Masquerade - These Masks We Wear

Zephrun’s Imperium

Just now, Shard of Thought said:

Maverick rolled his grey eyes and folded his wiry arms. "I have backbone enough to stand up to you, so it seems. I would venture to say that you're the coward here, bullying a perfectly harmless young lady for no reason."

Caden clenched his fists at the insult, glaring at anyone who would make eye contact. "Filth! If you want to die protecting this 'harmless woman,' then make it quick. If not, return to your muddy hole of a home and die like the insect you are. The I can go back to being bored out of my skull like the rest of these cotton-heads."

4 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

Maverick rolled his grey eyes and folded his wiry arms. "I have backbone enough to stand up to you, so it seems. I would venture to say that you're the coward here, bullying a perfectly harmless young lady for no reason."

Seraphina listened to the conversation, and choked when the newcomer said she was harmless. She started coughing into her fist to hide a giggle. 

1 minute ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Nice.

Do you have anything for his character besides that he’s just chummy with the King? I’d be interested in playing a character that someone else made, could be fun.

Maverick resisted the urge to chuckle in time with the lady. "I find it odd, sir, that despite your high title, you are so insulted by the words of a low ranking noble. It appears you want to fight with me physically because you lack the ability to duel with words. I'm truly sorry for your lack in that skill."

2 minutes ago, Dannex said:

Nice.

Do you have anything for his character besides that he’s just chummy with the King? I’d be interested in playing a character that someone else made, could be fun.

I imagine he's pretty influential, and I thought that it'd be too cliche if he was secretely working behind the king's back, so I was picturing some pretty heavy loyalty. Other than that, shoot for the moon!

Just now, Shard of Thought said:

Maverick resisted the urge to chuckle in time with the lady. "I find it odd, sir, that despite your high title, you are so insulted by the words of a low ranking noble. It appears you want to fight with me physically because you lack the ability to duel with words. I'm truly sorry for your lack in that skill."

Seraphina was having trouble controlling herself. Once she got her laughing under control and straightened her face, she looked at the first man. "If you really want to fight, I suppose I could help with that..."

1 minute ago, Shard of Thought said:

Caden stood his straight in an attempt to loom over the man and laughed a malevolent chuckle, "I'd rather beat you like the filth you are than endure another moment of this dull event." He reached for his side arm before looking towards the king's table and he then growled in annoyance, "what is your name and title, boy?"

Just now, The Ward's Guard said:

Caden stood his straight in an attempt to loom over the man and laughed a malevolent chuckle, "I'd rather beat you like the filth you are than endure another moment of this dull event." He reached for his side arm before looking towards the king's table and he then growled in annoyance, "what is your name and title, boy?"

Seraphina whipped the knife out of her bag, and looked at the man calmly. "Chose your next actions very carefully." She said it very slowly.

Since Cadan was only an inch taller than Maverick and Maverick had exceptional posture, it was rather hard for him to feel cowed. He cleared his throat. "If you intend to report me to the king, I doubt you'll be met with much support from him. A petty argument with a baron? Embarassing. All the same, my name is-" 

He cut off when the lady drew a dagger, eyebrows raising with surprise. Well then... he thought, feeling foolish. This girl probably hadn't needed his help after all. That was unexpected.

Edited by Shard of Thought

10 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

Since Cadan was only an inch taller than Maverick and Maverick had exceptional posture, it was rather hard for him to feel cowed. He cleared his throat. "If you intend to report me to the king, I doubt you'll be met with much support from him. A petty argument with a baron? Embarassing. Even still my name is-" 

He cut off when the lady drew a dagger, eyebrows raising with surprise. Well then... he thought, feeling foolish. This girl probably hadn't needed his help after all. That was unexpected.

Caden gripped his blade, and looked as if he wanted to cut Maverick off before the woman spoke.

12 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

Seraphina whipped the knife out of her bag, and looked at the man calmly. "Chose your next actions very carefully." She said it very slowly.

Caden sneered, "a king's lady? I would've suspected nothing less from someone like you. Tell me, you plan on branding yourself a traitor tonight?"

Edited by The Ward's Guard

14 minutes ago, The Ward's Guard said:

Caden gripped his blade, and looked as if he wanted to cut Maverick off before the woman spoke.

