Long Game 49/Anonymous Game 3: Window to the Past

little wilson

When news of Sadeas' accusation reached him, Ivory couldn't help but let out a sigh of relief. Whether true or not, this should occupy Nale for the rest of the evening, if not for several days afterwards. He didn't care much about humans and their politics. Some kinds of Spren enjoyed watching the maneuvering, but to him it seemed like it was just a massive waste of effort for everyone involved.

Wits declaration surprised him. He hadn't expected the man to rally to anyone's defense in a situation like this. But then again, Wit had mentioned something about working together with some people on a personal project in a private conversation a while back, so he could very well just be interjecting because he knew the accusation was false.

In case anyone here is not reading the RP, or I'm being too cryptic: Wit mentioned he'd worked together with 2 people last night in a PM. He didn't mention who he'd worked with, or what they'd been trying to do, but this claim has some basis to it.

Edit: a second person has verified that Adolin was part of that action, and that it wasn't a failed attempt to kill Sadeas. This is all I'm going to say on this matter, as it's a human affair.

Edited by SE_Ivory

19 hours ago, SE_Adolin_Kholin said:

Adolin cast his eyes downward, attempting to look suitably chastened, but he could not prevent a wide grin from breaking out over his face as his father remonstrated him. “There you are, Father!” he said, seizing Dalinar in tight hug with a mixture of relief and joy. “You’re finally here! I’ve spent almost an hour looking around for you. I’m sorry for criticising your old friend, but I didn’t realise you’d brought him here. It’s great to see you up and about again! Look, come talk with these Parshendi, they’re very nice. I even got one to dance with me...” Adolin tugged his father’s sleeve, pulling him around the room. The youthful exuberance was only slightly faked. The happiness of seeing his father as he was in his younger days, without alcohol or guilt clouding his mind, was an enormous comfort to Adolin. Particularly, seeing his father issuing commands like the strong general he was supposed to be made Adolin grin even wider.

Dalinar stiffened under the hug, not sure about this public display of emotion, then slowly wrapped his arms around his son.

"Yes, I'm here." Dalinar said gruffly, sizing up Adolin. I was busy talking with Sadeas and -" when he was interrupted by something that Torol himself was saying.

1 hour ago, SE_Torol_Sadeas said:

"I have finally tracked the source of those rumors, to Adolin Kholin of all people." Sadeas declared "The child should be thrown out before causing any more trouble."

Dalinar quickly turned and eyed his son, pushing him out of his embrace, and grabbing him by the shoulders. "Adolin what is Sadeas saying? What have you done?"

Edit: No one has actually pinged him yet, so, just to be safe.

@SE_Adolin_Kholin

Edited by SE_Dalinar_Kholin
See above

Aesudan stepped forwards.

"Unfortunately, I can confirm that the rumors are not unfounded. I approached young Adolin with my concerns, when I heard the rumors that he was planning to perform an act of violence... And he admitted that he was planning on killing somebody at this feast."

"In general, I have always had the highest respect for Adolin, and I am sure that he does not truly mean to engage in such a grave crime. I'm sure that this is merely a decision made in the heat of the moment, impaired by too much wine."

"Such episodes are not without precedent," Aesudan remarked, glancing over at Dalinar, who was already showing signs of inebriation.

"As such, I suggest that Adolin be removed from the feast, at least for the time being, so that he can come to his senses."

Just so we are all on the same page, it should be fairly obvious from the way that this vote is developing that there is some discussion going on in PMs that has precipitated this. I confess I am a little concerned by the nontransparency of this practice. But, I am still taking part in it, because I have confirmed that the accusation aganst Adolin is legitimate. I am not in principle opposed to there being attacks (this is an SE game after all), but I am concerned by how quickly Adolin resorted to it to further his objective.

I did contemplate attacking someone who I believed posed an existential threat to my win condition. I did, however, take the chance to speak with them privately, and quickly disabused myself of such notions—he was not as much of a threat as I believed him to be. However, I believe it is quite hypocritical of Aesudan to criticise me of attempted murder, as I learned from the action I cooperated with Wit on last night that she was not only thinking about murdering one of our Parshendi guests, but actually attempted to commit the deed. My supposed murders were confined to mere speculation, and I have no intention of removing @SE_Drunk_Beggar from the game, which he himself can confirm from our PM. I will instead be looking to further my win condition in other ways. 

Edited by SE_Adolin_Kholin
Removed “Aunt” from Aesudan

6 minutes ago, SE_Adolin_Kholin said:

I did contemplate attacking someone who I believed posed an existential threat to my win condition. I did, however, take the chance to speak with them privately, and quickly disabused myself of such notions—he was not as much of a threat as I believed him to be. However, I believe it is quite hypocritical of Aesudan to criticise me of attempted murder, as I learned from the action I cooperated with Wit on last night that she was not only thinking about murdering one of our Parshendi guests, but actually attempted to commit the deed. My supposed murders were confined to mere speculation, and I have no intention of removing @SE_Drunk_Beggar from the game, which he himself can confirm from our PM. I will instead be looking to further my win condition in other ways. 

"I have heard rumours of Aesudan's attempted assassination of Klade as well, but i have not seen any evidence. If you and your friends can bring such evidence to bear, it would go a long way in preventing you from being removed."

21 minutes ago, SE_Adolin_Kholin said:

I am going to believe my son, Adolin, he is an honorable person, and I do not believe that he would have told a lie of this degree. If he is saying that Aesudan has done something then it is at least worth looking in to.

