Masquerade - These Masks We Wear

Zephrun’s Imperium

Aelyon meandered aimlessly around the room, paying close attention to the snippets of news and gossip that drifted into her ear as she glided past various conversations. She learnt that basically nothing had drastically changed in the time she'd been away I guess that makes things easier. Tonight she needed to find an ally and she had no idea where to start; her original plan had been to single out the princess, but she was occupied with a Dellré, a house that was way out of her league for the moment. Hvenker and Dellre used to have a similar amount of influence, but not anymore; Hvenkar was currently about to drown in bankruptcy. The Hvenkar/Dellre relationship would probably have to wait for another day. She really didn't fancy holding conversation with Cadan, he would probably call her something along the lines of 'lout', Jassir would probably do something similar in a more clever and humoristic way. She sighed, maybe she was misjudging the court, but she couldn't shake the feeling that she wasn't welcome here. 

Maverick would probably be the safest option, but while he'd was smart enough, he didn't have the flare for politicking that Aelyon needed to meddle with at the moment in order for her save House Hvenkar. Perhaps she would say hi to him when her status at court was re-established, but at the moment Aelyon needed to aim higher, now was not a time for her to play the game safe. A well placed risk could lead to either a swift uprising or it would pull out the final straw holding Havenkar from its brutal demise.  Ayleon suppressed a grimmance at the thought. 

So, she lifted her chin high and opted to do something truly desperate. Aelyon turned and approached The Raveness, and she was terrified. Let her fellow couriters see her braving what they were afraid of, and making friend of whom they hated. 

@Shard of Thought

Riva cocked her head as the Lady approached. Well, well, well, she thought. This had ought to be interesting. She hadn't been approached at a ball in a very long time. It was about time for a change. What do you want? You approach me for a reason, young one. Let's find out what it is, shall we? 

"Who dares approach the Raveness?" Riva bellowed.

@Lecky Twig

Uh... I don't have any bounty hunter characters? Or any characters in the forest plot. Are you just tagging me so I can plan stuff? 

@The Unknown Order

10 hours ago, Robin Custos said:

Robin turned to Wendy ¨ I don´t know Wendy my brain is about to explode. I´m just waiting for the King to send someone after us, and I blame myself everyone parents deaths, and now my father is somehow alive and able to mysteriously contact me. Not only that, but he somehow has access to the Kings Highway, and knows that is the main place where I steal from.¨

Robin dropped to the floor. She could imagine the shock on the face of the girl standing next to her, as she saw her usually vibrant happy leader breaking down. Robin was always bad at wearing a mask, but she could always mask her pain. Finding out her father was still alive changed things, and she new that this new crack in her mask was just the beginning of a shattering wave of events he had planned.

"Are... you okay?"

7 hours ago, The Unknown Order said:

Someone would need to send out bounty hunters. The king only recently discovered Robin has betrayed him, but sending bounty hunters after Robin sound like something her father would do. Does someone want to be a bounty hunter, or should it just happen because I can see the bounty hunter dying?

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Are... you okay?"

Robin replaced her cracked mask, stood up, and wiped her tears away. She turned to Wendy with a smile on her tear stained face.

¨I´m fine. Could you take this dress, and put in storage. I would tell you to put it in Arabellas tent, but we need to move the camp. My father must know we´re here and I don´t want any of you getting hurt. Also gather everyone together so I can tell them the news. Can you do that for me?¨

22 minutes ago, Robin Custos said:

Robin replaced her cracked mask, stood up, and wiped her tears away. She turned to Wendy with a smile on her tear stained face.

¨I´m fine. Could you take this dress, and put in storage. I would tell you to put it in Arabellas tent, but we need to move the camp. My father must know we´re here and I don´t want any of you getting hurt. Also gather everyone together so I can tell them the news. Can you do that for me?¨

"I..." Wendy swallowed. "Okay."

Seraphina had finished her snacks. She was getting worried. She was almost finished with her book, and she didn't want to start socializing. She wanted to go back to her room, and get the other book she had just bought. It apparently happened on the same world, and was called The Empress's Soul. What if, once she finished the book, someone came up to her and asked her to dance?! She shuddered. Then she got up, and refilled her plate. She hurried back to the table, and started reading Elantris her book again.

4 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

Riva cocked her head as the Lady approached. Well, well, well, she thought. This had ought to be interesting. She hadn't been approached at a ball in a very long time. It was about time for a change. What do you want? You approach me for a reason, young one. Let's find out what it is, shall we? 

"Who dares approach the Raveness?" Riva bellowed.

Aelyon gulped as the Raveness’ voice resounded through the room. Don’t be scared, don’t be scared don’t be scared. She reset herself in a new mindset that would more likely get herself through the next conversation in one piece.

Aelyon’s lips quirked up as the Raveness’ voice resounded through the room. Good, let everybody know that I’m approaching the most formidable person here. “Hello Raveness, you’re looking stunning tonight. I believe you already know who I am since you did, after all, exterminate a son of mine. But that was the past and now is the present; say, Raveness what’s it like being intimidating beyond courtly approachability?”

Riva's face fell to a flat expression. This one was brave, sure. But all she wanted was to get a look at her. Well. Riva was about to give that woman exactly what she wanted to see.

Her blood-red lips curved up into an evil-looking smile. "No, I'm sorry, I have no idea who you are. What was your son's name? I don't remember him by your face. Probably because he was too mutilated to be recognizable by the time I was done with him."

18 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

Riva's face fell to a flat expression. This one was brave, sure. But all she wanted was to get a look at her. Well. Riva was about to give that woman exactly what she wanted to see.

Her blood-red lips curved up into an evil-looking smile. "No, I'm sorry, I have no idea who you are. What was your son's name? I don't remember him by your face. Probably because he was too mutilated to be recognizable by the time I was done with him."

“Is that the case? I thought you would’ve researched enough to be able to recognise the lady of his household. But like I said, that was the past.” Though grief was pumping through Aelyon’s heart, all she needed was to be seen talking to the Raveness, any other positives coming out of this conversation would be a bonus. “And it’s not like you’re new to court or anything, it really is a shame that you can’t recognise me for who I was. I’ll admit, I haven’t attended any social events in about a month so I guess you get a pass for that.” If the Raveness  didn’t pick out that she was the lady of house Hvenkar from that string of clues, than the Raveness was more withdrawn from the court than Aelyon had thought.

17 hours ago, Negative_Null said:

"Well, I think you should, that way I can call you an idle idol, which is entirely too fun to pass up. Of course, that problem does need to be fixed. Will you afford me the pleasure of a dance?"

"I would love to, I'm sure. However, I'm not entirely sure it would be proper... Sir Kimby, what do you think?"

1 hour ago, Shard of Thought said:

Ooh! Absolutely marvelous. I hope you don't mind if I download that one.

Spoiler

Also, when I say "growl" or something similar, I'm imagining something like this.

If I could add anything else that I imagined him with, it would be armor plating on his forearms and an arming sword at his side. But seriously, that's more or less how I pictured him; although I didn't think of the sleeveless, good call.

Edited by The Ward's Guard