Chana, Daughter of Ishar?

Crackpot theory: Chana is Ishars daughter. This is entirely speculative, based on very little evidence, but it is a fun thought nonetheless. I base this mostly on ethnicity. All the other Heralds we know the appearance of (which is all of them except Battar) seem to be looking either Makabaki or Alethi. Ishar and Chana are the only ones who look Shin-like, which is my (very weak) basis for the suggestion that they are related. Another point of interest is that Chana looks rather young, while Ishar certainly is old enough to have a daughter. 

Thats it. What does everybody think?

I would hate this. Women shouldn't have to be daughters of famous fathers to be important themselves - I'd have hoped that we have moved on from the trope of women having to be a beautiful princess or a genius scientist's beautiful daughter to merit a role in the narrative. And it isn't like all people sharing the same ethnicity are related. But then, I am also disappointed in Pailiah's and Chana's pictures...

Edited by Isilel

4 hours ago, Isilel said:

I would hate this. Women shouldn't have to be daughters of famous fathers to be important themselves - I'd have hoped that we have moved on from the trope of women having to be a beautiful princess or a genius scientist's beautiful daughter to merit a role in the narrative. 

I think that it feels harsh to draw that assumption just based of Chana being Ishars daughter. Especially considering that Stormlight has people like Lift, Shallan, Eshonai, Venli, Even Navani or Jasnah, who are related to powerful men by marriage or blood are in the story on their own merits. If any character this far has been in the narrative just based on parentage, it is Elhokar.

I totally respect that you want Chana to be free of familiar ties with another Herald though.

8 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Crackpot theory: Chana is Ishars daughter. This is entirely speculative, based on very little evidence, but it is a fun thought nonetheless. I base this mostly on ethnicity. All the other Heralds we know the appearance of (which is all of them except Battar) seem to be looking either Makabaki or Alethi. Ishar and Chana are the only ones who look Shin-like, which is my (very weak) basis for the suggestion that they are related. Another point of interest is that Chana looks rather young, while Ishar certainly is old enough to have a daughter. 

Thats it. What does everybody think?

None of these three look Alethi or Makabaki. And it hasn’t stopped Ash from being Jezrien’s daughter (clearly, her skin tone comes from her otherwise unknown mother.) Vedel’s eye shape is a bit unclear.

6CA20343-E386-4E10-B115-8C3F554EE4DD.thumb.jpeg.c457beb0c5eb25d0363f4e6d57d6d019.jpeg529DDCAC-B4F8-4EE7-986F-8A5A2B4A37DF.thumb.png.1f6992a131c144928a1518eea51c3041.png10E59374-5508-453D-9B0B-258BCB635522.thumb.png.03d3e7ed36815524263f27b6a505bd73.png

Jezrien and Ash:

95617F5E-20AA-4DD0-A367-1804A069BC2A.thumb.jpeg.e985971e43d2886b2e834c50bc05a126.jpeg
388A24DF-D6B0-47ED-9909-C1EBB360E02D.thumb.png.8d7ea24b0a2916cbb029fc48123dbcb2.png

Having a different ethnicity is not evidence of a relationship or lack thereof. 

4 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

And it hasn’t stopped Ash from being Jezrien’s daughter (clearly, her skin tone comes from her otherwise unknown mother.)

Might also just be the art's inaccurate. The description of Jezrien in the vision says he looks Alethi but darker, and that Jezrien art looks almost lighter than I'd guess most Alethi do (though maybe my image of Alethi is just off).

Do we know if the appearance of the heralds remain consistent through their resurrection? And even if so do these resurrected heralds look the same as they did when they first lived? There could be some returned stuff going on with spiritual perception and stuff, in which case any of them could be comparatively any age. This would make sense for Ishar looking older and Chana younger too, just based on the orders they are associated with. There could be a connection with them that is more like a sibling relationship then, or even a parental relationship the other way. Though I do want to say, I'm getting a bit tired of everyone being related, so I do hope the only herald familial relations are Shalash and Jezrian.

I'm not terribly read up on herald lore however, so the appearance ressurection thing might have been answered already and this is all just nonsense.

Edited by OmniBident

20 hours ago, OmniBident said:

Do we know if the appearance of the heralds remain consistent through their resurrection?

It would seem like they have the same form at all times. This WoB implies it, at least (spoilered for lenght): 

Spoiler

Questioner

How do the Heralds come back? As Cognitive Shadows, how do they a physical body?

Brandon Sanderson

That system will be explained in the coming books, so that is a RAFO. I'm gonna dig into it pretty deeply. It's relevant for multiple reasons...

In the original version, Taln ended up in someone else, like they would get a body from someone else, which was part of fueling the "Is he crazy, is he not," because people were like, "I recognize this guy!" I don't use that system anymore.

Questioner

That's what I was wondering, because the Fused--

Brandon Sanderson

They use something kind of more like the Fused in the original draft, it's not that process anymore.

Questioner

Is that gonna give us lead-ins to how it worked with Kelsier?

Brandon Sanderson

Maybe. Maybe. You shall see.

Skyward Chicago signing (Nov. 16, 2018)

On 10/30/2020 at 8:14 PM, Algafix said:

Aren't this depictions how the Vorin church see the Heralds? Maybe they are biased.

I might be wrong tho because Chana has her safehand uncovered.

I’m not sure, but I do think they are in-world depictions. And no one has seen the Heralds in thousands of years. In my opinion, I think these are about as accurate as the modern day depictions of Jesus of Nazareth are.