Mr. Sanderson, oh how I want to punch you!!!

Dude, your the best description writer, of magic, in the world of fantasy. Your stories might have a kiddy vibe, nothing like Mr.Martin, or Mr. Erickson. You explain in detail how your magic works. I love it.

The reason I want too punch you is, your too damnation nice. You, with the stormlight seris, have the potential too have the best fantasy book series of all time!!! Not like all the other 5+ book seris that always get worse and worse by them dragging the story the mud, wheel of time, sword of truth, even Erickson and Esslemont story is good but it's all over the damnation place.

So stop doing book Signings , stop doing broadcasting stop writing the books that really don't matter. And please stop depriving the world,in probably Jesus, of This series. Time is precious we do not have that much on this planet you of all people know how spontaneous things can happen Mr. Jordan for example. So with that said what would happen if something would happen to you? Who would finish the series? Would you trust your "baby" to be done as you would wanted it to be done? As my father used to say "stop jerking off, and get back too work!". Please stop being so perfect, and tell us fans too leave you the shell alone so you can create your masterpiece!!!!

Welcome to the forum!

However, I hate to break it to you, but you have a really biased opinion. Some people may disagree with you and argue that other books by Brandon are better. I've heard people say Warbreaker is his best or the original Mistborn trilogy. He even won a Hugo (before we had a puppy problem) for The Emperor's Soul. 

Additionally...Brandon is a FAST writer. He churns out high quality books like no other. Because he has a plan (is he a Cylon?!). A well documented/wiki'd plan. When he wrote Shadows of Self, he also wrote Bands of Mourning. We, as fans, got two books for the price of one waiting period!

Yes, Stormlight Archive is amazing, but he is currently writing the third book and will probably finish the series in his life time (if not yours too).

Be patient, my new friend. Be patient. 

Peace, man. It's not good to make the whole fandom mad at you when you first join a community.

As it happens, a creative person needs "breaks" anyway. Yes, that means doing casts, that means other things, too. He works for eight hours writing a day (from my understanding and what I've like seen on twitter, his blog, etc), and writes insanely consistently and quickly for someone who must, also, research (history, science, culture, economics, etc) build his worlds and magic systems from scratch. It's like, say, someone making a masterpiece. They have to do figure studies and months to even years of prep work before they can set down and paint it. There's a lot more to this kind of writing than you realize; it's a very active process, and we'll never see everything that goes into it...and that's ok.

I suggest reading some of Brandon's other work. Given that Stormlight is part of the larger cosmere (and really, part of a 37~ book series; oh yeah, I just blew your mind!), I think you have plenty to read and explore. He also has contingency plans...but he's only 40, that's not even that old, we'll be fine.

Then I'm convinced he owns a time machine. I work 9 hr shift job. And I barely see my family..

Our main hypothesis involve bendalloy bubbles.

But yeah, if you count the number of pages he's actually written, brandon is one of the most prolific authors around. unlike others who wrote a single huge series but little else, brandon wrote a lot of stuff. For example, JRRM took fours years between two consecutive books of a song of ice and fire. Brandon is taking 4 or 5 years between books 2 and 3 of the stomrlight archive, but in the meanwhile we got/we'll be getting 3 mistborn books, the reckoners, alcatraz 5, dark sand, and a smattering of short stories.

So, not much to complain there.

As it happens, a creative person needs "breaks" anyway. Yes, that means doing casts, that means other things, too.

Yeah, maybe that's why he gets better as he keeps writing while others get worse.

Anyway, writing - or any kind of creative work - is not like carrying around piles of bricks. Sitting in front of a pc and writing is not a guarantee of making good writing. One needs to find inspiration, or consider carefully where he wants the story to go, and that's not something coming from time alone.

Really, the only point I will concede is that he seems to be on tours/signings half the time, slowing down his writing. I'd rather he does less tours and more writing. But it's inevitable when one becomes succesful; plus, it's his life, his choice. He sells the books he's already written, he's under no obligation to make more. I think making his signings and tours and being pandered by the fans helps keep him motivated towards writing more; I have no idea what percentages he get on the sales of the books, but I strongly suspect he already got enough money that he could stop working entirely if he wanted.

In writing excuses he talks a little about how when you break into full-time, or even part-time, writing you need to change so that you have an artist side and a business side.  You can't be 100% about the art when it's your source of income unless you want you and your family to starve.  It's all well and good for you to criticize him for not meeting your needs, but he does need to put bread on the table.  Sure he has enough that he could live comfortably for the rest of his life (based on my quick googling) without keeping up his business side, but why should he?  He's worked really hard to learn how to run a good business.  

