicpunk since they've got a ton of Investiture flying around.

I asked a lot about AonDor - turns out you could write a higher-level programming language with that. I think he said there is a way to make functions (so object oriented programming). I asked about going deeper to access the assembler and he said that there are things we don't know about Sel yet and why magic works that way but my impression was he said he'll dig into it eventually.

Magicpunk? Not sure if I should feel hopeful or worried.

As for AonDor, this section will be of great interest to me. A lot of my more practical applications (several were based on my guesses about what certain Aons did) would require some aspect of programs like time delays, on/off switches and setting size/space limits to effects. I'll wait for the transcript to see what is fully official, but since you could make a whole programming language from it, I feel many of my ideas could be confirmed by process of experimentation now.

People could probably create an Aonic Subreddit in r/ProgrammingHorror from the trial and error involved in making the language. :D

Edited by The One Who Connects

So, the signing is still ongoing and it's super fun, but I figured I'll share what I've managed to ask before my memory evaporates.

Q: Is Khriss on Roshar during SA?
A: That's aaaa... RAFO.

Q: On Oathbringer cover, Jasnah seems to be flying, but she never had flying ability before...
A: She doeasn't actually fly in the scene, that's Michael's invention.

Q: Could a Seeker detect a Shardbearer? For example, could Vin detect Adolin's Shardblade?
A: Well, Seekers detect kinetic Investiture, Investiture that's being used, so when the Blade is summoned, you'd get a blip, but otherwise, no.

Q: If you took a Parshendi... If a Parshendi was born beyond Roshar and never visited it, could they sense the Rythms?
A: You mean Rosharan...
Q: I mean, just generally Rythms.
A: Well, Rythms are... it's something that permeates the Cosmere, and just manifests in a different way on Roshar.
Q: Oh, so is it the same thing that Soothers and Rioters are using?
A: Well, now you're straying into RAFO territory...

So... nothing particularly juicy, I suppose. Also, @sheep! Your Urithiru Knights design on my shirt has been noticed and praised!

Edited by Rasarr

Well the explaination on Seeking and Kinetic Investiture is Indeed really important to me :)

Oh I cannot wait to hear more on this one, even a redacted transcript, this sounds amazing. I will just be trying to expunge from my mind the idea that this story's end is known. @Oversleep I envy you but i think I'm glad I'm not you. But..amazing.

I come bearing more WoBs! The event is over now, and it was absolutely awesome. The public Q&A was great - literally the first question from the audience concerned itself with spiking Parshendi to let them swap between forms quickly :lol: (RAFO on that, because the mechanisms involved might spoil Oathbringer). I've got a recording of the public Q&A - I'll put the link here, and get a transcription file started soon. I have some problems with playing the file from GoogleDrive, so please let me know if you can.

I've stayed until the end and chatted with the fellow Sanderfans, so we shared some answers. I don't remember everything I've heard, but @Oversleep has been standing by the signing table, noting down all the interesting answers from the line, so expect full version soon. What I've got so far is, paraphrased:

Q: What happened to Vivienna?
A: She's looking for Vasher. Keep your eyes wide open when reading Oathbringer.

Q: Will Kaladin and Shallan get together? 
A: There will be Shalladin moments in Oathbringer.

Q: Will we see Hoid in White Sand?
A: Hoid will become more apparent as White Sand goes on.

Q: Can you slatrify sand into other liquids?
A: *thinks a moment* I admit that slatrification is one aspect of Sand Mastery I'm the least fond of, because it doesn't mesh well with the rest of Cosmere magic. The comicbook writers are working with my original script, with very minor changes, but if we ever release White Sand in print - which we might do - I might end up changing it. So - I won't answer that, because I'm not yet sure if slatifying into water is possible. *laughs* You can think of the comic as sort of in-universe story about those characters, then.

Q: Who would you ask to finish the Cosmere if you were unable to?
A: Brian McClellan. He's one of my students and he also writes epic fantasy.

Q: Whatever happened to those changed Parshmen at the end of the Edgedancer?
A: I deliberately left that out, because it will come into play in Oathbringer.

Q: Are there animals in the Cognitive Realm?
A: Yes, but we wouldn't necessarily call them animals.

Q: If a Leecher was holding a Shardbearer and burning aluminum, would the Shardbearer be able to summon their Blade?
A: No.

Q: Why don't Daysiders have darker skin? 
A: It's just how genetics on Taldain have played out. They should be darker-skinned, but there's always some randomness to genetics, so this is just how they played out in this case.

The people who stayed at the end of the signing chatted with Brandon for a moment. He'll apparently appear at Warsaw Book Fair at some point in the near future, and he's not sure yet if he'll go to Helsinki WorldCon, because of his Oathbringer obligation. He'll be in Great Britain as part of his Oathbringer tour.

And the people who stayed by the end got adorable Syl stickers! 

WP_20170318_002.jpg

Edited by Rasarr