Masquerade - These Masks We Wear

Zephrun’s Imperium

"I've never had anyone else," she whispered. "I wasn't about to give up what we had. And... I'm glad I didn't. Because clearly you didn't mean what you did that night. It was a stupid mistakes, yes, but... It wasn't you. You care about me. And because of that, I owe you everything." Riva sighed. "Do you understand how nice it is to finally have someone? I've been stuck in the dungeon, alone, for eight decades."

Edited by Zephrun's Imperium

Suddenly it clicked for Riva. He'd been scared of loving her just a week ago. Scared because... "You blame yourself for her death. That's why you won't retire, you're trying to prove something. That's why you love me every day like you'll never see me again. Oh, my darling."

Edited by Zephrun's Imperium

"I know you did." She put her hands on his shoulders and began to rub them. "It's alright, okay? You can let it out now. I'm not going to judge you. I'm sure your father would have suppressed all the mourning you should have done... Deep breaths, alright?" She slowed her breathing to unconsciously encourage him to do the same.

"Tell that to the young man who was too late to even catch her last moments, her last breath." Caden demanded, "tell that to the man-" He clenched his fists, trying to fight away the tears that threatened to flow when he considered the moment again. "Tell that to the man who would have traded his life to feel her warmth, her loving embrace one last time."

"And you think I deserve your love? I've hurt thousands of people. Ripped families apart. Drank in screams and blood. Done horrific, unimaginable things. If anyone doesn't deserve this relationship, it's me." She laid her head on his chest, closing her eyes. "You can protest all you want. Say I'm worth it because I love you even when I shouldn't. But just remember. You loved the unlovable first."