Besides, if he alienates his fandom by not being present either at conventions/signings or in frequently publications, many will move on.  Part of his energy comes from the fans, from the interaction, from seeing people enjoy his work.  He always says that if he only wrote Stormlight that he would probably publish it at the same speed or slower than without the other shorter books to refresh himself.\

But have an upvote because it's sad to see people in the negatives and as a welcome to the forums.  Also, have a cookie.

Edited by soulcastJam

I suspect that the tours and signings are both a way of saying thank you to the fans for supporting him, and a way for him to just take a break. It's hard for anyone, Brandon included, to just write non-stop without taking a breather. He's already twice as fast as some authors I know, and that's not including the other smaller series he's writing.

Fans obviously want to be able to see Brandon, and as SoulcastJam said, they are a part of his energy. Without the fans, Brandon probably wouldn't have as much of an influence. Though, he likes to answer most questions with RAFO, so.

I am very excited for Oathbringer, but I'd like for Brandon to do his thing, because that's who he is.

Dude, your the best description writer, of magic, in the world of fantasy. Your stories might have a kiddy vibe, nothing like Mr.Martin, or Mr. Erickson. You explain in detail how your magic works. I love it.

The reason I want too punch you is, your too damnation nice. You, with the stormlight seris, have the potential too have the best fantasy book series of all time!!! Not like all the other 5+ book seris that always get worse and worse by them dragging the story the mud, wheel of time, sword of truth, even Erickson and Esslemont story is good but it's all over the damnation place.

So stop doing book Signings , stop doing broadcasting stop writing the books that really don't matter. And please stop depriving the world,in probably Jesus, of This series. Time is precious we do not have that much on this planet you of all people know how spontaneous things can happen Mr. Jordan for example. So with that said what would happen if something would happen to you? Who would finish the series? Would you trust your "baby" to be done as you would wanted it to be done? As my father used to say "stop jerking off, and get back too work!". Please stop being so perfect, and tell us fans too leave you the shell alone so you can create your masterpiece!!!!

I...kind of agree with you. While it's true he's put off Oathbringer for quite a while (along with Rithmatist 2), when he does AMAs and signings we gain more insight into his works and it makes a more rewarding experience for all of us readers. But if he took off a year or so to just write, I would be absolutely fine with it. 

Obviously this is a matter of personal preference, but I like Brandon books because they are not like GRRM or Erickson. I like reading stories where there are true heroes. Not everything needs to be "gritty." I think Stormlight does an excellent job exploring true heroism, and it's very refreshing to read.

Well, I'd say that seeing so many people deeply enjoy his books and hear them express that joy in person and also see the people to dive so deep into the worlds he created and figure them out and constantly ask about them is quite a motivating experience.

It's one thing to hear "I liked your book, it was a very pleasant read" and another to see a Realmatically-obsessed Sharder rapidly fire thoughtful, complex questions at you about the universe you created. It's a thing not many people can experience and I'd say it's very motivating.

Keep theorizing, people!

Obviously this is a matter of personal preference, but I like Brandon books because they are not like GRRM or Erickson. I like reading stories where there are true heroes. Not everything needs to be "gritty." I think Stormlight does an excellent job exploring true heroism, and it's very refreshing to read.

Honestly, I find Sanderson's books more realistic than their grittier counterparts. It's not like there's no grim, blood, whatever in his work, but it's not to the same unrealistic extent as in Dug Age-esque Game of Thrones or Erickson. Grit doesn't equal realism; grit is just our modern expectation for the medieval period.

Edited by Kandra-in-disguise

I have tried too read his other books. Mistborn started okay, and ended less then okay. I tried to read the super powers one but it was like reading hank the cow dog in 2nd grade. All I am saying is that if he can push out all of these books, while doing all the other stuff. I couldn't fathom how fast he would if that's all he did. Too me he doesn't seem like the type that's doing it for the money. Because he loves to write and loves to please his fans. But at this rate it will be twenty years tell it's finished. Boo to you guys for not supporting me.

Tip: When entering a forum do not insult the person who the forum is about and then boo everyone who stated that their opinion differed from your own.

EDIT: Sorry if I'm being harsh. I've had a rough day.

Edited by Straw

I have tried too read his other books. Mistborn started okay, and ended less then okay. I tried to read the super powers one but it was like reading hank the cow dog in 2nd grade. All I am saying is that if he can push out all of these books, while doing all the other stuff. I couldn't fathom how fast he would if that's all he did. Too me he doesn't seem like the type that's doing it for the money. Because he loves to write and loves to please his fans. But at this rate it will be twenty years tell it's finished. Boo to you guys for not supporting me.

The thing is Brandon has spoken about how if he only wrote Stormlight, we wouldn't get the books any faster, jumping from series to series is how he stays fresh.

