5 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

Hoblim turned to Kelsier. "Umm... Kelsier? Isn't that eagle... a little heavy? I mean, he is very big." He seems to be a bit worried, and annoyed. "Just, one thing, why say just 'Tennessee'? We aren't all from the US, you know. I guess I'm the only one who isn't?"

With US that’s actually a much bigger error... That’s like saying “I see the EU as one big country so you’re all Europe to me. So just say you’re from Europe.”

6 hours ago, Random Bystander said:

"Wait, what? I can't believe it. The situation just got weirder."

“Her name is Verity,” Kelsier told him. “And the United States is a federation of semi-autonomous Sovereign States unified under a Federal government. The States have their own Constitutions, their own armies, their own taxation and penal systems. Each has a government of its own, its own flag and its own bird. More importantly,” his eye narrowed, “each has its own unique culture.

”United States refers to the Nation as a whole, or the Federal government in particular. It’s not a country. It’s composed of fifty semi-autonomous countries. If you want to know who someone is, you want to know which specific country they came from as opposed to the federation as a whole.”

There you go. The US is NOT a country. It’s fifty countries (Sovereign States) that joined together as a federation with Dual Sovereignty. The Federal government does NOT have full Sovereignty over the States. In fact, it can’t really act in the States without permission in many cases (like sending in the National Guard or giving funds without a State request).

The Federal government is the one responsible for interacting with foreign governments, which is why many foreigners don’t get this. Which is weird, because no one in the EU says they’re from the EU; they name their state of origin. So why do they expect us to do what they don’t? You think I know every minor European state?

Live in the US and it becomes clear: 250 years later, we still operate as 50 different countries, at least culturally. But very often in other ways as well.

And that ends today’s lecture on American Politics. To learn more read the United States Constitution. (Or my fanfic Assassins’ Creed Constitution, which goes over the events from the Treaty of Paris to the writing of the Constitution six years later.)

6 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

Hoblim turned to Kelsier. "Umm... Kelsier? Isn't that eagle... a little heavy? I mean, he is very big." He seems to be a bit worried, and annoyed. "Just, one thing, why say just 'Tennessee'? We aren't all from the US, you know. I guess I'm the only one who isn't?"

8 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

“Her name is Verity,” Kelsier told him. “And the United States is a federation of semi-autonomous Sovereign States unified under a Federal government. The States have their own Constitutions, their own armies, their own taxation and penal systems. Each has a government of its own, its own flag and its own bird. More importantly,” his eye narrowed, “each has its own unique culture.

”United States refers to the Nation as a whole, or the Federal government in particular. It’s not a country. It’s composed of fifty semi-autonomous countries. If you want to know who someone is, you want to know which specific country they came from as opposed to the federation as a whole.”

Very true. I mean, yeah, there are a few exceptions to this. People in the southern states often just say that they're from the South. Not always, but a lot of the time. (Something I don't get, even though I lived in Alabama for 5 years.)

Unless you are like me, and move a lot. Then it just gets confusing. "He's right." She told Hoblim. "The different states have different laws and leaders."

20 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Just now, Random Bystander said:

Unless you are like me, and move a lot. Then it just gets confusing. "He's right." She told Hoblim. "The different states have different laws and leaders."

"Oh." Hoblim said. "Um... Sorry, then. Though I don't really know where Tennessee is."

46 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

43 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

"Oh." Hoblim said. "Um... Sorry, then. Though I don't really know where Tennessee is."

Kelsier laughed. “Neither do I. I don’t know where most things are in your world. It’s the culture that tends to be more important than location for who people are.”

He gently stroked Verity’s feathers, listening to the soft pulse of the bond between them.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

11 hours ago, Random Bystander said:

"Well, I wasn't all dead. I was only mostly dead. And mostly dead is slightly alive." She was holding back a grin. Please get the reference.

10 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

Hoblim walks of the basement while answering. "Yeah." He said. "It's a weird name, I guess, but it has an interesting point, you see..."

Okay... so I can't do blood. Thinking of it, seeing it... and seeing a spike through someone's eye would definitely inspire thoughts of blood.

Faith followed Hoblim out of the basement. "An interesting point?" She saw Lilliana and put a hand to her mouth, eyes widening. Immediately, she thought of what would happen if someone shoved a spike through her eye... and could barely keep from throwing up. She turned away.

14 minutes ago, Condensation said:

Faith followed Hoblim out of the basement. "An interesting point?" She saw Lilliana and put a hand to her mouth, eyes widening. Immediately, she thought of what would happen if someone shoved a spike through her eye... and could barely keep from throwing up. She turned away.

Kelsier’s had an eye spike the whole time, lol.

Kelsier sighed internally, and soothed Faith’s disgust and horror, rioting her relief instead. It would be easier to keep the kids safe if they got along, and Faith’s seeming rejection - even if that wasn’t what it was - was not conducive to that end.

