Long Game 49/Anonymous Game 3: Window to the Past

little wilson

6 minutes ago, SE_Venli said:

"Who advises him? I don't understand how you can trust him if he isn't checked"

"Brightlady Venli, your confusion in trust is completely understandable.  Some never do trust the royalty.  However, trust usually comes with the kings actions.  If the king works for, and successfully helps his people, they tend to trust him more.  If he is corrupt and spends his energy on his advisers rather than his people, his advisers will trust him more at the cost of the people.
It is a rather fine line to walk.  And I admit, Gavilar is not the worst king in history..."

I had forgotten about the reality of chull scat. Not that it made the chaos they were causing any less entertaining, but I hadn't counted on them leaving droppings behind. Sure enough, one of them had also gotten to the salad bar. The chulls certainly had made this whole night infinitely more entertaining. Now, what next? I couldn't just call a bunch of chulls my closing number. I would have to come up with something even more dramatic. 
Thankfully, with the arrival of some of the last members of the party, there were even more people to insult. Although that probably wouldn't do for Renarin, he was not the kind of person that I would insult. And so I decided to go seek him out. I kicked my chull, and it trudged in the general direction of the remaining Kholins. 

Klade glanced around at the chull mess. The food seemed to have been contaminated by chull droppings. No real harm done, though it would be amusing to see the nobility eat the stuff. Wit seemed to be going over to the Kholins, Venli was talking with Jasnah, and others seemed to be gossiping about the ostracized Kholin. He might as well check in with Venli and see what she was doing.

2 hours ago, SE_Liss said:

However, trust usually comes with the kings actions.  If the king works for, and successfully helps his people, they tend to trust him more.  If he is corrupt and spends his energy on his advisers rather than his people, his advisers will trust him more at the cost of the people.
It is a rather fine line to walk.  And I admit, Gavilar is not the worst king in history..."

An interesting explanation from someone living in a country that hadn't had a king in several hundred years. No mention of what the people could actually do if they didn't trust the king, either. There was a reason Gavilar had needed to use overwhelming force in order to unite the kingdom. Shardbearers and Soulcasters made it nigh impossible for those who had neither to achieve any sort of military victory against an Alethi monarch who refused to back down. The royalty might suffer if the entire nation decided to march on Kholinar, sure, but the capacity to wait out a rebellion so long as the Ardentia didn't decide to take the people's side coupled with the power to send in nearly invincible warriors to assassinate leadership and slaughter rioters made any sort of uprising from the lower classes unfeasible. Gavilar might not be the worst king in history, but the Alethi political system could not be credited for that achievement. Beggar idly wondered if Liss might be from a country with a different style of government, but the majority of his attention was fixated on the chull encroaching upon a table laden with wine. He hurried over to convince the chull to head in a different direction.

46 minutes ago, SE_Drunk_Beggar said:

An interesting explanation from someone living in a country that hadn't had a king in several hundred years. No mention of what the people could actually do if they didn't trust the king, either. There was a reason Gavilar had needed to use overwhelming force in order to unite the kingdom. Shardbearers and Soulcasters made it nigh impossible for those who had neither to achieve any sort of military victory against an Alethi monarch who refused to back down. The royalty might suffer if the entire nation decided to march on Kholinar, sure, but the capacity to wait out a rebellion so long as the Ardentia didn't decide to take the people's side coupled with the power to send in nearly invincible warriors to assassinate leadership and slaughter rioters made any sort of uprising from the lower classes unfeasible. Gavilar might not be the worst king in history, but the Alethi political system could not be credited for that achievement. Beggar idly wondered if Liss might be from a country with a different style of government, but the majority of his attention was fixated on the chull encroaching upon a table laden with wine. He hurried over to convince the chull to head in a different direction.

Quite astute beggar.  Forgive me, but you usually don't expect to be corrected in such a... meaningful way from someone drunk at a party.

Anyway, yes that is true.  Though I try not to antagonize the royalty too much in public.  Looks bad on both of us.

