Mistborn Vs Radiant

Mistborn Vs Radiant  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather be mistborn or knight radiant?

• Mistborn
    • Knight Radiant

Rather be a Knights Radiant, because I would enjoy having the company of a Spren and have that close bond. I would also prefer it due to the healing factor and how I could use it for changing my body and such, which Mistborn cannot do as well or as efficiently as a Knights Radiant.  

• 2 weeks later...

I had to go mistborn for this... but my real answer is to be a full blooded feruchemist.  If a spike were to be allowed in my future I would take pewterA on top of it.  

Side question here.  If a feruchemist (or even just a nicrosil ferring) had access to a ton of spikes could they transfer the power from the spikes into metal minds and make themselves near fullborn?  

Feruchemy is the ultimate magic system for real life imo.  I won't get too far into the power struggle but sazed vs marsh shows us that even though it won't last forever, a feruchemist makes for a good fight and can be some of the most intense fighters out there for a short burst of time.  

7 hours ago, DoctaDajman said:

Side question here.  If a feruchemist (or even just a nicrosil ferring) had access to a ton of spikes could they transfer the power from the spikes into metal minds and make themselves near fullborn? 

I would not think so, as the Investiture in spikes is not keyed to them (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/404/#e13536) and is most likely not in form they could use. You could burn them allomantically though for some weird effects (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/210/#e4616)

6 hours ago, therunner said:

I would not think so, as the Investiture in spikes is not keyed to them (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/404/#e13536) and is most likely not in form they could use. You could burn them allomantically though for some weird effects (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/210/#e4616)

Can you elaborate a bit on this?   I'm not opposed to the answer but the way nicrosil works is just so speculative still that I dont have my mind wrapped around that even.  Some say you can only store the powers themselves and you can't even store any fuel for said powers.  

If that is so how exactly is it that hemolurgy works?   When wearing the spike does it not give you the power?  Or are you simply draining the power from a spike?  I feel like hemolurgic spikes dont run out so long as you are wearing them... my question then is that what does keying have to do with storing a power you are currently accessing and using?  If I am actively burning say pewter because I have Allomantic pewter from hemolurgic spike then why couldn't I store that investiture in nicrosil?  Likewise would someone be able to store strength gained from pewter which was gained from a spike into a pewtermind?  If so what would make the scenarios any different?   

2 hours ago, DoctaDajman said:

Can you elaborate a bit on this?   I'm not opposed to the answer but the way nicrosil works is just so speculative still that I dont have my mind wrapped around that even.  Some say you can only store the powers themselves and you can't even store any fuel for said powers.  

If that is so how exactly is it that hemolurgy works?   When wearing the spike does it not give you the power?  Or are you simply draining the power from a spike?  I feel like hemolurgic spikes dont run out so long as you are wearing them... my question then is that what does keying have to do with storing a power you are currently accessing and using?  If I am actively burning say pewter because I have Allomantic pewter from hemolurgic spike then why couldn't I store that investiture in nicrosil?  Likewise would someone be able to store strength gained from pewter which was gained from a spike into a pewtermind?  If so what would make the scenarios any different?   

Ah, I think I misunderstood you then, you meant using F-nicrosil to store ability from a spike the feruchemist would have in themselves? On that we have only RAFO (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/398/#e13200). I would personally think they still could not, as the while the spike 'staples on' different soul, it is still different soul and without the spike it would not hold.

In medallions the F-nicrosil works discretely (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/316/#e11247), which would be an argument against it storing the strength from pewter (or more specifically the kinetic investiture gained from pewter burning), but medallions are in some sense limited (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/361/#e11519) so a true Soulbearer might be able to do that.

On 7/19/2021 at 7:07 PM, Bzhydack said:

Of course, Full Feruchemist is always forgotten...

It is a shame.  Full feruchemist all the way any day.  I just think it offers the most useful options in most every situation... not just combat.  I dont see any metals as being useless or unethical to use as a feruchemist.  Even some things that I dont personally think I would mess with much could be sooo good in certain situations.  Not to mention we live in a pretty cush world that makes storing even the harder attributes way easier.  