26 minutes ago, Condensation said:

Lilliana's grin faded. Well. There goes my attempts to try and make light of the situation. Dang it. I need to find a new way to break the ice. Hm... I can't think of anything... Eh, I'm sure I'll figure something out.

1 hour ago, Condensation said:

48 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Kelsier sighed internally, and soothed Faith’s disgust and horror, rioting her relief instead. It would be easier to keep the kids safe if they got along, and Faith’s seeming rejection - even if that wasn’t what it was - was not conducive to that end.

32 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

Lilliana's grin faded. Well. There goes my attempts to try and make light of the situation. Dang it. I need to find a new way to break the ice. Hm... I can't think of anything... Eh, I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Hoblim saw Faith climb up and... not getting well with what beneath the patch. He tried to think of something to say, but he was never good at helping people with such things. He started fidgeting with his pen.

I feel like the description you are giving to the USA is more of a confederation than the federation it is- I definitely wouldn't call them separate countries with extremely close relations, since states don't have any sort of diplomatic relations between each other at all. They're more districts with small chunks of autonomy.

Oh, and regarding culture, sure there's the stereotypes and there are definitely trends that span over regions, but I don't think it's accurate to say that each state has a different culture beyond what sports team they cheer for and some other minor differences.

Oh dear, Connie- sorry, Faith- doesnt seem to be taking this well.

"Uh. Are you okay Faith?"

Edited by AmazingGoob

4 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

True, but they're more subsets of each other than actual separate cultures. I would make a comparison to Germany, but I do not have anywhere near enough knowledge on that to use it.

17 minutes ago, AmazingGoob said:

Oh dear, Connie- sorry, Faith- doesnt seem to be taking this well.

"Uh. Are you okay Faith?"

Legally they are separate entities. That’s the entire concept of dual sovereignty on which the US is based. How much they operate like independent countries depends on the State in question. It used to be more and is now less.

You still need to arrange extradition if Mr. A commits a crime in State Y and flees to State Z, though. Some States acknowledge all gun licenses, while others don’t. If you buy things out of State, you’re supposed to pay the income tax of your State when you return (which no one really enforces, so...)

And States definitely negotiate with each other. There are treaties between States. It’s just that they aren’t that obvious on a daily basis unless you’re in the right industries.

The States have a LOT more autonomy than people realize. Less since the fourteenth and fifteenth amendments, but still quite a lot more than they use. They choose not to wield it because they don’t want to lose Federal funding.

The history of the United States constitution and government is fascinating. Prior to 14 and 15 the Bill of Rights did not apply to the States at all. Since then large portions have been said to apply, but what that means and how that’s interpreted gets complicated.

Federation means that the federal government is not beholden to the States. Confederation means it is beholden to them. This has no bearing on the independence of the individual states within those governmental structures (which is usually determined prior to accepting those governments), but on the level of autonomy given the unifying government.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

3 minutes ago, AmazingGoob said:

True, but they're more subsets of each other than actual separate cultures. I would make a comparison to Germany, but I do not have anywhere near enough knowledge on that to use it.

Me: *looks at the cultures of Alabama and California*

Also Me: *compares the two cultures* You sure about that?

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY! AHHHHHHHH! I HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING! "Um, Connie?" She had a bit of concern in her voice. "You're not going to puke, are you?" I hope she's okay... 

*Sighs*

Spoiler

Name: Definitely not Fadran Adrienne

Appearance: Picrew thing!

Spoiler

Adrienne.png.72e54bc17b3a577a91f7ef60671779b3.png

Apparently she really likes pink.

Skills: Ever since that one Scadrial RP died, I've lost my chance to use my coinshot sniper guy, so... here you go. Coinshot sniper.

Weaknesses: She's used to killing people and they weigh on her mind blah blah blah you guys have heard this all before.

Personality: Generally happy and straighforward gal. If she were a nen user, she'd be an Enhancer (I'm using Hunter x Hunter nen to determine people's personalities now). She also has a rare mental "disorder" (she calls it a superpower) that causes her to hear theme music playing in the background wherever she goes. Various places have different musical types and genres. Expect me to post links to playlists depending on where we are. (I might tie this into a Connection and Identity thing eventually, but for now this little quirk is quite undeveloped).

Backstory: She's been stuck in the Cosmere for [long amount of time] and has adapted to the society by learning how to SNIPE with coins.

Investure: Steel Allomancer and Brass Feruchemist

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

I just realized your character is twinborn. The characters are supposed to be mistings or ferrings so they aren't too powerful.

52 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

“Trésor,” Kelsier said abruptly, “we’re about to get another visitor. Be ready to pick them up. Braiser, you’ll go with her. I don’t want anyone working alone until this is settled.”

"What? Again? How many more of us are there going to be?" She said, confused.