Three moons of Roshar

Wyndle88

I am just trying to find some connection with this wishful thinking I guess.

So we know there are 3 moons on Roshar. Selas, Nomon and Mishim. We also know they were placed there artificially. So through Investiture. Then where are their Spren?

Selas - Violet. ( Name similar to Silver Kingdom named Selatales. Most probably Honor's Perpendicularity is in Silver Kingdom of Selatales. Also nearby Purelake.)

Nomon- Pale blue.

Mishim- Green

We know that when white light passes through a prism, a Spectrum is formed usually abbreviated to VIBGYOR. Violet Indigo Blue Green Yellow Orange Red. Yellow Orange We'd seems to be Cultivation' sector is spectrum.

The sky appears to be blue coz of the VIB part of white light refracts less.

So we notice all three moons share the first half of the spectrum associated with colours. So my guess is, blue is the colour of Honor and so all three moons were placed by Honor himself. I am assuming for some specific reason.

On earth, moon causes the rise and fall of tidesat seabecause of gravity. So what function do these 3 moons serve?

We also know that the three moons has a fixed schedule on Roshar. Appearing at particular times respectively one after the other.

I also suspect Cusicesh to be the Spren of Nomon. Appearing at the time the moon is over the horizon and not visible during day. So Cusicesh could be coming after Nomon sets. This could explain why he looks towards the Origin towards East as that is the only direction he knows as maybe everyday he starts from West and moves towards East. So he could be compass pointing East.

When the moon is close to the planet then spring tide happens on earth, when the moon is at Quadrant, Neap tide happens on Earth

Similarly if my guess is correct regarding Cusicesh, then the comes to signify maybe lowtide in Roshar or something, appearing the moment Nomon sets at the Origin. 

What do  u guys think?

P.S. this theory could already have been put our there, I'm not sure .

Edited by Wyndle88
Edited

Its spelled Salas. The Cusicesh thing is a big leap, as is Honor set the moons. The planet was designed by Adonalsium, the moons were probably set by him as well though it is strange that they are colour coded to the resident Shards

14 minutes ago, R J said:

Its spelled Salas. The Cusicesh thing is a big leap, as is Honor set the moons. The planet was designed by Adonalsium, the moons were probably set by him as well though it is strange that they are colour coded to the resident Shards

Coppermind "Selas".

Regarding Cusicesh as long as it's plausible I'm whooping with joy....my one good theory etc...

Have you ever seen a post or theory with possible color spectrum connection?

At first my mind went to the effect of highwater and lowwater of tides being connected to the moons and how Cusicesh could be showing up on the physical realm when the three moons go pasts the horizon creating a          see-saw effect maybe due to gravity along the lines of Surges etc....still thinking on it actually

Edited by Wyndle88
Additional info

4 hours ago, Wyndle88 said:

Coppermind "Selas".

Regarding Cusicesh as long as it's plausible I'm whooping with joy....my one good theory etc...

Have you ever seen a post or theory with possible color spectrum connection?

At first my mind went to the effect of highwater and lowwater of tides being connected to the moons and how Cusicesh could be showing up on the physical realm when the three moons go pasts the horizon creating a          see-saw effect maybe due to gravity along the lines of Surges etc....still thinking on it actually

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Roshar#Planetary_System

It's spelled Salas there.

The moons are more like Mars' moons, very small and more like large asteroids than large moons like Earth's. So while they have some effect on the tides and such, it's not a big one.

Also, the moons' orbit (which is impossible, btw) doesn't vary. The moons rise and set at the exact same time every day, in the exact same place. Cusicesh does his thing in the morning, long after the last moon has set.

The entire Rosharan system was designed and created by Adonalsium. Honor didn't place the moons at all.

You can find a technical discussion of the moons and their orbits in this thread

Edited by RShara

2 hours ago, RShara said:

Also, the moons' orbit (which is impossible, btw) doesn't vary. The moons rise and set at the exact same time every day, in the exact same place.

It also reinforces the idea that they follow the same rise times everywhere. (somehow)

How do we know that? Can you quote the relevant source? I can't find it.

Edited by ChickenLiberty

6 minutes ago, RShara said:

I'm pretty sure that was one of the conclusions in the thread that I linked.

