Everything AWESOME about ROW

On 12/4/2020 at 11:38 AM, JoyBlu said:

I agree with many of the favorite parts listed. 
One that hasn’t been mentioned yet was Eshonai’s ride with the Stormfather. I thought that was a very fitting and satisfying way for Eshonai the Explorer to end her story. It touched me, and left a pretty nicely tied up bow on her character arc. 

Adolin has not historically been a favorite character of mine. I haven’t hated him but I have not loved him either. I’ve been surrounded by many Adolin fans and just thought it was fun for them to like him. After RoW I am now joining the Adolin fan club. That man is good. I’ve started comparing him to my husband and pointing out the qualities they have in common. I think Adolin is taking over the role from Lightsong of what character reminds me most of my husband. I really appreciated how Adolin “handled” Shallan and Maya and was true to himself but didn’t give up. The star Spren scene was beautiful. I hope Adolin has someone to take care of him. 

My favorite Shallan scene was . . .

Shallan fell to her knees, arms wrapped around herself, trembling. “Oh storms … Oh, God of Oaths…” She felt a hand on her shoulder. “It’s all right, Shallan,” Veil whispered. “It’s all right.” “I know what you are,” Shallan whispered. “You’re the blankness upon my memories. The part of me that looks away. The part of my mind that protects me from my past.” “Of course I am,” Veil said. “I’m your veil, Shallan.”

That scene was so beautifully written after reading that I am now ok with her personalities. 

I felt that the Testament arc was properly foreshadowed and was satisfying but not surprising. 

Taravangion (Todium — what a fun name) was Super Surprising and just wow! I still don’t know what to make of all this. I wonder if Nightblood will be different now that he has been touched by a shard. It’s interesting to me that Nightblood wasn’t able to consume all that power. There were limits to what he could eat. 

@Truthwatcher at the Rim if you didn’t like that Warbreaker scene (which I didn’t either) then what did you think of Ishar’s tent scene? I did not like that scene - but it was unforgettable  I was guessing that he was trying to manifest Spren bodies as a way for him to eventually get off world — but that’s just my first assumption. 

The other unforgettable cringe scene for me is the thought of Wit kissing Jasnah’s safe hand fingers. *ick* I just can’t get over that he is so old . . . 

Raboniel was a wonderful character. The assisted suicide scene with her daughter was memorable. It make me think about lots of things.   

@Stormgate  Brandon mentioned at a signing last year (Starsight) that there were plans to make all the Wit stories into children’s books. The Girl Who Looked Up, Fleet, Wandersail, and now I presume the Dog and the Dragon. My fav is the Dog & the Dragon — by far. I am such a dog! 

One thing I appreciated about RoW is I felt that cosmere references were less obscured than in other books.  That made them easier to pick up on. For example when Wit was doing magic tricks with a coin Design pointed out that coins were not native to Roshar and spheres were normally used. This kinda dumbed it down a bit but I also felt like I caught more things on my first read through.  That being said I completely missed the leader of the Ghost Bloods is the “Lord of Scars” hint. I feel so stupid. It was written so obviously.  I remember thinking that I should know who that was but it didn’t click when I first read it. I’m blaming that on reading in the wee hours of the morning. And I hadn’t read Mistborn in years. Next time I read a Sanderson book I’m not reading the ending after midnight.

Whether or not you realize is directly correlated to how recently you ready Era 1. With some variation depending on how invested you were in the debates on who Thaidakar could be. So don’t feel too bad.

I was a: one of the people arguing about the theory and b: I was rereading TFE when RoW came out.

Not specific for this book but I'm a huge fan of Pattern and Cryptics in general. So awkward (ha ha) and their love of lies is borderline inappropriate (Mmm...). Loved this line

"Irony tastes good. Like sausage"

There was another part in Shadesmar when the Cryptics were all gathered together and getting excited about something Shallan was doing (that they were perceiving as a lie - don't remember what exactly). Too good

14 hours ago, Penhito said:

Not specific for this book but I'm a huge fan of Pattern and Cryptics in general. So awkward (ha ha) and their love of lies is borderline inappropriate (Mmm...). Loved this line

"Irony tastes good. Like sausage"

There was another part in Shadesmar when the Cryptics were all gathered together and getting excited about something Shallan was doing (that they were perceiving as a lie - don't remember what exactly). Too good

Pattern gets the greatest lines :P

Cryptics in general just crack me up, I totally get why you love them.

Welcome to the Shard, btw!

Agree with so many things stated here! 

Kaladin. He is and has always been my favorite character, and to see him fighting through all his pain and bearing such burdens while continuing to persevere for those relying on him, and putting on the mantle of Stormblessed even though he was breaking inside...I was so worried for him this book. I didn’t know what was going to happen, and then with Teft... :( That hit me hard. And realizing Teft has been there since the very beginning of WoK and has always been there for Kaladin...AhHhH. But then the ending—I was reading late at night and ended up staying up until almost 3 am cause I had to know what happened! Dalinar stopping a storm to give his highmarshal more time—Syl unable to remember the words—Tien, the one who’d always been Kaladin’s light :(—the Words. Finally Kaladin being able to say them, after struggling with this for his entire arc thus far—and saving his father (who was wearing the painted brands!), and Kal’s scars FINALLY healing (talk about symbolism!), and the shard plate forming (and of course he finds a way to use it to protect other people)....too much haha! I think this book really marks a turning point for Kaladin. He won’t ever fully be rid of his burdens, but he has finally accepted that he  doesn’t always have to be strong. I think he has taken one of his first true steps toward healing. I thought it was subtly significant that Kaladin admits to Dalinar that he wouldn’t be able to fight Odium in 10 days. Instead of gritting his teeth, pushing through, and ignoring his own needs, Kaladin actually realizes that he needs to take care of himself and he can’t be everything for everyone.

Wow—that was a rant! There was so much else I loved about this book, but you guys have named it already. Maya’s “WE CHOSE,” the Testament revelation, Raboniel, all the science with Navani, Eshonai’s ride with the Stormfather, Zahel using Awakening to spar with Kaladin, all the Cosmere references....now I just can’t wait for Book 5!! Why is it that I can’t help speeding through each book, when there’s such a long wait between them?