The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

While I agree that more specific questions generally have lower RAFO-ratings, I think we're fine in this case. We have so little info on the calamity!Earth that I think Brandon would be willing to throw us a bone.

And "yes, it is dependent: for instance <describes some power set's origin>" would be a very natural answer for Brandon, versus him quite possibly not wanting to talk about some given power set; like, for instance, Gifters. :P

After looking at how Ruin and Preservation created Harmony, I was wondering would it be possible for the other shards to "intermingle" in a similar way, I mean it could be possible that each shard may have an opposite?

Since, Adonalsium cannot be put back together, is it possible that all the other shards could work together and mimic (if not, completely) whatever power Adonalsium had before shattering?

After looking at how Ruin and Preservation created Harmony, I was wondering would it be possible for the other shards to "intermingle" in a similar way, I mean it could be possible that each shard may have an opposite?

Since, Adonalsium cannot be put back together, is it possible that all the other shards could work together and mimic (if not, completely) whatever power Adonalsium had before shattering?

Brandon has previously said that splinters may be joined to remake a shard and indicated that Harmony is itself a single shard now.  This all suggests that Adonalsium could be reformed.  Why do you think that it cannot?  Have you a tidbit for us?  If so, please share.

Brandon has previously said that splinters may be joined to remake a shard and indicated that Harmony is itself a single shard now.  This all suggests that Adonalsium could be reformed.  Why do you think that it cannot?  Have you a tidbit for us?  If so, please share.

I would be careful about saying "Harmony is one shard" because it is and it isn't.  There are instances where it acts as one shard and instances where it acts as two shards.

On the Adonlasium can't be reformed thing, I dig it.  I have a theory about it in my sig.

@Refero On the opposites thing, Brandon has said that not every shard has an opposite and that Ruin and Preservation are the only "perfect" opposites.

Key point is though, that if Sazed died, he would drop Harmony not Ruin and Preservation.

Yes, that is one of the instances where it acts as one shard. I've posted about this just about every time someone says Harmony is definitely one shard or definitely two shards.  It's both.  Take this quote for example, emphasis mine:

(http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=642#10)

Question

Were Ruin and Preservation two shards or one?

Brandon Sanderson

They were two shards. Harmony is considered a shard, although it’s really two, in the same way that a king of two countries would still be considered a king.

I am flattered :)

@Kythis, I think you'll want to clarify what you mean by "accidentally wordhop." To me, it sounds as vague as asking whether someone can accidentally run or jump.

Edited by Argent

Is the leeching of Breaths unique to Nightblood's Awakening Command 'Destroy Evil' and other command of a similar vein or is it in the nature of all intelligent inanimate Awakening? IE if a sword was Awakened with the command "Protect Innocent" would it still steal and devour breath?

Are Nightblood's breath's that he steals and leaches destroyed or does Nightblood absorb and hold on to them? If so what Heightening is Nightblood at?

Did the Lord Ruler know about the other planets in the Cosmere?

Edited by Darkarma

Did the Lord Ruler know about the other planets in the Cosmere?

Kind of.

Source:

PHANTINE:

How cosmere-aware was the Lord Ruler? If a Returned waltzed into Kredik Shaw, would he have any idea what was going on? Or at least be able to recognize 'hey that guy seems endowmenty'.

BRANDON SANDERSON:

Aware enough to know he wasn't alone, but not so aware that he'd know specifics. He didn't hold the power long enough to explore outward very far.

I am flattered :)

@Kythis, I think you'll want to clarify what you mean by "accidentally wordhop." To me, it sounds as vague as asking whether someone can accidentally run or jump.

Well if worldhopping is a completely involved process then one couldn't accidentally worldhop. But since we don't exactly know how it works definitively, that's why I wonder. Could someone be in a location where there is a concentrated amount of Cosmere-energies that could possibly transport that person somewhere else against his will? I'm just throwing out extreme examples for the purpose of clarification.

Accidental worldhopping could happen.  Consider, Shallan pops into Shadesmar and decides to do some substantial exploring.   During such exploring she wanders in to portions of Shadesmar which correspond to another world and she decides to pop out of Shadesmar and says 'What the nut?!  I don't think we're in Karbranth anymore Toto.'  Though she would have intentionally went to Shadesmar and intentionally wandered.  She did not intend to travel to another world.  I suppose it depends on how accidental you mean.

/>Is the leeching of Breaths unique to Nightblood's Awakening Command 'Destroy Evil' and other command of a similar vein or is it in the nature of all intelligent inanimate Awakening? IE if a sword was Awakened with the command "Protect Innocent" would it still steal and devour breath?

I Am thinking that it is beacuse nightblood has a command that is to compelex and needs MORE POWER because theres the vision of lifeless with nightblood swords and we know nightblood would kill normal people by eating their breath just like returend so no reaon why nightblood wouldnt kill a lifeless holder too

It Would be a great uplitmate question to ask if lifeless can willd awakened swords or just nightblood since vasher was worried about undead with bloodthirsty swords so hmm nightblood makes people part-drab when they draw it maybe it cant steal breath if you have no clor since it needs your color to transfer

Accidental worldhopping could happen.  Consider, Shallan pops into Shadesmar and decides to do some substantial exploring.   During such exploring she wanders in to portions of Shadesmar which correspond to another world and she decides to pop out of Shadesmar and says 'What the nut?!  I don't think we're in Karbranth anymore Toto.'  Though she would have intentionally went to Shadesmar and intentionally wandered.  She did not intend to travel to another world.  I suppose it depends on how accidental you mean.

That's a better way of describing what I meant. I imagine she now knows about Shadesmar (possible explanation from Jasnah that is; not from the actual encounter herself) but I doubt she's Cosmere-aware. And I kind of doubt Jasnah is as well but hey, who knows. So now I'm sure people know that they can--or how to--access Shadesmar but they don't understand it or the implications it provides such as worldhopping or even that other worlds exist.

The Nightwatcher's curses are all neurological in nature. Would she be able to curse someone with sprenblindness?

i.e., Rock the Horneater can see Sylphrena even when she's not specifically revealing herself to him. Someone who is sprenblind would never be able to see any sort of spren, regardless of whether they reveal themselves to him or her.

We don't actually know whether all of Nightwatcher's curses are neurological. You are probably referring to the question here, but it's becoming widely accepted that Brandon's response was only to the actual question, not the assumption/supposition before it. So he is saying "Yes, boons are limited in a particular matter."