What did marize give raboniel

Pratyaksh

12 hours ago, Honorless said:

He gave her the silver chain Kaladin saw in Shadesmar in Oathbringer and White Sand from Taldain

Is this confirmed by some WoB?

Because  my innitial thought was that were the metalmind rings (duralumin ones) he took from Feruchemists corpse.

1 hour ago, Bzhydack said:

Is this confirmed by some WoB?

Because  my innitial thought was that were the metalmind rings (duralumin ones) he took from Feruchemists corpse.

No, I assumed it from the in-world Rhythm of War, where Raboniel talks about the chain and sand, she also talks about the latter with Navani.

Oh that reminds me! Mraize also gave her the captured Lift! 

5 minutes ago, Infinitysliver said:

Do you remember where? And I think i read somewhere what the chain was used for?

RoW ch. 64:

The sand originated offworld. It is only one of such amazing wonders that come from other lands—I have recently obtained a chain from the lands of the dead, said to be able to anchor a person through Cognitive anomalies. I fail to see what use it could be to me, as I am unable to leave the Rosharan system. But it is a priceless object nonetheless.

—From Rhythm of War, page 13 undertext

Apparently, there were rights one could do on Threnody to make someone into a cognitive shadow. I wonder if this chain was used for that purpose? 

If it is made from silver, and silver hurts shades, I wonder what it might do to a different kind of cognitive shadow if used with the right intent and/or command. 

Lastly, there is a cognitive anomaly in the Nalthis system. Is this chain useful there? 

Edited by teknopathetic

On 1/21/2021 at 9:11 PM, Kyn said:

RoW ch. 64:

The sand originated offworld. It is only one of such amazing wonders that come from other lands—I have recently obtained a chain from the lands of the dead, said to be able to anchor a person through Cognitive anomalies. I fail to see what use it could be to me, as I am unable to leave the Rosharan system. But it is a priceless object nonetheless.

—From Rhythm of War, page 13 undertext

You know, I forgot about that reveal being an in-world annotation of Raboniel's.

The curious thing is, how did Raboniel learn about "undertexts" in writing? It's something Vorin, as a corollary of separating literacy as a "feminine" art and thus a way for women and ardents to keep a parallel livestream chat window going on the side while reading aloud the text proper to a man. So the practice post-dates the Recreance, the Hierocracy, and therefore the prior Desolation by many millenia. And we know from Leshwi's reactions at the beginning of RoW that Raboniel is only just recently returned to Roshar.

I guess it's something to do with her form being scholarly and how she learned Alethi so quickly, too - something Connection based.

And why would Mraize give her such an object? It was extremely valuable, if it's the same thing (or type of thing) as what Kaladin saw in that Shadesmarket shop, but if she would neither recognize it nor have a critical need for what it could do for her, why present it to her as a goodwill gift?

What are "Cognitive anomolies"? It's implied that Raboniel realizes it as something that would be useful in Shadesmar in terms of getting off of or perhaps after leaving the Rosharan system, which she is unable to do. Or useful in a place like Threnody, or perhaps to get through to Sel via the CR?

My guess is that the gift was intended to impress Odium, who when he learned of it, would have realized (and would still realize) what it could do for him or one of his minions in effecting his will in the wider Cosmere. Perhaps not a Fused, who is bound to Roshar, but... Hmmm.... Vyre?

Of course she died before ever passing on the necklace or knowledge of it to anyone else on Team Odium. Yay?

Edited by robardin

8 hours ago, robardin said:

You know, I forgot about that reveal being an in-world annotation of Raboniel's.

The curious thing is, how did Raboniel learn about "undertexts" in writing? It's something Vorin, as a corollary of separating literacy as a "feminine" art and thus a way for women and ardents to keep a parallel livestream chat window going on the side while reading aloud the text proper to a man. So the practice post-dates the Recreance, the Hierocracy, and therefore the prior Desolation by many millenia. And we know from Leshwi's reactions at the beginning of RoW that Raboniel is only just recently returned to Roshar.

I guess it's something to do with her form being scholarly and how she learned Alethi so quickly, too - something Connection based.

That's an easy one to extrapolate, I think. She and Navani wrote the book together, so Navani told her of the tradition. Some of the undertexts are also from Navani.

On 1/26/2021 at 8:29 AM, robardin said:

My guess is that the gift was intended to impress Odium, who when he learned of it, would have realized (and would still realize) what it could do for him or one of his minions in effecting his will in the wider Cosmere. Perhaps not a Fused, who is bound to Roshar, but... Hmmm.... Vyre?

Dalinar if Odium wins the battle of champions?