Masquerade - These Masks We Wear

Zephrun’s Imperium

3 hours ago, The Ward's Guard said:

"if you weren't a jester, I would have killed you long ago. Go pester someone who doesn't want you dead yet."

“Coincidentally,” Jassir said. “That just so happens to be one person in the entire kingdom, and the last person you’d expect.” Did the Raveness want him dead?

He glanced towards the King’s Lady laughing and he grinned. What was a performer without an audience?

“Of course, I would never dare you call you a dog now,” Jassir said with fake solemnity.

“You’re very powerful, of course, barking orders at young attendants, howling at the enemy. I’m sure the idea of fighting in the ball was very fetching for you, too.” 

Edited by I think I am here.

Just now, I think I am here. said:

“Coincidentally,” Jassir said. “That just so happens to be one person in the entire kingdom, and the last person you’d expect.” Did the Raveness want him dead.

He glanced towards the King’s Lady laughing and he grinned. What was a performer without an audience?

“Of course, I would never dare you call you a dog now,” Jassir said with fake solemnity.

“You’re very powerful, of course, barking orders at young attendants, howling at the enemy. I’m sure the idea of fighting in the ball was very fetching for you, too.” 

Seraphina lost it. She was laughing so hard, tears were coming out of her eyes. She liked this jester. He was good at making fun of people.

1 minute ago, I think I am here. said:

“Coincidentally,” Jassir said. “That just so happens to be one person in the entire kingdom, and the last person you’d expect.” Did the Raveness want him dead.

Caden nodded for a moment, looking smug once again before stopping suddenly when the King's Lady started laughing. Realization dawned on his face, and he grabbed the hilt of his blade. "If you want a fight, then I can give you one."

1 minute ago, The Ward's Guard said:

Caden nodded for a moment, looking smug once again before stopping suddenly when the King's Lady started laughing. Realization dawned on his face, and he grabbed the hilt of his blade. "If you want a fight, then I can give you one."

Seraphina tried to get her laughing under control. Once she did, she tried to keep a straight face. She turned toward the first man. "If I threw a stick, you'd leave, right?" She struggled to keep a straight face.

5 minutes ago, The Ward's Guard said:

“If you want a fight, then I can give you one."

Jassir just lifted his hands, unafraid of death, though the possibility he could nick a nifty scar did unsettle him a bit.

“Oh, no,” he said, raising a hand to his head and stifling a laugh. He glanced towards the minor nobleman who’d stood up to Caden before.

“Hey!” He called out. “Where‘s my muscly saviour? I think I deserve one, too, frankly.”

@Shard of Thought

Jassir just lifted his hands, unafraid of death, though the possibility he could nick a nifty scar did unsettle him a bit.

“Oh, no,” he said, raising a hand to his head. He glanced towards the minor nobleman who’d stood up to Caden before.

“Hey!” He called out. “Where‘s my muscly saviour? I think I deserve one, too, frankly.”

@Shard of Thought

Seraphina started cracking up again.

Oh, fine, Riva thought. He did deserve one. Cadon was a bully and if he ended up in her dungeons, Riva wouldn't complain for a moment. The Raveness strode up to the action, her feathered dress dragging on the floor. Its skirt was designed to make it look as if she were floating. "What seems to be the problem here?" she asked in her smooth, alto voice, slender hands on her hips. 

15 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

Oh, fine, Riva thought. He did deserve one. Cadon was a bully and if he ended up in her dungeons, Riva wouldn't complain for a moment. The Raveness strode up to the action, her feathered dress dragging on the floor. Its skirt was designed to make it look as if she were floating. "What seems to be the problem here?" she asked in her smooth, alto voice, slender hands on her hips. 

Caden was wound up and ready to snap until he turned and saw the Raveness, which caused his face to pale to the color of his shoulder pauldrons. He felt his anger welling up in him, but he he only opened and closed his mouth, seemingly lost for words. He shouted wordlessly and turned away from the group, striding towards the King's table, fuming and grumbling all the way.

1 minute ago, The Ward's Guard said:

Caden was wound up and ready to snap until he turned and saw the Raveness, which caused his face to pale to the color of his shoulder pauldrons. He felt his anger welling up in him, but he he only opened and closed his mouth, seemingly lost for words. He shouted wordlessly and turned away from the group, striding towards the King's table, fuming and grumbling all the way.

Seraphina deflated after he left. She was very glad to have been there to see the entire fiasco, but wished the jester could have gotten a few more words in. He had some serious skill.

Riva smirked as she watched Cadan leave, then bowed dramatically to Jassir. "You have been saved, my good jester," she said flatly. She turned to walk away, then peered over her bare shoulder. "You know, I'd take a favor as payment."

Just now, Fallapede said:

I was working on a post for like 20 minutes and I accidentally refreshed the page on instinct and now I have to start over aaaa

That is way too relatable. :( Take my upvotes, sir. 

1 minute ago, Shard of Thought said:

Riva smirked as she watched Cadan leave, then bowed dramatically to Jassir. "You have been saved, my good jester," she said flatly. She turned to walk away, then peered over her bare shoulder. "You know, I'd take a favor as payment."

