What Taln deserves

Karger

52 minutes ago, Bearer of all agonies said:

He deserves his sanity back after all he did for humans. Most Rosharans go through life without a minute of torture and yet he spent 4,500 years, 45 times a persons life being tortured to save these Rosharans. HE DESERVES HIS SANITY.  

Actually this is an interesting question, Cosmere-wise. Since he and Nale both had their "sanity" restored at moments - during highstorms or Everstorms, and especially when Dalinar did that UNITY thing and brought the Spiritual and Cognitive Realms very close, even overlapping for a bit, with the Physical Realm - it would seem their insanity can be cured with a Spiritual Alignment. It might take something more than a simple application of Progression, as perhaps Lift unconsciously did to Nalan on that rooftop in Edgedancer (which if that was what did it, was only temporary). But it's possible.

Or perhaps Taln was never really tortured, which was why he never broke, and he, not Ishar, is the one who betrayed the others. And when he seemed to be happy to give humans so much time to catch up, he really meant he gave the parshmen or some other party that much time. 

Muah ha ha ha ha

• 3 months later...
On 6/30/2020 at 11:46 PM, Karger said:

Taln has given humanity 4500 years without even monsters destroying the entire planet at the cost of his own mind.  I think he deserves a break.  On top of that he deserves a beer and some nice drinking buddies.  What else does Taln deserve?

*Huffs theorily*

Okay, guys, I'll put aside my Intent for just a moment to commiserate with the best Herald... 

Taln deserves: a vacation to Hallandren, an apology from the other Heralds(living and dead, Jezrien can figure it out), the best counselling service available in the Cosmere(probably on Scadrial), a fully prepaid tour of the Cosmere with Brandon Sanderson and a 6 pack of Horneater White, an apology/explanation from Brandon, and scritches with Magellan. 

On 7/1/2020 at 8:31 AM, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Wait, and forget his life’s work? Everything he suffered for? Personally, I would hate to forget that my efforts were enough to save humanity.

He also deserves a nice long vacation to Purelake.

Maybe just forget the sheer horror of it while still remembering he deserves all the medals. Just all of them. And the noble peace prize. and the Oscar. Just everything

• 2 years later...

I think Taln just needs to leave. He needs a new home away from Roshar and away from the shards. I know that it would be painful for him to be removed from the world that he spent 4500 years trying to protect, but here's the thing, Taln is probably going to become a character in the back half, which means he's going to have to actually participate in the story and I'm so scared that more bad stuff is going to happen to him. Please Talk, just run away and find a safe place to relax. Let the new radiants figure out Roshar. This man needs a break.

If I were Taln what would I want? I'm not sure. My initial thought was normalcy, but then Taln hasn't been a normal soldier doing his job for thousands and thousands of years. Percentage wise, 99% of his life has been spent in war or torture. Based on what he's said...

1. He deserves to know that he didn't let anyone down. He never broke or forsook his friends or his world. It hurts knowing that he thinks he failed and that this Desolation is his fault.

2. I wish he could see each of the kingdoms he preserved for 4500 years when they were not at war. I wish he could see the gift he gave Roshar. I wish he could see little Alethi kids running around with swords pretending to be Taln Stonesinew, Herdazian chouta vendors, Thaylen teenagers being excited at their first trading deal, little girls stealing pancakes, everything joyous that is possible when the world isn't torn between 2-3 Shards. I hope by the end he gets to see that.

3. After that, whatever he wanted to do when he wasn't bound by a terrible responsibility to save a world almost entirely by himself. Who knows, maybe he would take up painting or gardening, but leave him free to choose, this man who gave everything.

• 1 month later...