Hi! I'm that Stormlight Animatic person.

ProfetessaOscura

So, hi.  I'm a long-time reader of the Cosmere, and I tend to haunt all of the Sanderson reddits.  I do comics of all the characters and animation/storyboard music videos for Stormlight.  I used to do a lot of forums on Figment(a now dead writing site) when I was a teen, and this is my first time getting back into a forum setting in a long while.  A lot of other fans reference 17th Shard a lot, so I figured it was worth at least popping in and checking everything out.  

If there's anything you particularly like about the forums or "a best part" as it were, I'd love a brief walkthrough.

Thanks, and hello!

4 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

There are RPs here?  I used to do some of that on Goodreads as a teen; it'd be fun to read through some of them.

Yes, there are!  I'm not part of most of them, but FOTT is pretty big.  It all started when @Channelknight Fadran was bored and wanted to mess around... now it's got six threads and like thirty characters.  I know @Condensation has made a few RPs.

5 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

There are RPs here?  I used to do some of that on Goodreads as a teen; it'd be fun to read through some of them.

Yep there are. Here’s the link to the page that shows all the topics (is it called a topic page? Ah whatever): https://www.17thshard.com/forum/forum/15-role-playing/

Just now, Spren of Kindness said:

Yes, there are!  I'm not part of most of them, but FOTT is pretty big.  It all started when @Channelknight Fadran was bored and wanted to mess around... now it's got six threads and like thirty characters.  I know @Condensation has made a few RPs.

Where do I find these?  I'm wading through the forums posting my art/writing/crafts where it seems appropriate, ha.

11 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Yay! Free advertising!

48 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

First I need to figure out character creation, forum and post order/pacing etiquette, and the like.
Is Siren's Call a Cosmere setting?  Which world?  
Pardon me while I go check it out.  :D

It isn't cosmere. As for forum RP etiquette...

I'll just give an example post:

Put all non-character posts in quote boxes.

Fadran did something in the world of the RP. "Hey, guys, I can use quotation marks to say stuff, just like normal writing!"

@ProfetessaOscura

Make sure to quote/tag whoever you're interacting with. A few things you should avoid:

• Swearing: It's allowed, just not excessively.
  • Sexual content: Innuendo is as steamy as you're really allowed to get.
  • Godmodding: Don't try to control someone else's character. There's a lot of gray area here, though. Most people are pretty okay with stuff that harms your character, I.E "I stab Fadran," but if it downright kills them or something, then we get a bit annoyed.

5 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

It isn't cosmere. As for forum RP etiquette...

I'll just give an example post:

Fadran did something in the world of the RP. "Hey, guys, I can use quotation marks to say stuff, just like normal writing!"

@ProfetessaOscura

Sent you a message with a character idea?

44 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

Is this like RWBY?  Like a Remnant - Stormlight blend?

:ph34r: *glances at closet where she's trying desperately to not let the RWBY RP die*

Anyway, welcome to the forums! I'll need to check out your stuff sometime :D I do need to tell you as a mod that we prefer that people don't post twice in a row, instead using the edit feature, though it's not a big deal.

Just now, AonEne said:

:ph34r: *glances at closet where she's trying desperately to not let the RWBY RP die*

Anyway, welcome to the forums! I'll need to check out your stuff sometime :D I do need to tell you as a mod that we prefer that people don't post twice in a row, instead using the edit feature, though it's not a big deal.

Good to know, thanks!  
Also, RWBY RP?  Lol.

1 minute ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

Good to know, thanks!  
Also, RWBY RP?  Lol.

I can add you to the PM (private message) if you're interested in reading and/or joining it, as well as the group chat for RWBY (though, actually, it might just be best to make a thread at this point...hmm).

On 12/30/2020 at 0:53 PM, Channelknight Fadran said:

My favorite is Siren's Call and you should join it.

Plus they are making a book out of it. 
Welcome to the Shard, @ProfetessaOscura!

I know we’ve interacted before, but welcome! 
What’s your favorite cosmere book?

Just now, Bearer of all agonies said:

Plus they are making a book out of it. 
Welcome to the Shard, @ProfetessaOscura!

I know we’ve interacted before, but welcome! 
What’s your favorite cosmere book?

Probably Way of Kings.  All of Stormlight is my jam, but seeing Kaladin struggle and bring up all those around him is fantastic.  Shallan is getting established in that book, and I didn't see much of her point in the book when I first read it as a kid, but she's interesting enough in re-reads.  The Way of Kings is definitely a Kaladin book, though.  That Taravangian twist, though!  At the end when Jasnah and Shallan had just been chilling with him, not realizing what he really is.  It's just such a great establishing novel with quotable parts and characters, high stakes, and ugh.  Wonderfully done.

I was upset at Mistborn when I was a kid because Kelsier was my favorite, and I thought he did a dumb with his final move.  On a reread, though... I guess it makes sense.