Jassir watched in wonder as the Raveness intimidated the general himself. Of course, he knew her power in the court, but it was rare to see it exercised  so publicly like this.

He grinned. “Not muscly, but a saviour all the same. I’ll take it. A favour? Now, what would that be?”

Now, that was interesting. What could the head torturess of the King need from someone like him? The thought was enticing.

He watched the King’s Lady who’d been laughing seem down after Caden left, so he leaned in for a moment for one final quip.

“Hey,” he whispered. “Looks like his bark was worse than his bite, after all.”

@Random Bystander

"I don't know, Jassir," said Riva. "But I'll call upon you when I need you." She winked and walked away, hips swaying back and forth fluidly as she did so.

I think I know what the favor will be already and I am SO excited. It won't be for a good long while though. I can PM you if you'd like to know a little more about Riva and where her character is going.

6 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Jassir watched in wonder as the Raveness intimidated the general himself. Of course, he knew her power in the court, but it was rare to see it exercised  so publicly like this.

He grinned. “Not muscly, but a saviour all the same. I’ll take it. A favour? Now, what would that be?”

Now, that was interesting. What could the head torturess of the King need from someone like him? The thought was enticing.

He watched the King’s Lady who’d been laughing seem down after Caden left, so he leaned in for a moment for one final quip.

“Hey,” he whispered. “Looks like his bark was worse than his bite, after all.”

@Random Bystander

Seraphina choked, and started coughing. Once she stopped choking, she started laughing. "You're good!" She grinned.

Edited by Random Bystander

11 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

“I don't know, Jassir," said Riva. "But I'll call upon you when I need you." She winked and walked away, hips swaying back and forth fluidly as she did so.

“You’re keeping me, the Jester, in suspense?” Jassir leaned back and smiled, watching the Raveness leave just elegantly as she’d entered. “My, my, you are an evil woman.”

7 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

Seraphina choked, and started coughing. Once she stopped choking, she started laughing. "You're good!" She grinned.

Jassir turned back to the King’s Lady and grinned.

“Thank you. If I wasn’t, I’d probably be hung, drawn and quartered by the king. You could say my life depends on you laughing.” A lie, but a fun one. He tilted his head.

“Say, what book is that?”

You’ve intrigued me, Thought. I’d be very interested in that PM about Riva :) 

Jasper moved slowly through the underbrush, surveying the palace. He noted the positions of the guard and estimated their lines of sight, inching around the perimeter until he found an area out of direct view, where he would have a clear path to the wall. He waited to make sure there was no position change imminent, and crept across the open ground between the forest and the wall before scaling the wall as quickly as he dared. As he planned his next move, he heard the distinct rustle of paper, and realization dawned on him. He'd only been planning to infiltrate the palace in the first place because he'd lost his invitation. Now that he'd apparently found it again, all Jasper had actually managed to do was sneak into somewhere he was supposed to be. Not bothering to remove the leaves or twigs from his hair, he slipped down the stairs into the palace proper.

Edited by Fallapede

“You’re keeping me, the Jester, in suspense?” Jassir leaned back and smiled, watching the Raveness leave just elegantly as she’d entered. “My, my, you are an evil woman.”

Jassir turned back to the King’s Lady and grinned.

“Thank you. If I wasn’t, I’d probably be hung, drawn and quartered by the king. You could say my life depends on you.” A lie, but a fun one. He tilted his head.

“Say, what book is that?”

"A Tale of Silver and Gold. It's pretty good. At least, so far."

8 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

"A Tale of Silver and Gold. It's pretty good. At least, so far."

“They all start out pretty good,” Jassir said, gesturing to the book. “Then, the main character dies and you question why you even bought it in the first place.” He’d read a lot of books as a kid, and had his heart broken by many of them.

He smiled at the King’s Lady. “What’s it about? Hopefully not something as dreadfully boring as a Royal ball, I hope.”

2 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“They all start out pretty good,” Jassir said, gesturing to the book. “Then, the main character dies and you question why you even bought it in the first place.” He’d read a lot of books as a kid, and had his heart broken by many of them.

He smiled at the King’s Lady. “What’s it about? Hopefully not something as dreadfully boring as a Royal ball, I hope.”

"Oh, It's kind of complicated, but basically there are 3 main characters. The first is a prince who got cursed by this magic plague thing, and now has to live in a city with others like him. The magic plague thing used to be a good thing, but then it changed for some reason. It made it so that he is basically a magic zombie. The next character is a princess who got betrothed to the prince. Everyone thinks he died, and she thinks the prince's father did it. But he didn't die, so... Yeah. And then there is the last main character. He's the antagonist, a priest who has to convert the kingdom, or it will go up in smoke. He is using the city that the prince is in as a scapegoat. Oh, and the prince is trying to reclaim the city's fallen magic."

No, this isn't based on Elantris. Why would you think that...

26 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

Oh, and the prince is trying to reclaim the city's fallen magic."

Jassir listened intently, and tried to catch a glimpse of the author’s name, so he could see more books like it.

Sandon Branderson.

“Tell me,” he asked the King’s Lady. “Is there a Jester in this story?”