Yes, I quoted that part of the thread, and @Jofwu says that it "reinforces" that they have the same rise times everywhere. What I can't find is the original source that Jofwu's analysis reinforces.

Edited by ChickenLiberty

13 hours ago, ChickenLiberty said:

Yes, I quoted that part of the thread, and @Jofwu says that it "reinforces" that they have the same rise times everywhere. What I can't find is the original source that Jofwu's analysis reinforces.

You're asking about the basis that they rise and set the same time everywhere?

I don't think it's ever explicit, but it definitely seems to be Brandon's intent if you consider it as you read. It's mostly just in the way they are spoken of, as if their schedules are familiar regardless of whether you're on the Shattered Plains, Alethkar, Jah Keved, or even Shinovar. Szeth mentions, for example, that the time between Salas and Nomon is the same in Shinovar as it is in Jah Keved (and as what we observe on the Shattered Plains). If the moons followed realistic movement on the orbit they are suggested to have, they would be rising and setting during the daytime in Shinovar. :)

It's Salas. I thought you guys were correcting me regarding Silver Kingdom city. Thanks.f

If the case is indeed like @Jofwu says, like a person standing on Shinovar would see the moons at the same time as a person seeing them from Shattered plains as people throughout the series signifies this by calculating the timings using the passing of these moons.

Day and night happens rue to rotation of the planet in relation to the Sun. So on Roshar, the moons appear every night at specific timings. What if they were geostationary? Would that explain it? Their speed of rise and set individually could be explained by the distance at which they are placed maybe ?

Or my other theory is that, since the land mass of Roshar is in the S.Hemispere, maybe the 3 moons would have been visible at the specific timings at night, if there was land in the N.Hemisphere would the moons be visible during the day?

Also from what I understand, Roshar system was made by ADO prior shattering. So the whole Roshar system was made "naturally".

So what would make the moons "artificial", that should mean it has to be made by someone other than ADO. And with the colouring specific for the moons is the reason I suspect Honor did it.

Our moon glows because sunlight is reflecting off it. So why does these moons have special colours? Maybe these moons are reflecting Honor's part of visible spectrum. 

Well green is a mix of blue and yellow....so mishim being green is because Cultivation took a hand in making it as well. 

I also noted something else

https://coppermind.net/wiki/File:Shadesmar_(TWoK).jpg

....in the colour artwork showing the map of Shadesmar, the frame of the picture shows a woman in the centre of the four sides with arms flung out. 

So top half of the picture is all blue colours (violet , indigo and blue) of the visible light and bottom half is yellow ( yellow, orange and red) colour of visible light. Green appears lightly at the point where blue and yellow meets. Maybe North part of the landmass is where Honor is concentrated and South to Cultivation?

Also in the Cognitive Realm we see a sun and shadows pointing towards it...is it the actual Sun of Roshar we see? If it is the actual sun, then why are the moons not visible in Shadesmar?

Do you guys think there is significance ?

Edited by Wyndle88
Addendum

52 minutes ago, Wyndle88 said:

Also from what I understand, Roshar system was made by ADO prior shattering. So the whole Roshar system was made "naturally".

But that word "naturally" doesn't fit, here. There was a purpose behind the design of the system, Adonalsium's purposes. In some extended theological sense this might count as "natural" but not in the sense of the moons' artificiality.

55 minutes ago, Wyndle88 said:

What if they were geostationary? Would that explain it? Their speed of rise and set individually could be explained by the distance at which they are placed maybe ?

Not geostationary/geosynchronous, that would mean they'd always be in the sky for one particular location and never move on. But you're thinking along the right lines.

Problem is to make this aspect work requires other contradictions.

It's all explained here: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/blogs/entry/683-why-roshars-moons-dont-make-sense/

Questioner

Back to Stormlight. Is there significance to the color of moons?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, there is a significance to the colors of the moons in Stormlight, but it is not a major player in theories. There is a significance, but it's not, like, one of these things that you're going to read book seven and be like "The colors of the moons! It was there all along!" Sometimes, I put stuff like that in, right? It's not like that.

Oathbringer Glasgow signing (Dec. 2, 2017)

• Chaos locked this topic