“He appears to devote a lot of time to it.” Ialai raised her hands to draw attention. “Whether Aesudan was responsible for the attempt on Klade is neither here not there for now. I and others have voted on Adolin as we are concerned about the way he was approaching his goals. We received multiple reports that he planned to kill someone this cycle. I believe that Klade is unlikely to be attacked again as it would be hard to muster an appropriate following for two turns in a row, and I have yet to see evidence that proves that Aesudan was involved. For the sake of Torol, we must ostracise Adolin until he can come to his bearings.”

The clamor in the dining hall was reaching new heights. The Parshendi were humming nervously, in their weird rhythms. Wit seemed to be considering throwing the glass of violet in his hand. Tearim decided that now, if at all, it was time to step in.

"Excuse me! Would everyone please calm down."

The noise lessened a little.

"It seems, that despite my best efforts, some of you can't help but try to kill each other." Tearim scanned the assembled nobility. "Let's not descend into a mob this early in the night, shall we? Brightness @SE_Aesudan_Kholin, I heard your name called. Please explain." 

Navani twirled around, stormlight unusually bright as she heard fragments of voices. Accusations. Reaching her hand for a mind-clearing drink as Jasnah had advised her, Navsni found herself drinking more wine. "Oh my," she mumbled as she turned to address the crowd, keeping herself upright. She wasn't drunk. A little giddy, but not drunk, right?

"Excuse me," she said as a brief pocket of silence manifested for the Queen to speak through.

"People are saying Aesudan is attempting murderer, and maybe she is, and that's bad." Why was she speaking so informally? "But what if Aesudan didn't? But what if she did? But what if she didn't? But what if she did? But what if she didn't? But what if she did? But what if she didn't? But what if she did? But what if she didn't? This is all so confusing, somebody fetch me something detoxicating!" As she a servant scramble to serve her, Navani continued.

"But Adolin, my own nephew? I know you are honourable, but surely all these people are not lying about you? But maybe they are lying of your deeds. But maybe you really are a danger. But what if you're not? But what if you are? But what if you're not? But what if you are? But what if you're not? But what if you are? But what if you're not? But what if you are? But what if-

Navani fainted.

Edited by SE_Navani_Kholin

Just now, SE_Navani_Kholin said:

Navani twirled around, stormlight unusually bright as she heard fragments of voices. Accusations. Reaching her hand for a mind-clearing drink as Jasnah had advised her, Navsni found herself drinking more wine. "Oh my," she mumbled as she turned to address the crowd, keeping herself upright. She wasn't drunk. A little giddy, but not drunk, right?

"Excuse me," she said as a brief pocket of silence manifested for the Queen to speak through.

"People are saying Aesudan is attempting murderer, and maybe she is, and that's bad." Why was she speaking so informally? "But what if Aesudan didn't? But what if she did? But what if she didn't? This is all so confusing, somebody fetch me something detoxicating!" As she a servant scramble to serve her, Navani continued.

"But Adolin, my own nephew? I know you are honourable, but surely all these people are not lying about you? But maybe they are lying of your deeds. But maybe you really are a danger. But what if you're not? But what if you are? But what if-

Navani fainted.

So that's a vote for Adolin at the end?

Dalinar saw Navani falling, and moved towards her, as fast as he could, but people were in the way. 
"MOVE!" Dalinar yelled, shoving through the few people in his way, knocking at least one of them to the ground. He was already almost to her, but he realized that he would be too late..

If not for his years of practice controlling his actions, Szeth-son-son-Vallano would have spilled his tray of wines when he heard of the attempted assassination on one of his masters' life -- by Aesudan Kholin, no less. As it was, his tray of orange wines only wobbled slightly, and his pure white clothing remained unstained.

Only two hours since the treaty had been signed and the Alethi had already attempted to break it. Why? Had it all been a ruse to get the Parshendi to lower their guard? Any other people would have been unwilling to trust that a few signatures on a piece of paper would protect them if the Alethi decided to go to war, but the Parshendi didn't know any better. Perhaps it was all just a prelude to a new swelling of the Parshmen population in Alethkar.

Szeth altered his route so that it angled closer to the Parshendi dignitaries. He couldn't make out expressions of worry on their strange, marbled faces, but their humming had suddenly changed to faster tempo. He curled his fingers, ready to draw his Blade whenever his masters called.

Wow... Ok, a lot has happened in the hour, or so, I have been away... Lets see if we can sort this out...

When the celebration first started, I was approached by Aesudan.  We came to an agreement of espionage. She and I would collaborate to spy on each other, as it would satisfy both of our wincons.  That would have taken place over the last turn, and then this one.  However, we were not able to completely agree on the details of the arrangement.  So we went and found other people to assist us.

I found Wit and Adolin.  I spied on Aesudan and saw that she spied on me at the same time.  I, however, got the impression from our conversations, that she was working with a group that I was nervous about.  So I created the rumor that she had attacked Klade, as I thought (apparently rightly so), that that would anger enough people to get her ostracized.  I, however, expected to be able to control that rumor.  I was obviously incorrect.

Then Adolin asked Wit and me to attack @SE_Dalinar_Kholin .  I do not know how the rumor that he was attempting to attack Sadeas got out... I am sorry Sadeas, but it seems you have not caught the person targetting you.

I am color blind, so hopefully the colors on my posts are decent...

I claim full responsibility for this confusion.

Edited by SE_Liss