Masquerade - These Masks We Wear

Zephrun’s Imperium

39 minutes ago, The Ward's Guard said:

"I don't see why he would. You're my wife."

"Caden, listen to me! Your guards hate me! They won't do anything I ask them to, they look at me as if they want to kill me, they've said horrible things about me, and they're convinced I've put you under a spell! Please, talk to them. They'll listen to you..."

On 8/11/2021 at 4:27 PM, Zephrun's Imperium said:

Allivia walked in and sat down next to Nico. "Hello, darling. In pain, are we?"

Nicolae started. "'Livia!"

"Yes, that's me. Good to see you again. Maybe now you'll think twice about denying me what I want, hmm?"

Nico glared. "I ain't yer slave no more, 'Livia. Do what you want to me, I intend to die a free man."

"A free man?" Allivia grinned. "You will never be free of me, Kimby. I will always be here, lurking in the shadows of your nightmares, breathing down your neck at every turn. And besides; you think you deserve to be free? After all you've done?"

"You mean what you done, 'Livia. I ain't done nothin', you been manipulatin' me from the beginnin'. I was 'leven yea's old a' the time, you think you could just rape me an' get away with it? I ain't yer slave! I's gonna tell the king whatcha done, and you's gonna be put away for a long time."

18 minutes ago, The Ward's Guard said:

"No, but exaggeration is not put of the question." He drew his hand back in, "and these men have been faithful to me for years."

“They seem to be disguising thier hated for me as loyalty to you.”

5 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

The mass pushed against Maverick's soul like a thorny vine passing through a thin tube. It wanted in, but it was being resisted.

Maverick screamed. He remembered something about not resisting the power, but it took everything in him to do that. 

Jasper approached the castle's walls, hoping the guards wouldn't immediately recognize him. He'd changed out the cloak he'd lost on the grounds for a simple blue one he'd stashed before coming here, and hopefully no one had gotten a good look at him, but he wished he had a better plan than walking up to the front gate.

16 hours ago, Zephrun's Imperium said:

Maverick screamed. He remembered something about not resisting the power, but it took everything in him to do that. 

The darkness entered Maverick's soul and expanded like a gas filling a container. It reached out tendrils, exploring its new abode.

Ivian had been pacing for an hour, trying to come to terms with what he'd written.

To the Baudelaire Estate,

It has come to my attention that the terms to our treaty will soon be expiring. My own relationship with your daughter is currently lacking, and I don't believe that any marriage will occur soon.

As such, I would like to negotiate an extension to our treaty.

Short, yes, and somwhat traitorous to his original goal. But a war wasn't what a nation he was trying to pull together from scratch needed. Looking back, that was probably the weakest link in his overall plan. He'd mended everything, from trade relations to the castle staff's working conditions. Even now he was sending workers out to mine ore, build roads, secure borders, and grow the kingdom's crops. He gave opportunities to the destitute and homeless; the beggar and the criminal.

Second chances.

"Send this to the head of the Baudelaire family," Ivian said, handing the envelope to a messenger. "Make sure to get their reply."

Dear Robin,

I hope this letter finds you in good health; happy, thriving, not dead--that kind of thing. I wish I could say the same for me.

In terms of dead I'm not quite physically there, though this creep named Allivia's certainly threated (and even tried) to kill me more than once. "Thriving" is not a word I'd use to describe the meager coin I get from scrubbing the toilets here. And also a drunk nobleman made me pregnant, so I always want to throw up and for some reason I've been craving dirt.

But I'm still going! I've got Arabella here with me; she has a friend, another waitress named Katie. I keep going for them. In that sense, I guess, you could say that I'm still happy despite it all.

Allivia's been less crazy as of late. I think all the Praetorium guards about have deterred her. In the meantime, I've spent plenty of time with--get this--Nicolae Kimby. He's not like you said he was, Robin; he was kind of like you before you left the castle. Remember that Allivia I mentioned? I guess you might've known her, but she was kind of using him; sort of like every nobleman husband ever, except Nico doesn't get pregnant, so she can keep going as long as she likes. It's completely disgusting and for that reason I got to punch her in the face. It felt good.

But, well... I kinda fell in love with him. Whoops.

Try not to die. Maybe one day you'll actually be able to read this. Until then... seeya.

~ Wendy

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

Who summoned me?!

Oh, I apologize for my tardiness.

On 8/22/2021 at 9:03 AM, Fallapede said:

Jasper approached the castle's walls, hoping the guards wouldn't immediately recognize him. He'd changed out the cloak he'd lost on the grounds for a simple blue one he'd stashed before coming here, and hopefully no one had gotten a good look at him, but he wished he had a better plan than walking up to the front gate.

"Ho there!" A guardsman wearing the colors of house Praetorium called out. His voice was clear despite the distance from the road to the overlook that stood above the front gate. "What business do you bring to the palace?"

Edited by The Ward's Guard

On 8/26/2021 at 6:31 AM, Fallapede said:

Jasper decided to go with something approximating the truth. "I am an emissary of Lord D'artan. He wishes to discuss with the king about the terms of Lady Alienor's marriage, as it may have an impact on trade within his lands."

"An emissary? You aren't expected."

On 8/19/2021 at 5:12 PM, Zephrun's Imperium said:

Nico glared. "I ain't yer slave no more, 'Livia. Do what you want to me, I intend to die a free man."

"A free man?" Allivia grinned. "You will never be free of me, Kimby. I will always be here, lurking in the shadows of your nightmares, breathing down your neck at every turn. And besides; you think you deserve to be free? After all you've done?"

"You mean what you done, 'Livia. I ain't done nothin', you been manipulatin' me from the beginnin'. I was 'leven yea's old a' the time, you think you could just rape me an' get away with it? I ain't yer slave! I's gonna tell the king whatcha done, and you's gonna be put away for a long time."

"Are you sure she's still in here?" The older sergeant asked as he raised a hand, signaling for the four men around him to get form around the door leading to the medical center, preparing to enter. The young man who positioned himself immediately opposite of the sergeant nodded, an intensity causing his stare to burn whatever he looked at. 

"No one has seen her leave, she must be in there, sir."

Sergeant Nowak nodded, "moving in on three."

Fischer took in a breath just as the sergeant started counting down, letting his eyes close for a moment to draw in the focus that he would need for this. He couldn't give in to his anger again, now that so many were nearby. His breath caught in his throat just as Nowak shouted for the men to move, shoving open the door, with their blades drawn as they scanned the room, Fischer's eyes landing on Allivia sitting next to Nico. The need to rush forward and shove aside that woman surged through him, but he bit his tongue to keep himself focused, the sharp pain piercing through the anger that clouded his mind. He hardly heard the words that Nowak spoke.

"Allivia Nordy, under authority of the Praetorium Guard, we place you under arrest for charges of assault, and bribery."