Masquerade - These Masks We Wear

Zephrun’s Imperium

"Well, clearly you're not." She nudged his shoulder. "You killed Daku for me earlier. You're my hero!" Riva wandered back over to the pot pie and cut into it, serving herself a slice. Though it tasted about as burnt as it smelled, she downed it with a smile to please him. "It tastes wonderful," the Raveness lied. "Now. You know what always makes me feel better?"

I feel like this is terrible, but I've spent far longer than I care to admit on it so I'm just gonna put it out here

Jasper awoke with a start, glancing around warily as he search for the snapping sound that had roused him. He relaxed slightly as he saw a deer moving through the nearby woods. Taking it as a sign to get moving, he grabbed the coat he'd been using as a pillow and climbed down from the tree he'd been sleeping in. It had been a week since the events of the ball, and he had to hope that things had calmed down somewhat during that time. Even if they haven't, I still have a job to do. Quietly this time, with no distractions. He checked his remaining knives to ensure that they were sharp and tight in their sheaths, and began striding silently towards the castle.

The guards clearly didn't like her.

Riva found them eyeing her from the corners of rooms like predators sizing up their prey. They certainly didn't obey her like they obeyed her husband and they made it quite clear that she was unwelcome in the Praetorium household. Everything from refusals to open doors to the aforementioned dirty looks made the former torturess feel more than a little threatened and on edge. 

As her quill scratched against parchment, she found herself looking up every few seconds to glare back at them, trying desperately to make them look away. This was her very own home, she had a right to be comfortable in it. Finally, after a few nigh-unbearable moments, she threw down her quill. "Stop staring at me, stars curse it! I am not an animal in a cage, I am a very angry, very powerful woman and so help me, if you don't keep your eyes down, I'll have you reported for eyeing the general's wife inappropriately! Maybe some time in the dungeons and under my knife will make you get over yourselves! Gah!" 

The doors flung open as Fischer forced his way through them, hardly noticing when Nowak tried to wave him down. He made his way to the back of the room, where he saw the captain filing away some paperwork into a small chest of drawers. The young man approached with a short salute, "sir, I have to report to you immediately."

The captain returned with a short salute, "better make it quick, soldier."

"Sir, I have seen evidence about a case of assault between a troublesome serving woman, and one of the King's men."

"If it was one of the palace guard, then they can handle it themselves," the captain said with a scoff. "They've made that abundantly clear to us."

Fischer shook his head, "no sir, not one of the guard. He's just a staff member, and a serving woman tried to kill him, and she's probably willing to do so again."

"I will not just go about arresting people on the staff. What evidence do you have?"

"I saw it myself, and I helped the young man arrive at the medical center."

The captain raised an eyebrow, "then it sounds as if you should have performed the arrest yourself, soldier."

"The uh, opportunity didn't present itself," Fischer said before clearing his throat.

"Then go file a report with the evidence, and we'll address it in turn." The older officer sighed, "I don't mean to sound callous, but we're just not cut out for this sort of work."

"Sir, I'm worried that she'll try to strike again, I request that we post a Praetorium man to watch over the medical ward."

"I'll order in one soldier." The captain thought on the subject a moment before looking back at Fischer, "do you know who in specific we need to watch out for?"

"Allivia Nordy, sir."

At the simple mentioning of the name, the captain froze before speaking hesitantly. "The same Allivia Nordy that's under investigation for bribery?"

"One in the same, sir."

The man did what passed for a smile. It was barely a twitch on his face, but he might as well be shouting in joy. "We've been needing a reason to arrest her. Do you know where she is now?"

Fischer stood up straighter, "I saw her heading towards the medical ward, where the man she attacked is resting."

The captain called over Nowak, "get some men together, sergeant. I have an assignment for you."

------

With his back straightened further than normal at the apparent challenge, the guard glared back at the former torturess. "The general knows where our loyalty lies, Raveness, and we know where his loyalty lies. The same cannot be said for you."