Caden sneered, "a king's lady? I would've suspected nothing less from someone like you. Tell me, you plan on branding yourself a traitor tonight?"

"No. However, I don't take death threats, whether to myself or those around me, lightly."

Edited by Random Bystander

12 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

"No. However, I don't take death threats, whether to myself or those around me, lightly.

Caden's eyes darted from Maverick to the King's Lady, and he then laughed. "I've already enjoyed this more than any other pathetic ball. Tell me, who will strike first and brand themselves as the traitor to the crown?"

Caden's eyes darted from Maverick to the King's Lady, and he then laughed. "I've already enjoyed this more than any other pathetic ball. Tell me, who will strike first and brand themselves as the traitor to the crown?"

Seraphina calmly put away her knife. "That was a warning in case you were about to do something... stupid." She turned to the other man. "Thank you." She then sat back down and opened her book again.

@Shard of Thought

11 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

Seraphina calmly put away her knife. "That was a warning in case you were about to do something... stupid." She turned to the other man. "Thank you." She then sat back down and opened her book again.

@Shard of Thought

Caden chuckled again, looking smugly at Seraphina. "How long is it before your father becomes a traitor King's Lady? How long will it be before I'm sent to kill him? Hopefully not long, I quite enjoyed killing the last one." Caden turned towards the King's table, flaring his cape behind him in an attempt to leave before Seraphina could respond.

I might've made another antagonist, whoops. Then again, I designed him after an antagonist, so yeah, I should've seen this one coming.

Edited by The Ward's Guard

1 minute ago, Shard of Thought said:

The blood rushed back to Maverick's face. "You're welcome," he muttered sheepishly. Then he sighed, walking back to his own table to read his own book. As he did so, he peeked over the cover of it to see what the King's Lady was reading.

I don't actually know what she is reading... you can make something up if you want.

Seraphina turned a page, and took another bite of cake.

4 hours ago, Dannex said:

Do you have anything for his character besides that he’s just chummy with the King? I’d be interested in playing a character that someone else made, could be fun.

Just spitballing here: maybe he’s secretly even worse morality-wise than the king :P A super loyal sociopathic best friend? Perhaps a secret lover of the King but is sad the king can never reciprocate? Maybe some cool thematic role like the Head of Religion or something? (No idea how much power the Church has in Mendahar or what religion they follow, though it can still be interesting). Or going the other way, he might be Ivian’s moral compass, and see the king as a younger brother, feels protective over him?

Jassir watched a scuffle happen from a distance and cursed under his breath, hopping off his staff and glancing back to the Raveness with a look of sudden seriousness.

“Apologies,” he said. “I’ll be back.”

With that, he dropped his staff and cartwheeled over to the group, a rush of colourful tassels and intricate flips as he bounced energetically between Caden and the minor noble he was going against, tiny between two giants.

“Hey, gentlemen!” He said with a sickly grin, the bells on the side of his hat tinkling.

“While there’s no greater pleasure to me than to see two ‘civilised’ men brawling like animals in the middle of a ballroom, maybe... actually, never mind.”

He jumped back suddenly and clapped his hands. Why should he have to break up fights? It was their fault for starting them!

“Everyone! Take a look at this!” He called out, pointing to Caden and the minor noble. “General Caden’s getting into another fight! My money’s on the noble.”

“No way,” a young nobleman whispered from next to him. “Jester, do you see General Caden?”

Jassir just smiled back. “If Caden loses this fight,” he said. “Then I’m taking your shoes. If he wins....” he paused. “I’ll tell you the Raveness’ favourite colour.”

Now this ball was shaping up to be something fun.

@Shard of Thought

@The Ward's Guard

Ahhh, ninja’d. What can I expect with such a long post? :P Also, love the poses in your drawing, Thought :D 

Edited by I think I am here.

1 minute ago, I think I am here. said:

Jassir watched a scuffle happen from a distance and cursed under his breath, hopping off his staff and glancing back to the Raveness with a look of sudden seriousness.

With that, he dropped his staff and cartwheeled over to the group, a rush of colourful tassels and intricate flips as he bounced energetically between Caden and the minor noble he was going against, tiny between two giants.

“Hey, gentlemen!” He said with a sickly grin, the bells on the side of his hat tinkling.

“While there’s no greater pleasure to me than to see two ‘civilised’ men brawling like animals in the middle of a brawl, maybe... actually, never mind.”