(Liss idly wonders if she is from a differant country... She can't remember, as it hasn't been specifically stated in the books)

Edited by SE_Liss

"It's an agreeable arrangement," said Ialai. "The commoners don't antagonize the royalty, and the royalty don't chop off the commoner's heads. Works for both sides." She wrinkled her nose at the animal droppings. Tearim appeared to be doing a valiant effort to clear the hall of the animals, and she had half a mind to applaud him. Eventually, though, the stench and commotion had caused her to have enough.

"Can someone get these chulls out of here?"

2 minutes ago, SE_Ialai_Sadeas said:

"It's an agreeable arrangement," said Ialai. "The commoners don't antagonize the royalty, and the royalty don't chop off the commoner's heads. Works for both sides." She wrinkled her nose at the animal droppings. Tearim appeared to be doing a valiant effort to clear the hall of the animals, and she had half a mind to applaud him. Eventually, though, the stench and commotion had caused her to have enough.

"Can someone get these chulls out of here?"

"I'm sure I would enjoy watching you try and get that one chull family out of the bathroom." 

On 9/13/2018 at 4:48 AM, SE_Ash said:

Ash walked up to Nale. "Are you okay?"

"Are you okay?"

Does she not realize?

"Ash. Please. I know about the missing statue. And you know I can't let that slide, no matter what the culprit has been through."

Nale paused.

"No matter what we've been through. I'm... sorry, to see you like this, but the law is the law."

LG49/AN3: Hour 3 - Eavesdropping

Thara shook her head. Chulls in the palace? The night was growing strange already, and she had a feeling it would only get worse from here. 

She tried to smile politely as she moved through the crowds, but didn’t feel like she was quite managing. Hopefully, the room was dim enough and people had drunk enough that they couldn’t tell.

“Wait - what’s that?” someone said behind her. “Up there!”

Thara looked up automatically, then blinked and squinted. Up in the rafters was a shadowy figure. How did they even get up there? she thought. She’d thought she knew all the secret nooks and passageways of the palace...

“Guards!” someone else called. “Guards! Go and get that person down immediately!”

Great, Thara thought. It was going to be a long night...

There will be an ostracism vote this cycle. 

This cycle will end at 11am BST on Sunday 16th September. 

bla_1537092000.png

Jasnah tried to see who was in the rafters. All she could see was a shadowed figure. The figure disappeared. What the storms is that? some sort of spren? a magician? She thought? 

Time to see if anyone could get a better look. Turning, she approached the Parshendi. They seemed to each have different abilities, maybe one of them had exceptional sight. "Did any of you see what was up there?"

A mysterious stranger had appeared in the rafter. Ivory sighed. 'Well, what'll it be this time? A spy?' Ivory was moving through Shadesmar, trying to find a spot from which he could enter the rafters. 'An assassin?' It wasn't that he particularly cared what the humans where up to now, but the rafters would give him a good spot to observe them from and find who he was looking for. 

'Maybe it's Adolin sneaking back in? Or maybe...' Ivory stepped back into the palace from Shadesmar. '..it's a cardboard cutout created by wit to taunt the nobles with!' Ivory looked around in the rafters. If it had been another one of wits tricks, then he'd already moved the thing away again.

Torol couldn't tell who'd been hiding among the rafters, but it honestly didn't surprise him. It took no stretch of the imagination to believe someone, who was not invited to the feast, had found their way inside with the chulls to spy. It also wasn't any different than the guests of the party were themselves doing - spying, eavesdropping and manipulating each other to fulfill their own goals.

What a wonderful party, Sadeas thought. 

He just needed to go about his business knowing that someone - anyone - might be prying into it and sharing secrets.

"Amaram, That is the exact same post you posted before... I believe I addressed your issues.  Please either explain yourself or retract your vote to ostracize me."

"Do we not have bigger problems, with the person in the rafters? I am here, so you know that person was not me."  *I mumble the next part* "I wouldn't have been that obvious anyway"

Edited by SE_Liss
Added an after thought