Dawnshard Prologue

Gears

Poor Yalb. He must have thought he'd gone mad. Then the world went mad as well. [If I was him, I would never be able to get rid of the thought that this world was a hallucination.] Is that ship Rysn's? What happened? No flag though, so maybe it's not Rysn's ship. But if so, whose ship would it be? It's probably Rysn's ship, isn't it. [I'm a pleb that can't remember what things say, and also forgot to edit this for a while. It's First Dreams]

Edited by Gears

4 minutes ago, Gears said:

Is that ship Rysn's? What happened? No flag though, so maybe it's not Rysn's ship. But if so, whose ship would it be? It's probably Rysn's ship, isn't it.

Kaza's, I think. She was an interlude character in Oathbringer. The Soulcaster who was killed by one of the Sleepless.

1 minute ago, Honorless said:

Kaza's, I think. She was an interlude character in Oathbringer. The Soulcaster who was killed by one of the Sleepless.

Oh right! [I had completely forgotten about that, despite her being a character I was fond of.] That makes a lot more sense. 

Just now, Nathrangking said:

We need a reunion of Yalb and Shallan!! 

"I'm so sorry I forgot about you Yalb I should have come back for you." "The world went to crem, it's completely understandable." "That's still no excuse!" "I'm forgiving you, Brightness, just accept it."

I have to say, I did not see that coming! I was expecting the prologue to take place on the deck of the Wandersail. It's nice to have confirmation that Yalb survived.

Shallan saw Yalb surviving in WoR somehow, I think it's Shallan's ability to form Connections with those she draws (capital-C Connection, as confirmed by Pattern in the Battle of Thaylen City) could be something that the Lightweavers share with the Truthwatchers, they are supposed to be able to see something.

Extracts from WoR, pasted from over on the Discord server:

She paused, noticing what she’d drawn: a rocky shore near the ocean, with distinctive cliffs rising behind. The perspective was distant; on the rocky shore, several shadowy figures helped one another out of the water. She swore one of them was Yalb.
A hopeful fancy. She wished so much for them to be alive. She would probably never know.

She turned the page and drew what came to her. A sketch of a woman kneeling over a body, raising a hammer and chisel, as if to slam it down into the person’s face. The one beneath her was stiff, wooden . . . maybe even stone?

Edited by Honorless

So maybe Yalb reports this when they get back to port.  It comes to radiant attention that something odd is going on with that island.  They want to check the oathgate there anyway so they send an expedition.

20 minutes ago, Karger said:

So maybe Yalb reports this when they get back to port.  It comes to radiant attention that something odd is going on with that island.  They want to check the oathgate there anyway so they send an expedition.

Oh yeah, I was wondering why Lopen would be there with Rysn, I forgot he's a Radiant now for a sec there.

I'm also disappointed that sailor spren don't exist, also I thought that was Cusicesh for a sec. Heck, the "different familiar character" and being tied up and this novella being about Aimia, I thought it was Axies the Collector for a sec.

Edited by Honorless
Yes, I used "for a sec" a lot here

18 minutes ago, radiantAlThor said:

An interesting thing to note is that Yalb says the Alethi queen wants to train people to sail. So it seems like this is happening at the same time as ROW or in the year we skipped.

The timeline is confirmed that this Novella is taking place in the year between OB and RoW: Link

Also, Brandon is kind and the planned release date is before Rhythm of War's

1 hour ago, Karger said:

For sure!  There is a tasty link to this in the latest RoW chapter release...

Spoiler

Rock and Dabbid were helping the refugees, so Kaladin told them he’d seen the strange Fused again. Rock nodded, understanding immediately. He waved to his older children—including Cord, who carried Amaram’s old Shardbow strapped to her back and wore the full set of Shardplate she’d found in Aimia.

3 minutes ago, Chiberty said:

It's interesting that when Yalb is thinking about the Alethi queen, he didn't also think about how she was a passenger on his ship--and wasn't one of the three survivors.

Option 1: He didn't know the identity of the person on the ship [thought she was a mid-ranked lighteyes or something like that]. Option 2: He doesn't know the identity of the queen [or associate the queen with the passenger. Jasnah could be a common name. Or he just rejects the possibility that he had the queen on his ship because it's so ludicrous. Option 3: He's still in shock about the events and hasn't thought about it logically.

22 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

how the hell did First Dreams, survive out on the water all alone? for 5 months?

more weird stuff happening around Aimia

Did it drift for that whole time? The Everstorm would have caught it on open water multiple times. 

I don’t have a great sense of where they found it at. The crew is mostly Alethi, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are anywhere near Alethkar. 

If it didn’t get dashed into rocks it could have drifted on the currents and been blown around in the storms until the sails were ripped apart.

6 hours ago, Honorless said:

I have to say, I did not see that coming! I was expecting the prologue to take place on the deck of the Wandersail. It's nice to have confirmation that Yalb survived.

Shallan saw Yalb surviving in WoR somehow, I think it's Shallan's ability to form Connections with those she draws (capital-C Connection, as confirmed by Pattern in the Battle of Thaylen City) could be something that the Lightweavers share with the Truthwatchers, they are supposed to be able to see something.

Extracts from WoR, pasted from over on the Discord server:

So she has Connection with Yalb and the sailors which Explains her vision for that drawing.  When and where would she have made Connection with Shalash I wonder?

also, when reading the passage about her drawing of the woman with the chisel, I totally thought steel inquisitor, makes a lot more sense to be Shalash, but damnation how cool it be if instead of a chisel what she was seeing was a hemalurgic spike.

1 hour ago, Child of Hodor said:

If it didn’t get dashed into rocks it could have drifted on the currents and been blown around in the storms until the sails were ripped apart.

It would’ve been caught out in at least a dozen highstorms and everstorms.

during the Kaza interlude the whole crew went to the island and left the ship. So it should’ve been out there the whole time.

it should’ve went under when the storms past.

otherwise people wouldnt need to hide in coves and stuff along the coasts, when they came.  right?

Edited by Eternal Khol

1 hour ago, menacekop said:

So she has Connection with Yalb and the sailors which Explains her vision for that drawing.  When and where would she have made Connection with Shalash I wonder?

You dont need to meet someone to form a Connection with them.

after The Winds pleasure sunk, a couple chapters later, Syl changes form into Shallan on the beach after the Santhid saved her.

and she hadnt even met Kal yet.

maybe because all things/times/places are one in the Spiritual Realm. even though Kaladin hadn’t met Shallan yet, he eventually would, and because of that, there was a Connection?

Kalanit Taub

When Jasnah picks up the bead for the palace, is that the same bead that Shallan picks up in Oathbringer?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Kalanit Taub

Is that a coincidence or is there something else...?

Brandon Sanderson

So, whenever things like that happen you can assume there's little bits of Connection going on that's changing the probability a little bit. You're not meant to read much into it, but the probability is increased because of thing like that.

And you'll find, if you look really closely, there are connections between the characters that are really subtle that I'm doing, that anyone who's touching the Spiritual Realm or thing like that. For instance, in the second book, Syl turns into Shallan while Shallan is washed up on the beach while Syl is talking to Kaladin somewhere else. There's enough Connection going on that you see Syl change shapes, and Kal's like, "It looks like she's walking on a beach!"

It's just Syl... because through all of that, is turning into... You'll find things like that <happening> all through the books, really subtle, really small. There's just meant to be, one of the things in the Cosmere is Connection. Your Connection to people, Connection to things, places, influences probability a little bit.

ICon 2019 (Oct. 15, 2019)

Edited by Eternal Khol