That is a very odd sentiment you are expressing. I love how active he is with his fans, and I doubt it is slowing him down very much. As others have said, he is very prolific. He has multiple projects going at all times, and in terms of word count per week, I don't remember the number off hand (he said it either in a Writing Excuses or during a BYU lecture) but I seem to recall it was over 10K/week, every single week.

Regarding the gritty, I hesitate to draw to strong of a distinction there because it makes it sound like Brandon's stuff is bubble-wrapped and PG. I've read all of ASoIF and no scene still gets me in a mini panic compared to the first bridge run chapter in WoK. That is the darkest most profoundly disturbing scene I've read (in the very best way).

So in other words, I don't think it is a matter of gritty vs non-gritty content, it has to do with what is emphasized and how. GRRM emphasizes the gritty thing itself, Brandon emphasizes the character's experience of the gritty thing. I prefer the latter in general.

Too me he doesn't seem like the type that's doing it for the money. Because he loves to write and loves to please his fans.

yeah, exactly. He likes to write, and he has several stories in mind, so he's not going to write just one. He loves to please his fans, and the mistborn saga has at least as much fandom as the stormlight archive - you may not like it, but if you ask around what's the best sanderson saga, you'd be answered "mistborn" as much as "stormlight archive". So he is pleasing his fans. In fact, the cosmere is his life's work, and most fans want to see all of  it, so he's pleasing his fans more that way than by focusing on one single project.

And he stated many times that he finds it much less tiring to write different books. To me it makes as much sense as carrying a load of stones as a way to rest from carrying a load of gravel, but if for sanderson it works, then all the better for us.

Finally, insulting other people for disagreeing with you - even if they were only half-hearted, half-jokes insults - is heavily frowned upon in this community.

You stated your opinion at the start of this topic, and we were/are only returning the favor. People on the Shard like to discuss things (as I've found) so we are letting you know how other people react to your opinion.

We all feel like you to a point. We all want Oathbringer to come out, but we also like his other works. I read a lot of books at the same time, and I do this because sometimes books can get a little boring, even the Stormlight Archive (Sorry Shallan!). Reading different books helps me finish the ones I already started, so I think that--to a degree--this is how Brandon Sanderson feels. Writing one book when he has the motivation, and then writing another when he has the motivation to write something else. I'm not saying he's just jumping from one book to another, I'm just saying he's his own person and not a robot.

Also, nobody likes be insulted, so I'm sorry if you feel a little put off. But as I already said, we are giving you our opinions.

Too me he doesn't seem like the type that's doing it for the money.

Definitely not. He was working on his thirteenth novel before his first sale came in (Elantris, his 6th novel).  He spent eight years writing because he loved it, even though he had been rejected again and again. He strikes me as the definition of someone doing what they love for its own sake, and lucky for him, he's now getting paid 6-figure advances for doing it... but that was not the case for a very long time.

Definitely not. He was working on his thirteenth novel before his first sale came in (Elantris, his 6th novel).  He spent eight years writing because he loved it, even though he had been rejected again and again. He strikes me as the definition of someone doing what they love for its own sake, and lucky for him, he's now getting paid 6-figure advances for doing it... but that was not the case for a very long time.

If there has been a better-rewarded boon for any piece of effort in the history of (book)kind, I would like to hear it. All hail Mr. Sanderson, who continues to work to make fantasy books better and keeps this site going.

Edited by Rubix
Removed off topic discussion.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2016 at 6:14 AM, Titan Arum said:

Welcome to the forum!

However, I hate to break it to you, but you have a really biased opinion. Some people may disagree with you and argue that other books by Brandon are better. I've heard people say Warbreaker is his best or the original Mistborn trilogy. He even won a Hugo (before we had a puppy problem) for The Emperor's Soul. 

Additionally...Brandon is a FAST writer. He churns out high quality books like no other. Because he has a plan (is he a Cylon?!). A well documented/wiki'd plan. When he wrote Shadows of Self, he also wrote Bands of Mourning. We, as fans, got two books for the price of one waiting period!

Yes, Stormlight Archive is amazing, but he is currently writing the third book and will probably finish the series in his life time (if not yours too).

Be patient, my new friend. Be patient. 

I never get why Warbreaker is some peoples favorites, if anything it sort of highlights alot of Brandon's own tropes as a writer, which I shall list below.

1. Overly written 'witty' royal or important person that has to make an annoying amount of quips even if it can detract from the mood of a scene or event. 

