Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs passed away today. Here's an announcement.

I am utterly dumbfounded by this, as I was unaware of his ailing health. Everyone who uses a computer owes him so much, regardless of whether you use a Mac or PC, because of how much he shaped the industry with his innovation and vision.

Rest in peace.

Edited by Silus - Shard of Flame

FYI, your link is broken (it's missing a : after http)

I find it surprising that it was so sudden that he died, however, at the same time it doesn't surprise me, per say, because he's had issues with failing health over the past few years a couple of times (and there have been a number of death rumors up till now). I'm relatively sure he admitted he had pancreatic cancer about a year ago or so, so it's been a known thing, and he stepped down from apple not that long ago. I'm just surprised how SOON after he stepped down that he died. That means that he must have been in pretty bad shape at the time he stepped down.

All in all, being an anti-apple person myself, i can't say i'm a steve jobs fan, but i certainly didn't want him DEAD. I do respect all of the things he's done for PC's over the decades.

My only question is, how much of the billions he focused all his life on making is going to be donated to cancer research, like it should?

well, jobs isn't exactly known for philanthropy. In fact, he ended all of apple's corporate philanthropy programs when he rejoined apple in like 1998 (or whenever)

Though, i assume that call likely goes to his heir(s) (presumably his wife, i guess)

Edit:

To survive its late founder, Apple and Steve Jobs planned a training program in which company executives will be taught to think like him, in 'a forum to impart that DNA to future generations.'

In my opinion, that's kinda screwed up.

I know of a situation a few years back where he had proven himself to be a charitable person, on the one condition that the media was kept in the dark about what he did. I think that he may have in fact been more giving then people give him credit for, because he really didn't want the recognition in the first place. But that's just me trying to find the best in a person

Just because he didn't take the Bill Gates philanthropy route with his money doesn't make him a bad person. It just means that his priorities were elsewhere, like his company. Sure, he's not as awesome as he could be, but that's how it goes for most people. And since he started Pixar, I'm willing to forgive him that.

And since he started Pixar, I'm willing to forgive him that.

He didn't start pixar, he merely bought it from george lucas (it started as a division of lucasfilms) in the early 90's or so. Also, i don't THINK he ran it as CEO for any length of time, i think he just owned it and reaped large sums of cash. I could be wrong about that last part, though.

so....i knew this was going to happen eventually when i first heard this news, but, i'm going to go ahead and vent this here. I'm all ready sick of hearing people talking about all the things he invented. Seriously. I've looked through a few different articles/discussions on this topic in just the past half an hour and saw people claiming he invented....pretty much everything. For example, he invented clicking. Like with a mouse. Despite the fact that, looking it up, the very first trackball was made 3 years before he was born, and the first mouse prototype was when he was like 7.

Note: this has nothing to do really with jobs himself, and is more a comment against the collective fandom and their complaints/praises/tributes about the whole thing (also, has nothing to do with anything on here, just stuff i've seen around the 'net). Also, it seems like discussions about this topic are everywhere, in everything i do.

Anyone else having similar experiences thus far? :P

My only question is, how much of the billions he focused all his life on making is going to be donated to cancer research, like it should?

(Taking an opposition just for sake of debate...)

Like it should? Says who?

For the most part, there is no "should" or "shouldn't" when it comes to spending money. Should each of us spend some of our income on the bare necessities for ourselves and our dependents, or for anyone else we choose to care for? Yes. Beyond that, though, there is nothing that money should or should not be spent on. (Well, ok, there's a few "should nots" - I really should not spend my money to hire a mariachi band to precede me everywhere I go, constantly playing Danzig's "Mother".)

Frankly, though, it's none of our business how someone else spends his/her money, whether s/he wants to be a Scrooge McDuck or an Andrew Carnegie. Scrooge is a jerk, yes, but that'll come back to bite him in the rear. It's better for everyone if people who can help others do help others, but the world becomes a very dangerous place when people are required to do or not do things with their own money.

Perhaps but if it wasn't for him the gui, mouse would still be stuck at an obscure lab in Xerox. He may not have invented the ipod,gui, mouse etc but he certainly popularized it. It takes some real talent to turn ideas into products and market them successfully.

yeah, he POPULARIZED a lot of things, but people seem to think he INVENTED a lot of the things he popularized, which is just plain untrue. If anything, in my opinion, he was more of a charismatic salesman and shrewd business man than he was inventor.

As long as they don't try to give their CEOs Steve Job's Spiritual DNA.....

EDIT- Also, I think Steve Job's role in today's market was like Henry Ford in his day. Ford didn't invent the car- he just made it widely accessible and available to the masses.

People bought Ford's stuff because it was cheap and useful. People bought Job's stuff because it was beautiful and useful.

It's sad to see an industry leader pass. That is because he created so many jobs with his innovations.

That being said he was a notorious bully. He was not a charitable person. Someone recently compared him to Henry Ford. Henry Ford made cars readily available to the public. Steve Jobs made his products to be expensive, hard to incorporate and elitist.

Story

• Chaos locked this topic