He jumped back suddenly and clapped his hands. Why should he have to break up fights? It was their fault for starting them?

“Everyone! Take a look at this!” He called out, pointing to Caden and the minor noble. “General Caden’s getting into another fight! My money’s on the noble.”

“No way,” a young nobleman whispered from next to him. “Jester, do you see General Caden?”

Jassir just smiled back. “If Caden loses this fight,” he said. “Then I’m taking your shoes. If he wins....” he paused. “I’ll tell you the Raveness’ favourite colour.”

@Shard of Thought

@The Ward's Guard

That's ah . . . that's fascinating timing.

5 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“While there’s no greater pleasure to me than to see two ‘civilised’ men brawling like animals in the middle of a brawl, maybe... actually, never mind.”

He jumped back suddenly and clapped his hands. Why should he have to break up fights? It was their fault for starting them?

@Shard of Thought

@The Ward's Guard

Seraphina started coughing into her fist again.

7 minutes ago, The Ward's Guard said:

That's ah . . . that's fascinating timing.

:P #JustJesterThings

And then... the fight was over. The nobleman continued to their seats without even a scratch.

“Come on!” Jassir said, throwing his hands up. He looked to General Caden.

“Caden! Not even a light shove? A slug across the face? Tsk tsk, you’ve tamed since last ball. Was it because I called you the king’s dog last time? I promise, if you get in this brawl I will never sully your poor, noble name like that ever again.”

Jassir smiled.

Edited by I think I am here.

And then... the fight was over. The nobleman continued to their seats without even a scratch.

“Caden! Not even a light shove? A slug across the face. Tsk tsk, you’ve tamed since last ball. Was it because I called you the king’s dog last time? I promise, if you get in this brawl I will never sully your poor, noble name like that ever again.”

Jassir smiled.

Seraphina's coughing got louder as she attempted to hide her laughter.

2 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

Seraphina turned a page, and took another bite of cake.

A Tale of Silver and Gold, Maverick read. "Hmm," he muttered to himself. It was a fantasy novel, one he'd read before, years ago. He'd rather liked it when he was younger. As he'd grown, however, his interests for free-reading had turned towards more grounded mystery novels like the one he read now. He considered getting up to ask the young lady to dance - and even started getting out of his seat to do so - then chickened out, blushing. She was a King's Lady!

Even still, he could hear his brother's mocking voice in his head: You coward! C'mon, brother, you haven't danced with anyone in years. Have yourself a little fun for once, get your head out of those books. 

Maverick blushed deeper and smiled, shaking his head. He hunched beneath his novel's pages to hide his red face. 

It's kinda good he's too shy to dance. He's like 29 and he doesn't know she's 16. :lol:

“Caden! Not even a light shove? A slug across the face. Tsk tsk, you’ve tamed since last ball. Was it because I called you the king’s dog last time? I promise, if you get in this brawl I will never sully your poor, noble name like that ever again.”

Jassir smiled.

Caden snarled as he turned to see that it was Jassir, swiping aside his cape as he faced the Court Fool. "I am no 'dog!' I command armies that force enemies of the king to tremble in fear!" He took a breath, "if you weren't a jester, I would have killed you long ago. Go pester someone who doesn't want you dead yet."

Caden snarled as he turned to see that it was Jassir, swiping aside his cape as he faced the Court Fool. "I am no 'dog!' I command armies that force enemies of the king to tremble in fear!" He took a breath, "if you weren't a jester, I would have killed you long ago. Go pester someone who doesn't want you dead yet."

As soon as he reacted, Seraphina started cracking up. His reaction was the funniest part of the conversation.

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Ivian laughed and joked with his fellows, dropping the occasional hint to sow a rumor. His eyes turned to the girl at his side, however, and bent down into a scowl. Somewhere in his mind, he quietly told herself that she wasn't her father; just an emissary sent to legitimize connections. She represented the Kingdom of Jolie, however, as well as the entire Baudelaire family: The bitter enemies of his family for as far back as they could remember.

No, she wasn't her father. The child wouldn't have to bear an heir for him: he wouldn't punish her for what her father had done. Leaving her untouched would be a small recompense for the real reason why he needed her here.

@Condensation

Aliénor noticed the king scowling at her. Inwardly, she winced. "My lord? Is there something... wrong?"