This is perfectly representative of Lightsong and how many storming hilarious quips he makes. It's funny because he's selfaware of it all and likes to make jokes about it 24 hours a day. This can also be sort of applied to Vivenna for the first half, (Big Spoilers ahead), nearly dying? Have a quip, feeling scared? Have a quip. Talking about how terrified and vulnerable she really is? Have another few lines of quip and Sanderson banter. My issue is all this banter and quips of his can almost detract from the impact and serious things that happen in the story when the characters don't really feel like a person at times.

'"probably not for us to know."

"Probably," he agreed.

Silence. 

"Should have called you wartlover the ugly," she finally said.  ' Oh Brandon, you funny guy you.        

2. The restating what we already know or what the character just said in italicization. 

3. The 'I have to invent my own swears for the world, gotta keep it pg. and all. 

Now this one is sort of my lesser gripes with how he does things, but I sort of get the feeling having the characters say something along the lines of, Colors colors colors!' As apposed to 'storm storm storm!' kind just detracts from drama a bit I guess if that makes sense. For instance when Blushweaver is abruptly killed, Lightsong can only go 'Colors!'. 

I read Stormlight archive first, then Mistborn, then I moved on to all his other books so I suppose i've just been spoiled by his more current writing. I also imagine I have an unpopular gripe and opinion when it comes to sanderson books and his tropes.

1 hour ago, Rellar said:

3. The 'I have to invent my own swears for the world, gotta keep it pg. and all. 

Now this one is sort of my lesser gripes with how he does things, but I sort of get the feeling having the characters say something along the lines of, Colors colors colors!' As apposed to 'storm storm storm!' kind just detracts from drama a bit I guess if that makes sense. For instance when Blushweaver is abruptly killed, Lightsong can only go 'Colors!'. 

I actually think that adding your own swear words helps with culture building in a novel. Maybe that's just me, but I feel like it helps engage me in the world more.

1 hour ago, Stranker said:

I actually think that adding your own swear words helps with culture building in a novel. Maybe that's just me, but I feel like it helps engage me in the world more.

Agreed, I think it is a cool part of the world building. When I interact with people on fantasy writing forums, I am always surprised that a lot agree with @Reller on this.

Part of it is visceral and emotion, since studies have shown that actual swears activate different parts of our brain and induce a different kind of reaction, which invented swear words can't do no matter how clever they are (at least at first, until you assimilate them. C.S.Friendman used Vulking in place of... well you know... and it sounds close enough that it translates pretty quickly).

3 hours ago, Rellar said:

I never get why Warbreaker is some peoples favorites, if anything it sort of highlights alot of Brandon's own tropes as a writer, which I shall list below.

1. Overly written 'witty' royal or important person that has to make an annoying amount of quips even if it can detract from the mood of a scene or event. 

This is perfectly representative of Lightsong and how many storming hilarious quips he makes. It's funny because he's selfaware of it all and likes to make jokes about it 24 hours a day. This can also be sort of applied to Vivenna for the first half, (Big Spoilers ahead), nearly dying? Have a quip, feeling scared? Have a quip. Talking about how terrified and vulnerable she really is? Have another few lines of quip and Sanderson banter. My issue is all this banter and quips of his can almost detract from the impact and serious things that happen in the story when the characters don't really feel like a person at times.

'"probably not for us to know."

"Probably," he agreed.

Silence. 

"Should have called you wartlover the ugly," she finally said.  ' Oh Brandon, you funny guy you.        

2. The restating what we already know or what the character just said in italicization. 

I read Stormlight archive first, then Mistborn, then I moved on to all his other books so I suppose i've just been spoiled by his more current writing. I also imagine I have an unpopular gripe and opinion when it comes to sanderson books and his tropes.

I mean... Brandon's prose is so much better post-Wheel of Time. The difference between Warbreaker and Way of Kings is crazy to fathom, so it's understandable.

25 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I mean... Brandon's prose is so much better post-Wheel of Time. The difference between Warbreaker and Way of Kings is crazy to fathom, so it's understandable.

Don't get me wrong, I do love Warbreaker and all of his novels. It's just alot of those little tropes stood out to me primarily in Elantris and Warbreaker. 

1 hour ago, zmunkz said:

Agreed, I think it is a cool part of the world building. When I interact with people on fantasy writing forums, I am always surprised that a lot agree with @Reller on this.

Part of it is visceral and emotion, since studies have shown that actual swears activate different parts of our brain and induce a different kind of reaction, which invented swear words can't do no matter how clever they are (at least at first, until you assimilate them. C.S.Friendman used Vulking in place of... well you know... and it sounds close enough that it translates pretty quickly).

That probably explains it, I guess I'm just too used to Joe Abercrombie and so on.

Edit: Oh, I entirely forgot it censors words on these. You get the idea. 

storm

Edited by Rellar