I have wondered; if steel feruchemy speeds you up and you precieve the world as being slower (the bullet time effect), then wouldn't filling it make you precieve time as being faster?  How nice would it be to take long passenger rides / flights or even just plain boring days at work and being able to store speed and precieve the day to be going way faster?   

Feruchemy is my vote 100x over. 

2 hours ago, DoctaDajman said:

I have wondered; if steel feruchemy speeds you up and you precieve the world as being slower (the bullet time effect), then wouldn't filling it make you precieve time as being faster?  How nice would it be to take long passenger rides / flights or even just plain boring days at work and being able to store speed and precieve the day to be going way faster?   

This is probably an entirely different topic thread, but I assert that Steel Feruchemy does not speed up or slow down your mind or the way you perceive the world. My arguments for this are as follows:

1) Mental Speed is stored in Zinc and Physical Speed is stored in Steel. If they had the same effect, they wouldn't be separate metals, because Brandon doesn't do his magic design like that.

2) In SoS, there is a moment where Paalm taps a ton of Speed right as Wayne throws up a speed bubble. Interestingly, the prose makes it seem like Paalm took a second to realize that Wax was actually watching her, something that should've been more immediately obvious if it was actually increasing her mental speed.

3) Obviously there needs to be *some* kind of mental enhancement to make speed running work. I assert that these effects are in the subliminal part of the mind: Reflexes, physical coordination, etc. Have you ever had a moment where you're physically doing something you're usually bad at, but you start excelling for a brief moment, because your body is moving faster than your mind? And as soon as you realize the fact, and try to do it consciously, the magic ends? That's how I imagine the experience of steelrunning: You see yourself moving *fast*, but your subliminal control of your body is compensating--you don't *need* conscious control to avoid crashing into walls. 

The other thing is: When Sazed is storing everything, he doesn't remark that time seems to be moving slowly/quickly. His thoughts are moving slowly, but his body is moving even slower, Saze remarking on how agonizingly slow his arms are. Meanwhile, those speaking to him move and speak normally, Saze's PoV not noting anything strange in their timing. 

It's a good idea, but imo what you're looking for is A-Cadmium ;P

On 20.7.2021 at 2:38 AM, StanLemon said:

As much as I love Mistborn, most Orders of Radiant would just be so darn useful in everyday life.

If you were ruthless enough, emotional allomancy would have incredible usability in everyday life.

• 1 month later...

While I think that a radiant, especially one of a higher ideal, would be insanely powerful, In the real world, metals would be easier to acquire, and if you had unlimited investiture, I still feel as if in our current world a mistborn would be more useful. Huge metal skyscrapers, and metal everywhere, pewter for endurance in everyday activity, emotional allomancy could be used in arguments or politics, and the temporal allomancy could used, though in less situations. Any one of the powers could make you famous, you could be a vigilante or magician, with pewter you could win any fighting tournament.

For Radiants, assuming access to stormlight, lashings could be used for travel, much like steel/iron, regrowth could be insanely helpful, along with transformation. you could solve hunger, make valuable metals, work in destruction with either transformation or division, cohesion and the axial connections. Shardblade and shardplate would make you unstoppable. if you could make your blade a gun as seen in the unpublished sixth of dusk that'd be good. The only thing I could see hurting the plate would be missiles or bombs.

Ultimately I would have to say mistborn, as their abilities are less flashy.

I feel like the metallic arts are just generally easier to integrate into daily life as hacks with a reasonable degree of independence, whereas with surgebinding I'd have to walk around glowing with a giant weapon and constantly having someone hovering over you.

The abilities as a Mistborn (or full Feruchemist) are also just so diverse. The same person can use pewter to get through long shifts at work or all nighters for study, use cadmium if someone's had an accident while waiting for an ambulance, use brass to de-escalate a violent customer or partner or whatever, and gold to help confront past problems. There are obviously huge benefits to surgebinding, but they just don't fit into daily life in quite the same way with the same range.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Nameless said:

Look on the bright side: once era 3 and Stormlight arc 2 hit, I'll bet we won't have to argue any more.

We shouldn't have to argue now.

Also please revive your thread once a sub-forum is made for LM, 

not before then though