Masquerade - These Masks We Wear

Zephrun’s Imperium

15 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

Alrighty, it's done you guys!!! :D I am so proud of this. 

It’s a shame I can’t give multiple upvotes for this, it’s great!

Jassir stood on the spot in front of the King, and his costume shifted to match the drawing, making the design canon instantly, because it was that good.

Ah, he thought. That’s better.

The king stood up, grunting as his joints creaked a little. He was much too old for parties; or having children, for that matter.

"Eleanor," he said to his betrothed, putting an honest effort into not growling at her. "I'll be going to bed now. You may... continue to familiarize yourself with the court. Share a few dances."

Ivian shook his head, then stalked off into the dark hallways to seek out a reprieve from the lights and noise. He noticed a decided lack of servant girls on his way through the passages; they'd all been taken into the bushes by other noblemen, most likely. Had his manservant not been standing beside him before he left, Ivian would've suspected that Nicolae had taken care of three on his own.

He didn't spare a glance at the line of King's Ladies standing in front of his bedroom door, though they spared plenty for him. Several of his assassins were sent from their parents to bear children of royal blood, regardless of legitimacy. Most of the ones here were as old as he was, however, and all were tired of their secondary duties to the kings they had served. It had been years since he had even considered using them, though several still released sighs of relief as he passed into his bedroom without a word to them.

Ivian dismissed several servants meant to dress and bathe him--he could change his own clothes, thank you very much. After switching into nightrobes, he blew out the candles and went to sleep.

@Condensation @Shard of Thought

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

32 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

The king stood up, grunting as his joints creaked a little. He was much too old for parties; or having children, for that matter.

"Eleanor," he said to his betrothed, putting an honest effort into not growling at her. "I'll be going to bed now. You may... continue to familiarize yourself with the court. Share a few dances."

Aliénor curtsied as the king left.

4 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

I'm going to pretend that Ivian just mispronounced her name or something...

Perfectly all right. I've been toying with telling people to cal her Eleanor just so they don't have to type the fancy é. I have it saved on my clipboard - although it is inconvenient when I go to a different computer.

Nicolae noticed too late that his king was gone. He probably should have followed him back to his room. Chuckling, he shrugged, picking at the food on his plate while surveying the ballroom for someone to dance with later. The queen-to-be stuck out to him. She was a nice one, he'd be looking forward to spending time around- er, serving her. He knew she was off-limits, but the king couldn't stop him from mooning over her. 

A glance at the Raveness, however, curtailed that line of thinking. 

Mostly. 

2 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Ivian shook his head, then stalked off into the dark hallways to seek out a reprieve from the lights and noise. He noticed a decided lack of servant girls on his way through the passages; they'd all been taken into the bushes by other noblemen, most likely. Had his manservant not been standing beside him before he left, Ivian would've suspected that Nicolae had taken care of three on his own.

He didn't spare a glance at the line of King's Ladies standing in front of his bedroom door, though they spared plenty for him. Several of his assassins were sent from their parents to bear children of royal blood, regardless of legitimacy. Most of the ones here were as old as he was, however, and all were tired of their secondary duties to the kings they had served. It had been years since he had even considered using them, though several still released sighs of relief as he passed into his bedroom without a word to them.

Ivian dismissed several servants meant to dress and bathe him--he could change his own clothes, thank you very much. After switching into nightrobes, he blew out the candles and went to sleep.

@Condensation @Shard of Thought

Seraphina watched as the king left. It was no longer necessary for her to be there, but they had just changed out the snacks they were providing. She'd leave after she tried some of them... Probably. She might just keep snacking.

General Caden strode through one of the palaces hallways with the captain of the King's guard trotting to keep at his heels. Caden growled in between sentences, not offering the captain a single glance as they continued to walk down the hallway. "Under the order of the King, you are to double the guards now. How you haven't suffered a break in yet amazes me boy, but that changes now; I'm assigning a regiment of my personal guard to watch over the King."

The captain nodded, however, he spoke an objection. "But uh, sir, the castle guard the the greatest in the land, that's why we're here."

Caden spun to face the captain, flaring his cape and backhanding the captain. "You and your band of idiots are nothing! Tell me, when have you last time that you have felt the taste of battle, heard the screams of your allies and enemies dying, the smell of blood in the air boy?"

The captain reeled back from the strike to his face, feeling blood run down his cheek from where the general's armor plate on his forearm hit him. He grit his teeth, "but sir, it's our mission to defend the King, at all costs." He stood up to the general, "I do what's best for the King's safety, and no one can change that."

Caden stood up to loom over the captain, "then do what's best, and stand aside for my men to take charge. You may have the best training, but my men have fought and stood through the fires of combat; more than that, they have come out stronger and harder than any of you pitiful boys could ever dream of! They are the best, and you will allow them to take the posts nearest to the King in order to protect him, do you understand, boy?"

The captain hesitated, but then nodded, "if those are your orders sir."

Caden simply turned back and continued walking, "you're not off the hook captain, my men are only to aid you in the defense of the castle. Call up all of your reserves, I will be taking no chances tonight." Caden continued to speak as they came to turn in the hallway, "I'll be forced to rely on having your boys stay on guard for the majority of the castle grounds, but the central keep will have my men, and no one is to leave their posts unless given instruction or-" Caden look up as he saw someone approaching, placing his hand on his arming sword's hilt.

@Fallapede

4 minutes ago, The Ward's Guard said:

General Caden strode through one of the palaces hallways with the captain of the King's guard trotting to keep at his heels. Caden growled in between sentences, not offering the captain a single glance as they continued to walk down the hallway. "Under the order of the King, you are to double the guards now. How you haven't suffered a break in yet amazes me boy, but that changes now; I'm assigning a regiment of my personal guard to watch over the King."

The captain nodded, however, he spoke an objection. "But uh, sir, the castle guard the the greatest in the land, that's why we're here."

Caden spun to face the captain, flaring his cape and backhanding the captain. "You and your band of idiots are nothing! Tell me, when have you last time that you have felt the taste of battle, heard the screams of your allies and enemies dying, the smell of blood in the air boy?"

The captain reeled back from the strike to his face, feeling blood run down his cheek from where the general's armor plate on his forearm hit him. He grit his teeth, "but sir, it's our mission to defend the King, at all costs." He stood up to the general, "I do what's best for the King's safety, and no one can change that."

Caden stood up to loom over the captain, "then do what's best, and stand aside for my men to take charge. You may have the best training, but my men have fought and stood through the fires of combat; more than that, they have come out stronger and harder than any of you pitiful boys could ever dream of! They are the best, and you will allow them to take the posts nearest to the King in order to protect him, do you understand, boy?"

The captain hesitated, but then nodded, "if those are your orders sir."

Caden simply turned back and continued walking, "you're not off the hook captain, my men are only to aid you in the defense of the castle. Call up all of your reserves, I will be taking no chances tonight." Caden continued to speak as they came to turn in the hallway, "I'll be forced to rely on having your boys stay on guard for the majority of the castle grounds, but the central keep will have my men, and no one is to leave their posts unless given instruction or-" Caden look up as he saw someone approaching, placing his hand on his arming sword's hilt.

@Fallapede

"Ah, hello there, sir. Are you in charge of maintaining this palace's defenses? If so, I feel it necessary to call attention to certain deficiencies. If I might have a moment of your time?"

3 minutes ago, Fallapede said:

"Ah, hello there, sir. Are you in charge of maintaining this palace's defenses? If so, I feel it necessary to call attention to certain deficiencies. If I might have a moment of your time?"

Caden growled, but he seemed to more or less be holding his peace as he spared a glare for the captain. "Speak then."